Respected Contributor

Re: Shabbat Shalom and a Happy March Weekend to All 3/17/17

[ Edited ]

@dmod nj

Hello!  You're so kind.  Do you think using whole wheat pastry flour would work for the soda bread?  I love shepherd's pie, but having a kosher household now, can't mix milk and meat....no delicious baked cheddar on top!  Boohoo...

I'm no cook, but I'd like to be, and these recipes seem delicious and doable.  Thanks so much. I'll let you know how they work out, or if I need help!

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you to everyone for joining us this week. 

It's joyful to see so many people posting and sharing their thoughts and ideas, regardless of their religion and/or beliefs. 

It does my heart good to see so many of you here every week. 

PS Please continue to post. We're never closed! Woman LOL 

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Esteemed Contributor

@sunala

Once again, thank you for being such a gracious hostess of this thread of peace. 

@dmod nj

I am of Irish decent as is my DH-his great uncle helped to found the IRA.  Your food looks wonderful and yes, corned beef and cabbage is more an American Irish thing.  That's ok-the Irish made do with what was available when they migrated here.  But if you can get your hands on some real bangers to serve with mash, I don't think you will be disappointed!   I do not cook lamb-believe it or not, in the midwest, lamb is not really an abundant commodity here.  But good lamb stew is as Irish as it can get!   I'm all about celebrating who you are, where you came from, even if it is from America!   Isn't it great we can all share and learn from each other?!  Now pass that shepherds pie.......Woman Wink

Esteemed Contributor

@mustang66lady wrote:

@sunala

Once again, thank you for being such a gracious hostess of this thread of peace. 

@dmod nj

I am of Irish decent as is my DH-his great uncle helped to found the IRA.  Your food looks wonderful and yes, corned beef and cabbage is more an American Irish thing.  That's ok-the Irish made do with what was available when they migrated here.  But if you can get your hands on some real bangers to serve with mash, I don't think you will be disappointed!   I do not cook lamb-believe it or not, in the midwest, lamb is not really an abundant commodity here.  But good lamb stew is as Irish as it can get!   I'm all about celebrating who you are, where you came from, even if it is from America!   Isn't it great we can all share and learn from each other?!  Now pass that shepherds pie.......Woman Wink

@mustang66lady thank you so much for posting here! I eat rather plain foods lately, and I don't have all that much of an appetite for meat anymore. Oh I won't turn down a marinated skirt steak or a rib steak, but ordinarily we eat chicken and fish most of the time. I think as we get older, our tastes change. 

I can't say I've ever eaten Irish food. I'm not even sure what it is except for the corned beef and cabbage (which I know now is basically American). I don't know about Irish stew at all, and I'm not sure if I'd like it. 

Thank you again for your input. It's always welcome around here! 

However, I do love my Chinese, Italian and Greek foods! Oh yes, Mexican too lol

Respected Contributor

@mustang66lady

i love lamb stew; we just made it this weekend.  But I do have a dilemma...

there are so many cute lamb videos on facebook, like lambs and babies frolicking together, that it's getting harder and harder to think of them as food!

Respected Contributor

Good morning everyone!  It's Monday, and may all who gather here have Shalom in their home this week!

Quick reminder, Shanus posted a thread here about Passover Comments and on the Recipe Forum, she also started a Pesach topic!

Please share recipes: Kugel anyone? How do you make your matzoh brie?

This month's issue of Hadassah Magazine has some fascinating topics-among them, a fantastic article on the role Jewish Midwives have played in our history to the present time.

In that vein, there is also a wonderful article about the trauma of still births....we all have an idea about that and what is not acknowledged.

A wonderful Israeli midwife set up a beautiful memorial in a zoological garden where women can come....

Of course, there are fantastic recipes too-including-gefilte fish!  I just might try it!  It's made in a loaf pan-does not have tons of matzoh....and could be "upcycled" as fish sticks!

Hugs,

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

@Justice4all wrote:

@dmod nj

Hello!  You're so kind.  Do you think using whole wheat pastry flour would work for the soda bread?  I love shepherd's pie, but having a kosher household now, can't mix milk and meat....no delicious baked cheddar on top!  Boohoo...

I'm no cook, but I'd like to be, and these recipes seem delicious and doable.  Thanks so much. I'll let you know how they work out, or if I need help!

Hi, Smiley Happy  I don't think the whole wheat pastry flour would work.   Can you make the shepard's pie mashed potato topping  with chicken stock  and no cheese?

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Honored Contributor

@mustang66lady wrote:

@sunala

@dmod nj

@mustang66lady   Hi, Smiley Happy  I don't like lamb....neither does my dear mil.  So, she taught me to use beef. She ate lamb growing up in Ireland, but did not like it.     I love learning and sharing food, customs, etc.  *passing shepards pie* Smiley Happy

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Respected Contributor

@dmod nj wrote:

@Justice4all wrote:

@dmod nj

Hi, Smiley Happy  I don't think the whole wheat pastry flour would work.   Can you make the shepard's pie mashed potato topping  with chicken stock  and no cheese?

Hello @dmod nj  Rats about the whole wheat pastry flour....

Chicken stock's a good idea...do you think it would taste better than oil?

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@Poodlepet2 wrote:

Good morning everyone!  It's Monday, and may all who gather here have Shalom in their home this week!

Quick reminder, Shanus posted a thread here about Passover Comments and on the Recipe Forum, she also started a Pesach topic!

Please share recipes: Kugel anyone? How do you make your matzoh brie?

This month's issue of Hadassah Magazine has some fascinating topics-among them, a fantastic article on the role Jewish Midwives have played in our history to the present time.

In that vein, there is also a wonderful article about the trauma of still births....we all have an idea about that and what is not acknowledged.

A wonderful Israeli midwife set up a beautiful memorial in a zoological garden where women can come....

Of course, there are fantastic recipes too-including-gefilte fish!  I just might try it!  It's made in a loaf pan-does not have tons of matzoh....and could be "upcycled" as fish sticks!

Hugs,

Poodlepet2

@Poodlepet2  I remember that Shamus posted on the Recipe board and there are actually some good ones there; if only I could eat them!

My mother made the BEST gefilte fish in the entire world, bar none. I watched her make it but really didn't pay much attention. But OMG it was so good. It literally melted in your mouth. She used very little matzoh meal, just a sprinkle really. I don't know how she got her fish to stay together without falling apart but she did, perfectly. Let me know if you try that loaf recipe!

I wonder why @Shanus didn't post here last Friday, or since then. She's posted on other threads. I hope she didn't forget about us! Shanus come back!!

Love to you all and have a great week xox