Honored Contributor

Do you have a favorite memory of something done in one of your elementary (or other) classes as a child?

I had a 2nd or 3rd grade teacher that let us put large blocks together to create a post office.  We each had a cubby hole with our "mail" in it for Valentine's Day.  We took turns filling daily, pre V-Day, all the little mailboxes.  Now at my age, if I still remember that, you have to know it was a special memory.

Do you have one to share?  Or, did you go on a field trip that you thought stood out in your memory?

Super Contributor

Re: Saluting all teachers....

I do have one I alway remember.  In First and Second grades I remember the art teacher. She came around once a week to our class.  In our district she would visit a different school each day.  Wheeling her cart with all the supplies she taugh us to make the cutiest things and also decorate the windows and hallways.  This teacher was always dressed in very bright colors with the perfect hair.  A couple of years later she had her family and stopped teaching for awhile.  Jump ahead about 45 years I found her.  She was a friend of a retired school employee friend of mine and someone's mother in-law, I recognized the name.  When I went to my class reunion and was talking about teachers we all remembered this name came up with girls in other schools in the district.

Many of the projects, like a door size pilgrim or Santa, my father would take me to the local stationary store on the Main Street and buy me the construction paper and egg corns to make one for home.  When my grandparents would see this they would love it and I would make them one.

In 7th grade our social studies teacher would have us color a map of the US with all the states in different colors!  In 8th grade this teacher prepared us for tests with KEY words,

9th grade a trip to the big city to see, Gone With the Wind!

i know this all sounds silly but to this day, I am very crafty, know all the states by looking at a map and remember a lot of history from the key words and still love Scarlett.

I loved my school years and was very fortunate to have so many caring teachers.

Respected Contributor

So many to mention.  I remember taking the test for 1st grade.  My elementary school did not have a kindergarten so we all had to take an entrance test to make sure we were ready for 1st grade.  I remember walking to the school with my mom and taking the test.

In third grade I remember our teacher reading to us from a chapter book every Friday afternoon at the end of the day.  She would only read one chapter and then we had to wait until the following Friday.  I was so entranced by the story I had to get my mom to take me to the library so I could get the book out  and read it for myself......couldn't wait until it was read to me.  I think this is what inspired my love of reading to this day.  The book was the box car kids.  A few years ago I reread it for kicks.

Respected Contributor

Our second grade teacher took us to the Philadelphia Zoo and the Franklin Institute - one trip each semester. Besides the joy of getting a day off, this was a real treat for most of us as our school was in a blue collar neighborhood where our parents didn't have the time or money to take us on these outings (most families had 4 or 5 children and 1 wage earner). She did this every year and probably told the parents about it at the beginning of each school year so they could save up the money for the trips. I think she was the only teacher who took us on field trips.

Honored Contributor

For half of my elementary school, I went to the Catholic Parochial School run by the Sisters of Mercy. 

The sisters were in their habits (Bless them!  This was before air conditioning!). 

I had a beautiful young sister for second grade.  One day, while we were jumping rope, she pulled up her skirt and jumped with us!

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal 

Really don't have any favorite memory about any of the nuns. I have vivid memories of some of their punishments, not favorites. My 3 older sisters preceded me through this catholic grade school.

The only 1 still living made it harder on my youngest sister and myself. She was "the wild one", and hasn't changed much.

Think the top non kept a little black book with our last name at the top of the list and past them on to all our classes nuns.

hckynut 🏒

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

I was an educator myself  retired, and think of the nasty remarks more than the good things. I vowed to not be so picky.  I was told in 4th grade there is no such thing as blue flowers and every single time I see Forget me Nots, Blue Iris or Roses I think of that remark.

I also had a 6th grade teacher tell me my hand writing will never make it. They don't even teach that in school any more. I began to print and always have since then. She had a timer for 5 min. Bathroom break an 15  min. Recess twice a day. No Art unless the Art teacher did it. Made kids copy dictionary pages! Gee how did I survive school?

We had a Smorgasbord when studying Norway with Norwegian food in 4th grade.  Fun. Our 5th grade teacher had us bring in modeling clay and did the volcano. I later had him in HS for Driver's Ed. in the summer and he wasn't as fun. Lol.

Teachers have alot of influence.  In HS I hated to have kids tell me the Guidance Counselors told them they would never make it to college or were just a C student. I loved it when they proved them wrong.

Valued Contributor

My 3 rd grade teacher was Ms. Wind. She had white hair a la Marilyn Monroe.
She taught us origami before school, read "Call It Courage", and took us on a field trip to the airport (La Guardia,NYC) and onto a plane (her husband was the pilot). She also painted  each fingernail different colors. One time after school, she drove me to the town library.

She was the inspiration for my 44 year teaching career.