Esteemed Contributor

Re: School went peanut free and parents are complaining

@151949 wrote:

My niece was telling me her kids can't even eat peanut butter at home this year because of one child with an extreme allergy who would have a reaction just from the peanuts being on the breath of another child. She is giving her kids Nutella instead.

Sorry, the school has no authority as to what a child may or may not eat outside their doors. 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Valued Contributor

@151949 wrote:

My niece was telling me her kids can't even eat peanut butter at home this year because of one child with an extreme allergy who would have a reaction just from the peanuts being on the breath of another child. She is giving her kids Nutella instead.

From kidshealth.org

Although a small amount of peanut protein can set off a severe reaction, it is rare that people get an allergic reaction just from breathing in small particles of nuts or peanuts, since the protein has to be ingested (swallowed) to cause a reaction. Most foods with peanuts in them don't allow enough of the protein to escape into the air to cause a reaction. And just the smell of foods containing peanuts won't produce a reaction because the scent does not contain the protein.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I am not sure any school can regulate what the students eat at home.  However, it's nice of her to be considerate.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@151949 wrote:

Sorry, the school has no authority as to what a child may or may not eat outside their doors. 

Yes, but if you gave your child PB at home and another child was made ill because of it wouldn't you feel terrible?

Honored Contributor

@physicsnut wrote:

@151949 wrote:

From kidshealth.org

Although a small amount of peanut protein can set off a severe reaction, it is rare that people get an allergic reaction just from breathing in small particles of nuts or peanuts, since the protein has to be ingested (swallowed) to cause a reaction. Most foods with peanuts in them don't allow enough of the protein to escape into the air to cause a reaction. And just the smell of foods containing peanuts won't produce a reaction because the scent does not contain the protein.

Rare doesn't mean non-existent.

Honored Contributor

@Mj12 wrote:

@physicsnut wrote:

@151949 wrote:

From kidshealth.org

Rare doesn't mean non-existent.

My niece was told this by the school before the school year started. The kids are not to eat peanut butter and then come to school. Her kids liked PB for breakfast so she got them Nutella instead.

Contributor

Yes. I do not recall this being a problem years back. No child should be ridiculed for any reason but I would have had a huge problem if this occurred when my child was in school. He was a very difficult eater and as much as we tried to introduce him to many foods he refused to eat anything but peanut butter sandwiches. That would have been a big problem for me.

Respected Contributor

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

My granddaughters Prechool/ Kindergarden went peanut free this year. Some parents are complaining that their kids are being 'punished' because other kids can't eat or be around nuts. They are calling these poor children "The Peanut Kids" and telling their children IT IS THEIR FAULT because they are not allowed snacks with peanut butter.

Although my granddaughter CAN eat peanuts, she has a severe allergy to TREE NUTS. The teacher has an Epi pen for her. and she sits at the "peanut table".

I can't believe people could be so mean about an issue that can KILL another child.

Why is there a peanut table if peanuts/peanut butter is banned from the school?

Respected Contributor

If a child is so sensitive to peanuts that she or he could have a reaction Monday to another child consuming peanut butter at home on Saturday, the affected child should be home schooled for her or his own safety.

Esteemed Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@151949 wrote:

Yes, but if you gave your child PB at home and another child was made ill because of it wouldn't you feel terrible?

Don't think it would make a difference but sure go ahead you can feel bad about it. However it does not give the school the authority to dictate what your child can eat outside of school. 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.