Honored Contributor

Re: Shabbat Shalom and a Happy Weekend to All 1/12/18

@sunala wrote:

@hennypenny wrote:

Donna, I remember when I was a little girl. Peach Melba was on the menu's of the fancy restaurants. It was such a treat.

@hennypenny- you must have been a rich little girl, because when I was a little girl I don't even remember going out to eat period! I don't think we ate out at all except a few times we stopped at a hot dog stand on the way to the beach. I have several siblings so going out was an expensive proposition. Of course when I became a teenager and began dating, all that changed, and now I barely cook at all!

@sunala @hennypenny  I rarely went out to eat as a kid.   I remember a special dinner out for my Sweet 16 and a few other family celebrations.  

We used to go to a hot dog stand in Fort Lee, NJ  called Callahan's.  I used to get a hot dog and a Yoohoo! lol   That location closed. They are now in northern Bergen County, Norwood, NJ. 

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@dmod nj and @sunala,

Going out to eat was a huge treat. It was usually for Chinese food in the city (S.F.)

We did go to Tahoe every summer and ate out then.

We were fairly privileged, but even so, it wasn't something that people did.

Donna, You make the "real" version, and it sounds wonderful. I, however think that what I had as a child was the "canned" version.

Went to Ca Dario, the other night here in town, had a fabulous dinner for our Anniversary. Grilled asparagus with prosciutto, and quail with polenta and spinach with mushroom sauce. Maybe we should celebrate bi-annually.

If you are ever here in town it is a must do!

Honored Contributor

Grew up in the mid 60- early 70's we would go out to eat on occasion usually Italian or Chinese, my parents went out alone for the birthdays and anniversary's and we went out as a family for mine and my brothers birthdays

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

@hennypenny wrote:

@dmod nj and @sunala,

Going out to eat was a huge treat. It was usually for Chinese food in the city (S.F.)

Donna, You make the "real" version, and it sounds wonderful. I, however think that what I had as a child was the "canned" version.

Went to Ca Dario, the other night here in town, had a fabulous dinner for our Anniversary. Grilled asparagus with prosciutto, and quail with polenta and spinach with mushroom sauce. Maybe we should celebrate bi-annually.

@hennypennyhow many years are you and mr. henny married?   Your dinner sounded so delicious!   

I looked up the restaurant.  The menu  looked so good!!   

Wishing both of you many more years of health and joy! 

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Respected Contributor

@dmod nj, Married thirty two years, but dated for ten years before. We were both gun shy and then figured why not----.

That restaurant is really wonderful. The desert menu is fabulous too, but we were good.

Thank you for the good wishes.

Honored Contributor

@hennypenny wrote:

@dmod nj, Married thirty two years, but dated for ten years before. We were both gun shy and then figured why not----.

That restaurant is really wonderful. The desert menu is fabulous too, but we were good.

Thank you for the good wishes.

We are married 32 years as well.......dated for 5. 

I like your attitude...............why not! 

I wish you and mr. henny at least 32 more  happy years together. Heart

Esteemed Contributor

@hennypenny wrote:

@dmod nj and @sunala,

@hennypenny- Happy Anniversary to you and Mr. Henny! 32 years is a milestone for sure.  @dmod nj - 32 years is a milestone for you and Mr. Dmod as well! Happy and healthy for another 32 for both couples!

Back then, I don't know if people ate out the way they do now. I'm thinking that some did, but we weren't wealthy and to make matters worse, we were kosher, so the only place we really could have eaten out was a Kosher deli. Once in a great while, my parents would bring in "delicatessen," including "specials," which were big hot dogs (I think they're also called knockwurst but they just called them specials, which were tied together in links.) I think they also brought in potato salad and cole slaw and baked beans as side dishes. My mother had to boil the specials and cook them until they split, heat up the baked beans (another dirty pot), set the table, wash, dry, and put away all the dishes and the pots...to me this wasn't a treat, especially since I was usually the one that helped clean up.

Boy have times changed!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Honored Contributor

@sunala@hennypenny

Thanks Sunny for the kind words.   I got very lucky with Mr. dmod.  He is a gem! 

I don't think people, even those who could afford to do so, ate out as much back in the day.   We don't eat out  often.........maybe once a month. 

I didn't  know your family kept a kosher kitchen, Sunny.   You're so right.  Clean up is always the worst.   A treat is to NOT have to clean up. lol  I enjoy cooking, but loathe the clean up.

I grew up without a dishwasher, and I was my mother's helper.  Even her "quick" meals meant lots of clean up. lol   No cutting corners with paper plates or cups were allowed. UGH! lol lol 

I did not get a dishwasher until my first home................when I was almost 29.  I was ecstatic!!!  I thought I hit the lottery! lol

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@dmod nj and @sunala,

Thank you sunny for the good wishes. I got lucky with mr. henny!

It is interesting. When I was a child, eating out was very rare and although my mother wouldn't let me help her cook, we were there to clean up. including sweeping kitchen floor and mopping daily. 

My oldest is forty seven, eating out for him is very special, the youngest is thirty and thinks nothing of eating out whenever the mood strikes.

It is a whole new world out there. No tolerence for waiting for anything. The "kids" want it and want it now.

The oldest son was thrilled that we had a lovely dinner and wanted details. The youngest just wanted to know why he wasn't included. lol.

My father was a reform Rabbi, and we did not keep kosher. 

Esteemed Contributor

This thread is such a blessing.  As many of you have stated, we didn't go out much when I was growing up either, unless it was vacation and even then, my DM would fry chicken and make potato salad. We would pull over and have a picnic the first day or two, at least for lunch.  Sometimes if we were gone long, we would buy some deli meat and bread and chips for lunch.  Going out to eat was a huge big deal.  I did grow up with "blue laws" that made it necessary to plan on Sundays as most stores, many restaurants, and even gas stations were closed.   I am not Jewish so keeping kosher was never anything that we had to be concerned about; it was strictly a financial reason that we did not eat out often.  And you know what, looking back on it all, I didn't miss eating out but i sure feel sorry for DM for having to plan all those meals, whether at home or on the road!   She worked full time and made it seem to effortless.    I sure miss her.