Honored Contributor

Re: Seniors - do you tend to stay home at night?

@Zhills wrote:

@Ditzydori wrote:

We are snowbirds. When we are in Florida, we tend to go out every nite. Be it church, movie, dance, bingo, visit friends to play cards. 

In the poconos in the summer sometimes we go out sometimes, BUT This time of year they pull the sidewalks in, so we stay home sweet home.  Very quiet here now. I amuse myself being home, but I'm looking forward to going to Florida next month. 

That is the way it is where I live.  Yes, they roll up the streets in 'town', the local restaurants close at 8 (the chains do not and the bowling alley and movies stay open) because every community has a clubhouse and activities every night starting at 7 and many have a bistro where you can eat.   No one needs to "go out" to have a very active night life!  55+ communities have many advantages!

Do you live at the Villiages? That is the only place I know where there are "bistros" right in the housing plan. I think the vast majority of housing plans in Fl. are just that - homes and maybe a rec center and a pool or some other sport things like tennis or bocci ball type stuff.We used to be able to use the pool here at night and always enjoyed a night swim because there was no intense sun on us - but when we had our nazi HOA leaders they said no using the pool after 6 PM - Lord only knows why. I may think about getting that changed back !

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC for posting personal information

Respected Contributor

I took retirement. Does that make me a senior citizen? Yikes. We don't think of ourselves as senior. In any case, we go out when we feel like it. The position of the sun doesn't have anything to do with it!

Respected Contributor

If I can find something to do, I go out. I live in rural area, so I am not out alot, but my age (63) doesn't keep me home. I attend all my G-kids sporting events, no matter when they are-night/day. If they are too far, I ride with my son & DIL. I would certainly go out more, if there was something going on. 

Honored Contributor

I am 61, my husband is 62. We rarely ever go out at night( never really!). We never eat out. We prefer to eat healthy and cook at home. We enjoy being home at night. We go to bed about 8PM. Not much partying going on at my house!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I stay at home, but it has to do with eyesight and driving issues more than anything else.

I had cataract issues for several years before I had surgery. Due to that and even before that, I've long had glare issues and just felt I didn't see as well at night, whether perception or actual truth.

I have had surgery, and now have (probably permanent) glare issues after dark in one eye. I don't like it, so won't be wanting to do a lot of after dark driving.

I never did like dinner out by myself, so my splurges are at lunch and brunch. The bonus there is that it's slightly less expensive ;-)

I do enjoy concerts and evening performances and miss going to those, but since I now live in the country, doing these things would involve 45 min to hour+ driving each way on unlighted country roads I don't know well, so that's a nope, sadly.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

When you are young in your 20's you are out every night.  As seniors unless you have something specifically planned for in the evening, you are home.  Sometimes I have to run out for something (medicine, food item) but otherwise I am a home body.  All senior activities are in the day.  I live in an all senior complex and probably 98% of seniors are in a night.  We are tired from all the running around we did in our 20's so it's time to relax!   Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@libbyannE wrote:

I took retirement. Does that make me a senior citizen? Yikes. We don't think of ourselves as senior. In any case, we go out when we feel like it. The position of the sun doesn't have anything to do with it!

Not understanding your post. If you don't consider yourself a senior, why would you read and comment in a thread with "Seniors" as the first word in the title? Just to say you are not? Odd....

Honored Contributor

I take a walk with my husband nightly. We walk close to a mile each night. We have our fluorescent  vests, plus flashlights when we walk.  The little area we live in is usually  pretty quiet. I will not take a walk at night by myself.  If dh is not interested in walking at night (he still works full time), yes we are senior citizens (he likes his job and doesn't want to retire as of yet). We tuck ourselves in the house by 730pm. Doors are locked,showers taken and we are ready for bed. We do go out to dinner at 7pm on Saturday night after church, but nine times out of ten we usually go home after our meal. 

Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

When you are young in your 20's you are out every night.  As seniors unless you have something specifically planned for in the evening, you are home.  Sometimes I have to run out for something (medicine, food item) but otherwise I am a home body.  All senior activities are in the day.  I live in an all senior complex and probably 98% of seniors are in a night.  We are tired from all the running around we did in our 20's so it's time to relax!   Cat Very Happy

LOL your last sentence - how true!

Before I retired, all Friday office conversation was re what are you going to do this weekend, and all Monday conversation was about what you had done over the weekend. When I was in my 20s and 30s I was out of the house all day and into the evenings "doing."

The more years I worked, the more work took it out of me physically & psychologically. Combine that with, 40 years on, you have been there and done that for most things. They're not unique experiences any more. And there is the driving, the parking, the weather and the crowds that I wouldn't have cared about 40 years ago but make many things now not worth the bother.

When people asked me what I did on the weekend, I often said I thoroughly enjoyed either lying around doing nothing, or pampering myself (spa, mani pedi, etc). I want to relax and not "have to" do anything any more.