Esteemed Contributor

Re: SeaMaiden...

[ Edited ]

@occasionalrain wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

@occasionalrain wrote:

In defense of SeaMaiden, those coming to her home were neither personal guests nor salesmen but strangers with a favor/gift it would seem. Definitely, they should be received as guests which was exactly what SeaMaiden was asking.

That she was careful about posting more about them was meant to prevent exposing her identity.

then perhaps she should NOT have posted this along the way in the other thread........but hey, it was her story to tell and we just went along for the ride waiting for the end.

just a few hours...not over night. It is a long story and I will fill you all  in one this  visit and why they are coming a bit later.  It is rather exciting!

She may have reconsidered after speaking with her husband or after reading the unpleasant responses that some posted. 

I was done with this topic, but I'm sure I'm one of the posters you're referring to, and I'm inclined to defend myself.  The OP got upset with a few of us who simply pointed out what she herself had revealed late in the game.

She had started more than one thread about this, and posted confusing and contradictory information.  She let many helpful posters (including me) continue to post advice that was clearly inappropriate for her situation, and she didn't correct or clarify until someone finally asked who these visitors were.

I'm not sure what you mean by "strangers with a favor/gift", but that doesn't sound like "entertaining" to me, and she used that word repeatedly.  As it turned out, she ended up offering them coffee and cookies and they declined.  They didn't even accept water.  Which is what several of us had told her would happen once she finally said these people were coming to discuss working on the outside of her home.  A few posters pointed out that they weren't coming to be entertained, which clearly was correct.

I personally don't care about the reason for the visit.  There's been so much conflicting information that I would take it with a grain of salt at this point anyway.  But I really disagree that she was clear about what she was asking.  Because she absolutely was not.   I don't think it was deliberate.  I think there was poor communication, and it got out of control.  If she doesn't want to comment on this any further, I think everyone should leave her alone.  

Honored Contributor

@NYC Susan My guess is that she was selected to receive an outside renovation at no cost, so those visiting were guests and should receive hospitality whether or not they expected or accepted the offered of coffee and cookies.

I wasn't referring to you, I like your posts. I can understand losing patience and feeling mislead; I just felt the OP meant well and deserved a pass.

Respected Contributor

I think @SeaMaiden could come back with her explanation and everyone can move forward.  I think the anticipation we all were expecting after the posts leaves a "WHAT?" taste in our mouths.  I personally think she should post what happens but who cares what i think.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Happy to hear you enjoyed your company and am sure they enjoyed spending time with you.

As Sinatra said " I did it my way" and that is what you did, and for the rest as someone else had once said, "keep them guessing".

Um, just for fun, let us title it, The Mystery of the SeaMaiden!

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus- I saw a totally separate post from the OP a little while ago, and decided to just move past it. I'm not falling for that again....a situation needs to be explained when looking for opinions, especially when a number of people keep asking for more information. It was a totally ridiculous post, and yes, a weird experience as well.

Honored Contributor

I opened this not having a clue about what went on and I still don't understand. My only thought is that when you ask for suggestions, you need to give enough background information so that the advice is appropriate to the situation. My house is never immaculate, but always clean enough to invite guests in. If whatever happened caused @SeaMaiden to make positive changes, that is a great thing.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@occasionalrain wrote:

@NYC Susan My guess is that she was selected to receive an outside renovation at no cost, so those visiting were guests and should receive hospitality whether or not they expected or accepted the offered of coffee and cookies.

I wasn't referring to you, I like your posts. I can understand losing patience and feeling mislead; I just felt the OP meant well and deserved a pass.

I don't think anyone ever said they shouldn't receive hospitality.  But posters were very far off-base, and it wasn't their fault.  I'm referring to things such as telling her to light candles, have an assortment of this or that, ask what they like for breakfast, buy a coffeemaker, make accommodations for what several posters thought were overnight guests, extreme cleaning of her home both inside and out, etc.  None of those things are necessary (or even make sense) for someone coming for the reason she said, and some of them were fairly costly.  If she had been clear from the beginning or if she had been clear at any point, she would have received good advice from many, many well-meaning posters that would have been of more use to her.

Offering coffee and cookies is fine.  In this type of situation, I would always offer, but would expect that they would prefer to get down to business since that was the reason for the visit.  Several of us told her repeatedly to keep it simple.  Clearly she was stressed, and she didn't need to be doing a whole lot of preparation.  I think every poster really did try to help.  But it was clearly not friends or family coming to stay overnight or even for an afternoon, which would be entirely different.  The various suggestions made it more complicated than it needed to be, and again it wasn't their fault.

I wrote several posts that were helpful and the OP never replied, which is fine.  I didn't expect to be acknowledged or thanked.  But after she revealed that these visitors were coming to discuss doing work on her home, I wrote another post in which I mentioned that.  And she jumped on me.  So yes, I not only felt misled but I felt that she was out of line.  Lashing out at others when she was the one who had been unclear from the beginning is unfair, especially since most of us (if not all) had previously taken the time to write thoughtful, helpful posts.  That's why this whole thing hits a nerve for me.

I agree that she meant well.  I think her nerves overtook her, and she had trouble being clear.  As I said, I think everyone should leave her alone and not badger her about the reason for the visit.  I suspect I know, but it's best to just move on.

Thank you for the nice compliment, by the way.  I know that you and I have disagreed on occasion, but we have agreed at times too.  IMO these forums are becoming more and more dull every day, so I'm happy to see posters expressing their opinions and conversations continuing as a result.

Super Contributor

@jannabelle1 wrote:

@Shanus- I saw a totally separate post from the OP a little while ago, and decided to just move past it. I'm not falling for that again....a situation needs to be explained when looking for opinions, especially when a number of people keep asking for more information. It was a totally ridiculous post, and yes, a weird experience as well.

@jannabelle1

So true - a ridiculous post.  Whenever I see a new thread opened by SeaMaiden, I just flip right on by it. Not interested in her thoughts or questions to others after that strange thread.

Deep In The Heart of Texas
Esteemed Contributor

@happycat wrote:

People are confused and letting their imaginations run wild, I think. I was gonna post that I thought she had a long lost lover coming to visit, thats why it was just in the daytime and her hubby was working.

But, I thought better of it. I'm sure @SeaMaiden is having more fun than I am whatever she is doing. I have a snoring lab on me and I hate to move and wake him.

@happycat  I would rather have a snoring lab on me than a long lost lover anyday LOL!!!
Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Trusted Contributor

@moon_gazer

Wow, this has been strange.  I agree with you.  I just saw another post requesting suggestions.  I would suggest ignoring that and future posts.  Very weird.