Regular Contributor

Re: Sargento Balanced Breaks

@Moonchilde wrote:

I suspect that other than $$, portion control is an important part of the sale and packaging.

These snacks are excellent for diabetics. An ever-increasing number of American adults are becoming diabetic. Some companies are starting to produce and sell items to that market, and to those who want to avoid that pre-diabetic state.

Portion size does matter, so companies try hard to fall within the magic 13-16 per serving carbohydrate range. A diabetic can grab a pack and know exactly how many carbs are in it.

If you make your own at home and make it a larger portion, that's great if you're not counting carbs & don't need to monitor and care. But I think the products are marketed to those who want healthy portion control. Many diabetics DO make their own - but there won't be any more in quantity, because that would defeat the purpose.

Those who don't have to "watch" anything can easily make their own, with twice the carbs, for less $$.

thanks for the details @Moonchilde!

Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

Re: Sargento Balanced Breaks

@Katcat1 wrote:

Have you tried Sargento's cheese, nut and fruit snacks yet?  My favorite is the Gouda cheese, dried cranberries and honey roasted peanuts.  Second place goes to Sharp cheddar, cashews & dried cranberries.  Walmart has the best price on them in my area.   Cat Very Happy

I buy these for my kids to take to school with their lunch.

I know I could buy the same ingredients, portion them out and package them myself, but it is worth it to me not only in time savings and portion control, but also the convenience of not having to rely on the kids to bring the Lock 'n Lock back home.