Honored Contributor

Re: Seniors - do you tend to stay home at night?

@151949 wrote:

Our little Florida town is mostly seniors, retirement seems to be the main business here. In the evenings after it is dark out, you could throw a stone from one end of town to another and never hit a soul. We, like most everyone in this town, tend to like to be home at night. When we eat out - unless it is on a really special occasion, we go out to lunch, then just have a light dinner like a sandwich or soup.  We do sometimes go to a play or a show in the evening but daily we prefer to be all tucked into our little house once it is dark. Now that the time has changed that is going to be pretty early.Occasionally we may go for a walk in our plan at night but it is well lit here and we always each carry a flashlight.

When I was young I'd get home from work and eat something then shower and dress and be back out the door. My Mom always fretted that I did not get enough sleep, and I'd say I will only be in my 20's once and I'm not spending them asleep. 

My grandparents used to live in a retirement community in south Florida, and I have to say, things were pretty busy even after dark. There were goings on at the rec hall, shuffle board and the pool. People walked or rode bikes as the street lights were plentiful. Few used their air conditioning during the winter months, so windows were often open, even after dark.

I don't recall many of them taking out cars and leaving the community after dark though, and recall they mostly stayed inside the community.

The community was mostly transplants from the north, who appreciated warm evenings in January and February, and weren't going to waste them. 

Honored Contributor

As for myself, I live out in the country, and especially in the winter, my husband and son are working second and third shift, so I'm home alone in the evenings. I don't go out after dark much anymore, as there isn't really anything to go do in this area, especially by myself. 

When it is cold outside, and dark, I can't bring myself to venture out for too much. It just seems like too much trouble, more because of the cold than the dark. In the summer, I'm much more likely to be out and about in the nearest town after dark. 

Valued Contributor

LIke so  many of you, I really don't like to be out at night.  On Sunday afternoons we have choir practice, and when we get out (6 p.m.), with the time change, it is dark.  I don't like to drive at dark, but it isn't bad since it's not that late.  All I want to do in the evenings is get in my pajamas and read, watch TV, or get on the computer. I'm 66.  

Honored Contributor

No  We do our best vampire work at night.Smiley Tongue

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

No walking around at night anymore.  Too many coyotes, raccoons and especially spraying skunks roaming around as soon as it's dark.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

No walking around at night anymore.  Too many coyotes, raccoons and especially spraying skunks roaming around as soon as it's dark.

Yeah, I hear ya - we have coyotes, armadillos , bobcats and alligators.

Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@ROMARY wrote:

Same here only with moose and bears😳  Sad to say, with 

Respected Contributor

@AKgirl2 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@ROMARY wrote:

Same here only with moose and bears😳  Sad to say, with 

Sorry...Sad to say...with 27 homicides reported in Anchorage for 2016, I won't be venturing out in the dark unless I'm with my son.  Soon, I get to experience only 5 hrs of daylight again...oh the joy😨

Respected Contributor

We are seniors and we do go out with family and friends. It's still fun. It not as much as it once was. I do not go out alone at night any longer. 

Respected Contributor

I have always enjoyed being home at night.

When it's winter (snowy/icy) it's even more wonderful being at home.

I do play at a church every Wednesday night--it's about a half hour from here, and I never feel like going when the sunlight's gone.

However, I need to get ready right now to do it anyway!