Honored Contributor

If you get an en email saying WalMart is giving you a gift (prepaid Visa or gift card) for being a good customer, do not open it!   The URL it says to click on is not WalMart or a legitimate site.   I received one but am not a WalMart shopper so I caught it right away.

Honored Contributor

@CalminHeart,

Thanks for posting,

http://i.123g.us/c/gen_hvgtday/card/312409.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Scam related to WalMart

[ Edited ]

@CalminHeart wrote:

If you get an en email saying WalMart is giving you a gift (prepaid Visa or gift card) for being a good customer, do not open it!   The URL it says to click on is not WalMart or a legitimate site.   I received one but am not a WalMart shopper so I caught it right away.

I have gotten those over the years and when I called Walmart , they requested that I send the email to them.

Frequent Contributor

There is also a similar one going around (has been for a while) for Amazon. Same idea, gift for being a loyal/regular customer.

Honored Contributor

I receive these all the time from Walmart and Amazon.  I never clicked on them as there would be no reason for receiving a "gift" card from either.    

Esteemed Contributor

I've always considered ALL "free" gift offers to be bogus.

Honored Contributor

DH always says if it is free we can't afford it.

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Honored Contributor

That type of thing has been going on for years.  It's Walmar, Amazon and other retailers.  It's a well known scam but it works because people's desire to get something free over rides their caution.  

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I got that e-mail yesterday and deleted it. 

Also deleted the voice mail from someone claiming to be from customer service from my credit card, but didn't say my name or which credit card it was.  I guess they count on people not realizing that they don't say your name or what bank or financial institution they are calling from.

Last week it was phone calls from someone telling me I had to call them back or risk being immediately arrested for some financial shenanigans on my part.  And once again, they never said my name or what law enforcement agency they are calling from.

And numerous other e-mails from banks/credit cards/Netflix that my account was about to be frozen unless I took action by clicking on their provided link.

Still waiting for all of these things to happen Smiley Happy