Respected Contributor

Re: School went peanut free and parents are complaining

Noel, yes he was lucky.  Even just the smallest bit of peanut anything puts him at risk for anaphylactic shock.  

With regard to the incident on the bus, my parents could've filed a lawsuit but didn't.  But there are those who would have.  Currently, something like this would more likely end in court with a potentially hefty $$$ settlement.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

First let me say, I have a great deal of empathy for children and their parents that suffer from peanut allergies or any life altering allergy. I am deathly allergic to shellfish.

Also, I think it is wrong for parents to tell their children they are being punished because Johnny or Suzy cannot eat peanuts.

I have mixed feelings about these complete bans.  I had a son who was the world's worst eater.  He took peanut butter and jelly sandwiches in his lunch EVERY SINGLE DAY of elementary school.  If it had banned, I do not know what he would have eaten.

If an allergy is so severe you will go into shock merely from breathing peanuts in the air, I do not know how you will survive in the world.  You can ban it from your home, you can ban it from school, but you cannot ban it from the real world.  You can come in contact anywhere with someone that could have just had a product containing peanuts.

I do not know what the answer is but I do not think it is realistic to think every person will respect a ban.  Once in the gate area, they announced this would be a peanut free flight due to a medical condition of a passenger.  When we were on the plane, the flight attendant made an announcement reminding everyone.  I saw a parent give a child trail mix, I'm sure had peanuts in it.  Whether it was without even thinking about it, or it was intentional, I do not know.

Trusted Contributor

The schools are doing the right thing to protect the children who are allergic to nuts. Some of the parents are so self centered and teaching their children the same bad trait not to understand that some have bad slide effects and must take caution.

So feed your children peanut butter at home have some compassion for the ones with the alergies . My goodness it is simple as that. Give these children some consideration of the fact that they can not be around peanuts or other nuts. Consider yourself fortunate you or your child are not allergic.

Honored Contributor

I think that if people have problems that they are the ones who should find a way to make their life work.I have allergies too but I don't expect anyone to change their life for me.I find ways to cope just like everyone else that I knew growing up.I realize that the peanut allergy can be deadly but if that were the case for my child then I would find a solution and not trust that others would take care of it..how can you trust children to understand the health problems of others when they don't really understand life and death yet.What about out in public where many people are snacking on the run and grocery stores that sell nuts...should peanuts be banned in this country?

Trusted Contributor

@dex wrote:

I think that if people have problems that they are the ones who should find a way to make their life work.I have allergies too but I don't expect anyone to change their life for me.I find ways to cope just like everyone else that I knew growing up.I realize that the peanut allergy can be deadly but if that were the case for my child then I would find a solution and not trust that others would take care of it..how can you trust children to understand the health problems of others when they don't really understand life and death yet.What about out in public where many people are snacking on the run and grocery stores that sell nuts...should peanuts be banned in this country?

Wow, what a compassionate soul you are.

~Breathe In~ Breathe Out~ Move On~
Honored Contributor

I TOTALLY agree with posters who state that circumstances change in a nanosecond when YOUR CHILD has the problem.

All non allergic children should consume what they wish at all times, AT HOME.

No child EVER STARVED because they were DEPRIVED of PB at one meal a day.

I HATE NIMBY thinking, but it goes away SO QUICKLY when the victim is YOU, or someone YOU love.

Esteemed Contributor

Like the O/P, I have a granddaughter who is not allergic to peanuts but is severely allergic to tree nuts. She, too, sits at the nut allergy table. I can understand why a school would go peanut free. It's far easier than to try to monitor kids' behavior. There are peanut butter substitutes made of soy, I think. I understand that peanut butter and jelly sandwiches are a staple for children's lunches, but they are not the only things they can eat. 

Honored Contributor

Where do you live?  Our schools/dsycares/camps/after school programs have been peanut free since I had young children, 20 plus years ago.  I suppose there was some grumbling 20 years ago but with some education on the subject, people understand the need.  Apparently, the school failed to do that education.

Valued Contributor

I do not feel an entire classromm should be "peanut free" when only one child has the allergy or even just a few.  I once had a child with peanut allergies, but the rest of my class was not. There were no "angry" parents.  We discussed the issue and the parent of the child with the allergy felt the same way - not to punish the rest of the class for one ore two chlld's allergy. As a parent with a child with allergies also, I do NOT expect the rest of the world to work around my child - I must teach my child to live in the world.

Esteemed Contributor

No school I've ever worked in was peanut free, and I'm glad.  Nuts are a healthy and convenient snack.  They don't have to be refrigerated, and they are filling compared to other snacks.  A handful of nuts or a couple of peanutbutter crackers provide a great source of energy to help get through busy afternoons.  These are also quick snacks for those of us who don't have more than three minutes to eat lunch.

I think schools should provide an area for those who want to eat nuts rather than going nut free.

I have severe allergies.  I'm allergic to dust and mold, and I'm expected to clean the air conditioning filters, dust the furniture, and deep clean the nasty carpets/rugs in my area.  (I've actually paid to have my classroom professionally cleaned, and I bought an expensive vacuum cleaner for daily cleaning since the custodians only vacuum carpets once a week with a flimsy vacuum cleaner.). When we used chalk boards, I had to find another means of posting information because the dust was unbearable.  People have to learn to make adjustments to deal with their allergies.