Esteemed Contributor

Shabbat Shalom & Happy Weekend to All 10/6

Shabbat Shalom to all who observe the Sabbath, and a very happy Columbus Day weekend to all!

Also happy Succot to our Jewish friends. Does anyone build a succah? Sukkot—when we expose ourselves to the elements in greenery-covered huts—commemorates G‑d sheltering our ancestors as they traveled from Egypt to the Promised Land. Coming after the solemn High Holidays, it is a time of joy and happiness.

I have a dear friend in England whose husband builds the succah, and she decorates it. They eat all their meals outdoors under the sky. I would love to sit inside and enjoy the food and the friendship. Maybe one day...

Here is what a succah can look like. They can be very plain or elaborate. This one is elaborate.

Image result for sukkah

And another which is beautiful but more simple:

Image result for sukkah

A BIG WELCOME TO THOSE OF YOU WHO ARE JOINING US TODAY, and welcome back to all our regulars. 

May all your loved ones be healthy, but if they are ill, may they soon be well.

To those of you and your family with health issues, may everything turn out well. May your medical tests and those of your loved ones come back with happy results. May your medical treatments be successful and may you live a long and happy life.

Sending prayers of healing and strength to you and your loved ones.

Now, even more than ever, may our leaders find the wisdom, courage and strength to make the right decisions for our security and well-being. G-d bless America.

Good thoughts and thanks to our military. May they come home safely and SOON. Bless all the servicemen that didn't make it home; and to those who are serving, thank you for being there to protect our safety.

Special prayers for all the children...may they be happy, have good health, enough to eat and drink, a warm bed, and the abiding love of parents and family who will protect them. May the children survive and thrive. No child should ever go to bed hungry, nor should anyone else in our beautiful, bountiful country. Help the food banks if you can. Even a little helps. May our own children and grandchildren be healthy and happy, and shed no tears of pain or sadness.

May your parents be healthy and happy as well. I hope everyone's mom and dad, spouse, and children are healthy, and/or getting better.

Condolences to those of you that have lost a parent or a loved one recently. May you find the strength to carry on, and hold good memories of your blessed loved ones to keep you strong.

Try to do a good deed for a friend or a stranger. They'll feel good, and you'll feel better.

I'm thinking of those of you who has lost a dear loved one. Whether recent or not, it still hurts.

Good health and happiness to everyone who shares their thoughts and prayers and good wishes with us every week. Hug your loved ones every day and make sure they know you love them.

May the best of everything come your way, today and every day.

Wishing you all the very best, and a happy and healthy weekend to all xox

I'd also like to send prayers to all the people who are still affected by the horrific hurricane in Puerto Rico and other Caribbean islands, and those who are suffering in the aftermath of the earthquake in Mexico. They are still in such dire need of supplies.

Shabbat Shalom, my friends, and prayers for better days ahead.

Sunny

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Honored Contributor

Re: Shabbat Shalom & Happy Weekend to All 10/6

Happy weekend, Happy Succot, and a good Shabbos to everyone.

Respected Contributor

We have a small but cheerful sukkah and are delighted to share it with our grandkids, shaking the lulav and having a semi-surreal yet serene experience in this crazy life!

Chag Sameach   Shabbat Shalom  and a wonderful weekend to all!

Regular Contributor

Shabbat Shalom and happy Succot to those who observe.

Have a wonderful Columbus Day weekend to all.

Mother Nature, please no more tragedies this year. It’s a long haul to recovery.

Conlolences to all of the people affected by the Las Vegas massacre.

Lechat

Esteemed Contributor

My 95 year old mother told me a story yesterday that I had not heard before. Our next door neighbors growing up were Orthodox Jews. They had a succah and, since my brother was friendly with their son, they invited him to share some holiday treats with them. When he came home, he told my parents how terrific everything was. Within a few minutes, however, he fell asleep before dinner. My mother was mystified until she discovered that he had been given some wine. My brother was in elementary school at the time. I don’t think he returned to the neighbors the following year.

Esteemed Contributor

@Vivian Florimond wrote:

My 95 year old mother told me a story yesterday that I had not heard before. Our next door neighbors growing up were Orthodox Jews. They had a succah and, since my brother was friendly with their son, they invited him to share some holiday treats with them. When he came home, he told my parents how terrific everything was. Within a few minutes, however, he fell asleep before dinner. My mother was mystified until she discovered that he had been given some wine. My brother was in elementary school at the time. I don’t think he returned to the neighbors the following year.

@Vivian- what a beautiful, funny story!!! How wonderful that your dear mom remembers the experience and is able to share it with you. Hugs to you and your mom, and happy Succoth to you!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Honored Contributor

@Vivian

Lovely story at times my 94 year old day comes up with great memories.

Happy Suckot and Good Shabbos to all here

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Good Shabbos and Happy Sukkot to everyone!

Just throwing this out there, not sure if someone has ever mentioned it here before -

For anyone who is on FB, Mayim Bialik of Big Bang Theory, who is Orthodox, posts many times of her holiday observances, with links to interesting and amusing (told with a light humor) videos made for her website and FB page Grok Nation.

She recently had great posts and videos up re Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur and now Sukkot.  She has guest posters/bloggers on a wide variety of usually Humanities-based subjects. You all might enjoy it - I do!

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Super Contributor

Shabbat Shalom to all you lovely people.  Wishing all of you a wonderful weekend filled with good food and lots of sunshine. 

Respected Contributor

Good Shabbos Sunny and friends,

I sure do love coming here and reading your thoughts and stories.

Sunny this is such a lovely, inclusive thread.

Hoping for a peaceful,thoughful weekend.

here's to celebration and treasuring life.

xoxo, henny