Respected Contributor

Shabbat Shalom (January 21)

[ Edited ]

Shabbat Shalom to all! Please stay safe if you are in the path of the dangerous winter weather. We are so far free of the snow & ice but stuck with frigid single digit/below zero wind chills. I have been cooking comfort foods & plan on staying in. Enjoy the weekend with your dear family & friends. Here are some bright colors to remind us Spring is on the way!

FB_IMG_1642783307598.jpg

Respected Contributor

Re: Shabbat Shalom (January 21)

Good Shabbos everyone.

Thank you Mommavic for bringing us together. 

Please stay safe if you are in the path of these storms. 

Be well, be cautious and be caring.

We are having a warm spell (would prefer rain).

I made a cabbage soup last night. I was going to make stuffed cabbage but got lazy and made the soup and added in meatballs. Turned out well. The same old Russian recipe but didn't bother with making the rolls. Lol!

Mammavic, how is your neighbor doing? I may have missed the latest info.

Honored Contributor

21 degrees here, stay safe and warm, and a good Shabbos to us all!!!

Trusted Contributor

@hennypenny funny, I may make cabbage soup this evening! If you have any time, could you share your recipe?

Shabbat shalom!

-Solar Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

Shabbat shalom to everyone!

Keep warm and well.

Maybe February Heart will be warmer than January where you live!

-Solar Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@hennypenny, Thank you. Our neighbor is well. With this Covid surge it is just best to stay in as much as we can but if we need to go out, mask always, social distance & wash well when we get home. Your cabbage soup sounds delicious! My Mom made fabulous stuffed cabbage My Dad was from Russia & I think he helped make it. I want some now!!
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I simplified the recipe. There are only two of us now so this is what I did last night.

I sauteed a chopped yellow sweet onion the the pan I used for soup. I mixed one pound of good ground beef with two slices of mr hennys Italian white bread, salt, pepper, dash or two of Worcestershire sauce, a bit of onion powder one egg, and recipe calls for half cup of milk or juice, I used milk., made meat balls and sauteed. Then sliced thin half a large head of lettuce/

In soup pot I put cabbage, two cans chopped tomatoes with juice, half cup lemon juice with two tablespoons of sugar. and a cup of water. I brought to simmer, added meatballs and let simmer.  This was from memory, I didn't get recipe out for the stuffed cabbage. The soup was good and toasty warm.  The recipe came from my oldest son's godmother's mother. She used to recruit us as kids to help make them.  She called them Proccus (sp?). We were supposed to give undivided attention and not tear any cabbage leaves. She would make one day and serve the next. She made large le creuset pots full and give to friends and neighbors.

I would love to see everyone's recipes for this soup.And your stuffed cabbages. oops!  I said lettuce meant cabbage.

Respected Contributor

Want to add, I have a physical therapist who came here with her parents from Bella Russe as a child. She is in her thirties now. Her mother uses carrots and other vegetables in her stuffed cabbage, and uses ground turkey or chicken instead of beef. 

Honored Contributor

Good Shabbos to all!  hennypenny's cabbage soup recipe tempts me on this frigid weekend.   This winter intends to make its presence known to many of us, so stay warm, safe and cozy.

MOMMAVik, thank you for starting this thread and presenting such a colorful bouquet of flowers.  I'm not much of a winter person; the warm months are my love. 

Trusted Contributor

@hennypenny Thank you so much for sharing this!

There's nothing like comfort food of our memories for this winter weather!

Stay well!

-Solar Smiley Happy