Super Contributor

Sewing Machine Recommendation please?

Growing up my grandmother taught me to sew and I made most of my clothes for years in my teens.  Then life happened, things got busy, and I stopped sewing...and when I moved a few years ago I gave away my old Singer machine.   Now I am interested in doing some simple sewing again..not clothes...I want to volunteer to make sheets for hospital NICU units.

Can anyone give me recommedations for a good basic machine please?  I don't need anything fancy and prefer not to pay too much...but I'm not sure what brands are reliable and easy to use these days.

Thanks so much!

Contributor

Re: Sewing Machine Recommendation please?

i love my kenmore

Esteemed Contributor

Look for a basic sewing machine. One without all the bells & whistles. I have a smaller Janome which is a workhorse - I'm a quilter and purchased it to take to classes & retreats.

Maybe try a Brother. WalMart sells machines but I don't know which brand they sell. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]
Spoiler

I have a Janome  Magnolia. it’s 10 years old and still works reliably. Good instruction book too, because I don’t use it very often, so the book is used a lot. I love the machine, it’s easy and basic- and doesn’t cost a lot...

Esteemed Contributor

I have a Husqvarna Viking. This machine is a workhorse and easy to use. 

QVC Customer Care

@srgtdj wrote:

Growing up my grandmother taught me to sew and I made most of my clothes for years in my teens.  Then life happened, things got busy, and I stopped sewing...and when I moved a few years ago I gave away my old Singer machine.   Now I am interested in doing some simple sewing again..not clothes...I want to volunteer to make sheets for hospital NICU units.

Can anyone give me recommedations for a good basic machine please?  I don't need anything fancy and prefer not to pay too much...but I'm not sure what brands are reliable and easy to use these days.

Thanks so much!

@srgtdj   QVC has a good selection of sewing machines, from expensive to more reasonable ones.  Take a look at F234924. Susan Q-Social

Frequent Contributor

@srgtdj I have an Bernina machine that is around 40 years old.  It doesn't have any of the features of the new machines, but with an annual tune-up it runs great.  If you have a good sewing center near you go in and try out the various machines.  When I was picking up my machine, I was in awe of what some of the machines today can do.  There was even one machine that was priced over $15,000.  It was gorgeous but a bit out of my budget!  The center did not offer refurbished machines, but perhaps that would be an option.  Just look for a Sewing Machine Repair Center near you.  You can also try estate sales in your area.  There is a great website estatesales dot net.  I know in my area there is often sewing machines offered for sale at very reasonable prices.

Respected Contributor

Hands down Janome.  They used to make machines for Kenmore, but now are on their own.  They are super easy to thread, to run and depending on the model you choose and what you want to do with it, reasonably priced.  My first one lasted 30 years and I'm just as in love with my newer one.  Does delicate and heavy duty sewing.  I have a DC2014.

Respected Contributor

I bought a basic Brother machine from Costco that runs good.  Walmart also sells them.  I think they run around $130.  I also bought a Baby Lock that I use for quilting because I need the larger throat area, but it was expensive.  You might check out your local ads to find a used machine for cheap.  I see tons for sale in my area.  People get them to learn on or for school projects and then they just sit and take up room.  Then sold for dirt cheap just to get rid of them.

I'd choose a Brother or Janome.

Esteemed Contributor

@godi wrote:

I have a Husqvarna Viking. This machine is a workhorse and easy to use. 

I have the same sewing machine and it's over 20 years old and still going strong.