Honored Contributor

Re: Season's Greetings from the Back Fence - December 2016

@Winifred

Problem child niece had a Keurig and loved it.  I'm a pot of water and Maxwell house instant coffee girl, lol.  Every one in a while, I channel my paternal grandma and do Chock full of Nuts coffee with a stove top percolater.  My hubbie wasn't a coffee drinker so I saw no sense in making a pot in the morning when I work and wouldn't be there to drink it.  I do have a coffee maker for if company comes over - not that I've used it in a long time.  Middle sister is a tea girl.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

@yock

I use an oral B chargeable toothbrush (bought it from Meijers).  I only use oral B heads, too scared to try no brand. 

They said it would be in the low 30's today.  Guess that means I'll only need 2 blankets tonight versus 3.  And my thermostat is on 77.  Ain't it a shame?  I even wear a hoodie to bed and yes I put the hood up.  I guess if nothing else, if I get an emergency call in the middle of the night, I'll be dressed as I also sleep in long sleeved tees (not an undershirt, the kind of shirt you wear during the day) and yoga pants and socks.

I'm a mess, rofl.

Honored Contributor

I'm leaving some Zicam rapid melts in cherry.  I swear by this stuff and am convinced that if I didn't take them when the cold started, I would have been in urgent care with bronchitis.

Image result for zicam rapidmelts

Trusted Contributor

@Imadickens wrote:

@Epicurean. Was yummy! Share the recipe, please (only if it's easy!)

Here ya' go.

in crockpot put 1 red,1 orange 1 yellow pepper.sliced to 1/4 in. Thick.

add,2 garlic cloves,sliced,1 large onion,sliced,1 teaspoon of ground cumin,1 teaspoon dried oregano, and 1 bay leaf.stir to mix.

placed flank steak on top.cut them to 1/4 -1/2 in. Thick.

salt to taste.

pour one 14 1/2 oz. can of diced tomatoes,with liquid over top.

add-sliced jalapeño if desired.

cover and cook on low for5-8 hours. Check after 5 hours to see if meat is done.

enjoy!!

we had ours over rice.

Honored Contributor

I got a bit of bad news today. My youngest sister needs a lumpectomy asap. She isn't dealing with it well. She was told she is at high risk for cancer ,and  she panicked.

She told me ,she now wants her entire breast removed. I hope when she  calms down a bit, she reconsiders this. The lump was  biopsied, and was found to be non cancerous. I can understand the fear, cancer is such a scary thing.

We all seem to ride a roller coaster, emotionally, this time of year.

Honored Contributor

@cherry

To some degree I understand where she is coming from.  Before I turned 30, I grew what I describe as a hagnot that was at the upper portion of the breast area on the chest wall.  I have always been thin and it was obvious.  I was told it was benign and I tolerated that less than a year and said, get this thing out of me.  At that exact point of time I didn't know if I was looking at a malignancy.  The 'oh it's nothing' was based on repeated mammograms.

I was ready to get rid of the right one and it's sister to the left - I am not kidding.

I ended up keeping both - they did remove the entire thing and margins and it was benign.

I will pray she calms down.  Perhaps if they present it this way - let them remove it and if they see anything fishy during the outpatient surgery, they'll take the entire breast.

I have dense tissue and am certifiably fibrocystic.  I was not told I was at a high risk of CA so I can understand her fear factor right now.

Trusted Contributor

Cherry, 31 years ago I went through what your sister is feeling. I couldn't decide what to do.  My lump was cancerous.  The decision making was worse than the surgery. Back then lumpectomy Were just starting to be a method.  I ended up having a modified radical mastectomy.   I had intended to have reconstruction but decided against it.  I went through six months chemo and a yeAr later had a recurrence and went through radiation.   

If I had that choice to make today, I would choose lumpectomy    Even taking the breast, I had recurrence.  My younger sister had a lumpectomy and reconstruction and is doing well. On hot days, wearing a heavy thing in your chest is not fun. On cold days it's like putting on an ice pack.  I'm glad to hear she was cancer free and I hope she'll leave her parts intact.  From now on she and her doctors will be on alert and that is a great comfort blanket.  Treatment has changed much since I had mine and the testing is thorough.  Just my two cents if you'd like to pass it on to your sis.  The scare of cancer made me notice how blue the sky is and how green the grass.  My faith and friends brought me through and of course, my family.  

Honored Contributor

Thank you ladies I will share your stories with my sister

Honored Contributor

@yock

Gimme a hug sweetie (((((Betty)))))

Trusted Contributor

You got it