Esteemed Contributor

Second wedding band / ring / set - what would you select?

[ Edited ]

With 40th wedding anniversary on horizon, husband offered to gift me with a left hand ring, my choice. He noticed I've been wearing the wide band since my anniversary diamond band is getting a stone replaced. I would like something for future retirement that would be ideal for more physical active lifestyle and travel. 

I have some ideas but wondered what my shopping friends would select in the same situation. Would enjoy hearing  ideas for yourself. Thanks - Jean 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

Re: Second wedding band / ring / set - what would you select?

When I was working I couldn't wear my engagement ring to work. Too many powdered gloves on & off all day and too much hand washing. I was afraid it would be ruined or lost. I just got out of the habit of wearing it. Now that I'm retired I have not gotten back into the habit of wearing it and I only put it on if I remember when I'm getting ready to go out. I wear my wedding band all the time, never remove it.

I don't know why the font keeps changing. 

Super Contributor

A few years ago my DH bought me a nice big Signet ring.  I love it, doesn't snag, goes with everything, no stones to keep track of.  I love it, you might want to consider a Signet ring.  

Esteemed Contributor

An unique band sounds great. My last name is a body of water - husband's last name is a tree. Looking for nature inspired, unique band. Will try Esty perhaps. Leaves are a favorite visual for me. May even try rose gold. Something different.  

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

@jeanlake that would be neat if you could find a design that has a tie in with your name. My second wedding ring is an old Diamonique stone in a sturdy 14K gold band. Now that I am gardening and doing heavy duty cleaning, I was fearful that I might do harm to my expensive wedding set, yet I like to wear a wedding band so this suffices.

Honored Contributor

Get a his and her set that is handmade.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

For our tenth anniversary DH and I had custom made bands for our tenth anniversary.  They are wide bands of silver with applied 14 k nature designs by nationally known NA artist Watson Honanie.

Honored Contributor

@jeanlake wrote:

With 40th wedding anniversary on horizon, husband offered to gift me with a left hand ring, my choice. He noticed I've been wearing the wide band since my anniversary diamond band is getting a stone replaced. I would like something for future retirement that would be ideal for more physical active lifestyle and travel. 

I have some ideas but wondered what my shopping friends would select in the same situation. Would enjoy hearing  ideas for yourself. Thanks - Jean 

@jeanlake  I’m not clear if you’d like to purchase something new or redo your wide band and anniversary band into a ring? 

If you’d like to combine the 2 rings into 1, I’d suggest bezel setting the diamonds on the gold band...as if the anniversary band was sitting between 2 gold band rings. It would be low profile, protecting the stones when you retire. You also can combine your rings that way and retain their  sentimental value. Happy (almost) Anniversary. 🍷

Respected Contributor

@jeanlake Try searching a band in "Black Hills Gold". I know they have some with leaves. I would try to find something smooth. I've found stones only snag clothing & then the fact of losing them. 

My 2nd marriage, we got matching bands. For our 10th anniversary, I was dead set on a diamond set. I picked out a beautiful marquise set. I never took it off. Then our 13th yr, he was caught cheating. I had the set, re-set & I hated it. I hardly ever wore it, wish I had never reset the stones. It sits in my jewelry box. Sorry for the long story,lol. 

Trusted Contributor

For a physically active lifestyle, you might want a simple band to wear while doing activities and/or a bezel or deepest setting of stones for more formal occasions like date night.  I have a three stone ring with stones down the shanks for date nights with guard rings for more formal occasions (diamonique guards, real main ring, all 14k).  Daily I wear a 10K band.  I also have other diamonique rings to change out with depending on occasion, metal color, etc.  HTH