Valued Contributor

Re: Sanitary practice at fast food places

They should have had a bucket of hot water with soap in it and rinsed the rag in the hot water at each table.

Honored Contributor

I do not believe sanitary conditions exist in the majority of restaurants.  

I witnessed, and reported, unsanitary conditions in the snackbar of the hospital where I worked.   The employee was clearing and wiping tables when I went in.   She went behind the counter, laid her cleaning rag near the sink, washed her hands and fixed my order.   She picked up a knife, wiped the blade on the dirty cleaning rag, and turned to cut my sandwich!   I told the employee I preferred she not cut my sandwich, since she had just wiped that knife blade on the dirty rag I saw her clean tables with, and that was nasty.  

Honored Contributor

There should be a lot  of clean spoons and forks available in canisters.  I see people all over TV in general who pick up one fork, taste something, set the fork down, and then use the same fork to dip into another food item and take another taste.  And so on and so on..............Seriously, it bothers me.  Even though it's nothing I'll be eating.  Just seems more professional and ethical (or whatever) to have many clean fresh spoons and forks on the set.  Preferably disposable plastic. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

That's why I would never, never send food back.  Never, ever. Also:  Throughout the many years, I've received lukewarm meals which I wouldn't eat.  I either left it there, or took it home and microwaved it.  It has to be piping hot or I won't eat it in restaurants..........  It's probably a good idea to use those small anti-bacterial wipe packets to clean our tables when there aren't white  tablecloths...........  'I don't know'........... eating outside of the home is beginning to sound very un-appetizing, lol. (Pun intended)  However, for whatever reason, my necessary weekly Burger King and Carl's Jr. burgers and baby rib- burgers are still on my menu!   I microwave them as soon as I arrive home.  Haven't had any problems so far. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@dex

Just curious ....  to anyone who has commented here .... 

Did you register a complaint with anyone?   A manager .... or online?     If you found something to be "disgusting", it's worth mentioning to someone in management.

Truth be told, it could just be incomplete training in many instances, and the manager has more work to do with their employees.

Some fast food places are franchises and the parent company would LOVE to know if the franchisees aren't operating according to standards set for them.   

JMO

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 you are right that I should have said something but all of those workers were young and probably would have thought I was just a cranky old b.I just decided to not go back but I am sure that you are right that it needed to be reported.

Honored Contributor

@ncascade wrote:

I do not think the Q follows sanitary practices when selling food. Would like to see the vendors and hosts wear gloves. I know everyone is shocked.

I'm not shocked.  They aren't sending that food to you.  Probably nobody eats it because it is likely dressed with things to make it look better than are not edible.  It's done all the time.  The food is a prop, just a cost of doing business.  Considering how much they sell, it doesn't make a difference.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@dex wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 you are right that I should have said something but all of those workers were young and probably would have thought I was just a cranky old b.I just decided to not go back but I am sure that you are right that it needed to be reported.

@dex

Only once did I report a problem at the location.  I spoke to an Asst Manager that was probably not more than 22 years old and clearly had a "oh, so what?" attitude.   From then on, I went to the company's website and posted my experience.  When something is documented, it is seen by all levels of management, as well as the location manager, and they often have to account for actions taken so it doesn't happen again.  

Besides, I much rather prefer to complain at my convenience, at home, in my jammies.  LOL   Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

Now and then I see the people with the gloves on touching non foods.  I just try not to think too hard about it.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

I once sent a request to Bob Evans restaurant asking them to rethink how they cleaned tables after a customer left.....I noticed they used the same rag to wash EVERY TABLE, never using any type of disinfectant. 

They did reply to let me know they were not going to make any changes in how the tables were wiped down....

@Mom2Dogs

How odd.  Why even bother to reply if you're just going to be like, "sorry, we don't care." ???

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org