Respected Contributor

Re: Seniors shop early/get nothing !!

I went to senior shopping hours this morn bc I was almost out of coffee pods and cream. 

Going that early did have some shortages but nothing you couldn't work around.  They were bringing cases of meat and veggies from the back when I was leaving.  My fear was what you describe but ppl were thanking the workers for what they are doing and the workers in return were thanking us for patronizing them bc in our area there are a LOT of grocery stores to patronize and they were glad they at least had a job.  

I told one of them - I figure two occupations that won't be hurting during this pandemic - grocery store personnel and medical workers.  

Honored Contributor

@qvcaddition wrote:

@suzyQ3 

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@qvcaddition wrote:

I had to call sons to get a few things for me.  I did most of my shopping last week, but now at 84 afraid to go out.  My daughter lives around the corner, but we haven,t spoken in a year.  My two sons are great and today got me some things I forgot.  I have stocked up on dog food through chewy.com.  

Our Cal. Gov put us on lock down.  Elderly  are pretty use to being at home.  We walk the dog, shop, garden and a few of us go to the gym Lunches with friends and little excursions.  Z

@qvcaddition, gyms are supposed to be closed here in California, and restaurants are closed.

I know, i,m speaking about normal times.  We don,t have the busy lives younger people do that have to be out with children and all the activities I had when I was a young mother and wife.  Yes my gym is closed, but I am doing what I always do even with a gym. I have  a gym size treadmill, stationary bike and DVD free weights.  So staying at home alone, I have enough to keep me busy and a little more positive.

Perfect, @qvcaddition. :-)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Super Contributor

they started senior shopping mornings here at 6am before the store opens to others at 7am. i was plesantly surprised. things were stocked well in most all departments. had fresh fruit, eggs, veggies, meats and toilet paper. so i was able to get the things i needed. i'm sorry to hear others around the country are not as lucky. 

Trusted Contributor

We also have senior shopping here in wis.Luckly,my son goes for me,so I don't go myself.same system close early,stock,clean then open at 6am.Hopefly this wont last much longer,saying a lot of prayers for all.stay safe everyone.

Honored Contributor

Please don't begrudge senior/at-risk hour.  They are at a much higher risk than most people.  They aren't the ones buying out a store.  Hoarders started the shortages by not being reasonable.  Suppliers cannot keep up.  Stores are now putting out certain products out a little at a time because people go nuts and want to buy it all.  

Respected Contributor

@Twins Mom wrote:

@sueinsf 

Let us know if that delivery works.  Thoughtful idea

@Twins Mom Wanted to give you an update.  I decided to do a 30 day free trial of Amazon Prime and order myself. 

I had a really good experience.  Overall, I had not too many substitutions or quantities limited, but some.  I was able to communicate with the shopper what substitutions I would accept and they had my order completed in an hour.  It was delivered 1 1/2 hours later, within my 2 hour window.  Very easy!!