Respected Contributor

Re: See’s Candies

[ Edited ]

One of our business partners sent all of us at work a one lb box of See’s for Christmas.  Just opened it at work this week.  I had a piece of the peanut brittle.  It was very good.  Candy (local brands)here, have gone through the roof.  We have two local brands in Pittsburgh, both delicious.  Sarris and Betsy Ann.  Both are excellent. Very pricey like everything else these days.

Also have been buying candy from a local woman the past several years. She was selling it for $8 to $12 a pound.  She felt bad raising prices .50 a pound this year.  It is also amazing.  I think she is 87 or 88.  I keep thinking, this will be the last time.  I thought that 4 years ago.  Love to support locally if I can.  Gave many of her boxes as gifts and the recipients loved it as well.  

Esteemed Contributor

Wow! I do enjoy Sees chocolate but they are making it hard to buy at those prices. 

Esteemed Contributor

This was very fresh. Plus the samples they gave me 3 pieces that were nuts and carmel. Those were really good. I usually go there at Easter for some of the marshmallow eggs and other goodies.

Honored Contributor

Haven't purchased candy in years, so I didn't know how much prices have gone up.

Just yesterday I was looking at Hershey's website.  A 10 oz box of assorted is $19.95!!!!

How are these companies staying in business with those prices?

Trusted Contributor

As a kid I remember a really nice neighbor lady used to give me and my siblings (1) See's lollypop sucker for Christmas, in those days the cost for a sucker was 5 cents, now I believe the cost is close to or over $1.00 per each.  I used to stop at the See's counter at the mall and pick up a few for myself, my favorite are the Butterscotch and Chocolate. 

Esteemed Contributor

@SoCal Bred wrote:

As a kid I remember a really nice neighbor lady used to give me and my siblings (1) See's lollypop sucker for Christmas, in those days the cost for a sucker was 5 cents, now I believe the cost is close to or over $1.00 per each.  I used to stop at the See's counter at the mall and pick up a few for myself, my favorite are the Butterscotch and Chocolate. 

I think they are around $1.25 maybe $1.50 now. I looked yesterday but didn't really pay attention.

Trusted Contributor

@Meowingkitty  -  I just ordered a box of (8) Sugarfree Butterscotch See's Lollipops online @ $10.00 plus $6.95 shipping......told hubby that's his gift to me for Valentine's Day!

Honored Contributor

See's opens a holiday store in our biggest mall every year.  Great chocolates and priced less than Hoffman's which is a Florida chain.  I didn't go to the mall during the holiday season, so Imeasilyma oiled the temptation.

I still go to Hoffman's if I want a treat for myself--  don't dare buy more than a few pieces and their selection is excellent.  Staying away right now--  once I give in to sugar, I find it hard to control. 

Respected Contributor

Dh says these are their BEST and he waits for them every year.

See's Candies, Inc.: Summertime Has Officially Arrived! | Milled

Honored Contributor

my favorites.......peanut brittle (it is so dangerous once that box is opened), maple cashew brittle, peanut butter patties, peanut butter crunch. 

the holiday kiosk in our mall has not opened for 2 years now. so disappointing, but usually my s/o will send me a box of goodies for christmas, plus i know i can get it online.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein