Honored Contributor

Sad News and Having Difficulty Navigating Through It

[Thoughtful and kind responses would be appreciated.  I am certain there are other women on this forum who have experienced something similar to this.  I've spoken to two people about this, but they have no similar experience.]

Today I learned that my first husband passed away recently.  Some of you who have read my posts know that he and I had a tempestuous and painful brief marriage after seven years of dating.  When the discussions here centered on leaving a dangerous marriage, I weighed in honestly.  I did that not to denigrate him but to wake up an innocent soul to abuse.   I was an innocent and it took a lot to wake me up.

In other posts, I have stated that he and I became friends over the years, and that at very bad times in one another's life, contacted each other.  Examples:  The deaths of two of his infant children and the deaths of my husband and brother.  He and my brother were born the same month of the same year, and they liked one another. .

You also might remember from my posts that I last saw my ex-husband in Greece (where he has lived for decades) in 2003.  I went in July and in October of 2003, and we met up for lunch and a chat both times.  My sons met him during the July visit.

This year, for the first time since I met him in 1961, he (or his mother, who has now passed on) did not wish me a happy birthday.  Our annual catch-up for decades has been a brief email (or a telephone call before the advent of email) on our birthday.  The contact served the purpose of letting the other one that we were alive and wished the other only the best.  When he lived in England for about a decade, his mother always wished me well on my birthday.  So, someone from his family always contacted me on my birthday.

When I didn't hear from him on my birthday this year, I worried that his illness might have worsened, but I did not wish to call a cousin of his in Maryland to ask because we are not in close contact.  Don't get me wrong, we are friendly to one another and they always called me for special birthdays of my former mother-in-law, but we do not really stay in touch.

My ex even visited me when I was single.  No hanky-panky.  Just a visit.  One time we even visited Marathon, Fla., for a week together along with another couple we were close friends with and had divorced, too.  This was the sort of insane living that I never liked, but he and I remained friends.  

So, I find that I am crying on and off and, of course, sad.  This feeling that I have is not the searing and debilitating feeling of loss that I felt (and still feel, to some degree) when my second ("real" husband, I call him) died.  It has a peculiar ache, though.

What is it that I am feeling?  Loss of the past?  Guilt for any wrongs I committed toward him?  You know, the last few weeks I was thinking if I would let him know I was in Greece if I ever visit again.  Why?  Because I've totally lost my shape.  How silly...

Now, I'll never see him again on Earth.  Take my advice.  If you have a chance to see an old loved one or friend and you hesitate because you no longer look as attractive as you once did, forget about it and go visit them.  Life is short. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Sad News and Having Difficulty Navigating Through It

[ Edited ]

@golding76 

No matter what the past brought it's natural to feel sadness when someone passes.

I hope you have some good time memories too to help you through the rough times💐💐

Esteemed Contributor

I'm so sorry for your loss @golding76   I'll keep you in prayer and take time to mourn your loss.

Trusted Contributor

@golding76  Sorry for your loss, hope in time it will be a little less difficult.

Honored Contributor

@golding76 

I'm sorry for your loss.  

Even though you and your ex were no longer married, he was a part of your life for a very long time and remained friends.

May you find comfort in your memories of happy times.

Trusted Contributor

@golding76 

I think what you are experiencing is normal.  He was someone who was in your life for many years, and you were friends.  It's OK to cry, and to feel sad, you are grieving a loss.

And it sounds to me that you have nothing to feel guilty about, so please don't feel guilty. 

Be kind to yourself.  

Honored Contributor

You need not feel guilty or question yourself and crying is perfectly normal when we lose someone.  Your ex husband was a part of your life and despite the issues you had with him, you allowed him back in as a friend.  

Many of us feel guilt when someone close passes away.  Why didn't I do this, why didn't I do that, so many regrets.  However, no one is perfect and carrying around that type of guilt isn't healthy.  I can relate.

Remember the good times, cherish whatever memories you have, and if you want to cry, do so.  In time you will feel better, shed the negative feelings and peace of mind will find you.  I wish you the best.

Honored Contributor

My most heartfelt thanks to everyone who clicked on a sympathetic heart or offered some wise and compassionate advice.  This is not a straightforward grief, and, I must admit, I was surprised by his death even though he was 80.  He looked young for his age and was like a bull.  His mother lived until her mid-90s, and I was hoping the same for him.

I just remember the young kid that I met so long ago in the cafeteria at college.  He came in with a large group of friends and, in his particular way, dominated the group.  May his memory be eternal!

Valued Contributor

@golding76  I'm so sorry for your loss. You honored him and your relationship, no matter how complex, so beautifully. Grief is complicated. Brings up alot of emotions to process. Some temporary with time.  Take time to heal and please don't feel guilt or let that emotuon stay too long .  This person was part of your history from school days on. The people in our lives who know us from our beginnings, our roots, can know us like no other people do sometimes.   I wish you peace and comfort and hugs to you 🌷

Respected Contributor

He is, and was, a part of your history. The good and the bad of it. A chapter has been forever closed. 

So, of course, you have sad and complicated feelings about his death. You will miss the best of him that you two shared, and the way you stayed in contact, even if infrequent. 

It seems that both of you still cared about one another, even if being together wasn't a healthy relationship. You can love someone dearly, but can't, and shouldn't live with them. 

You lost an old love and a friend, without seeing him before his passing. You didn't have closure you may have needed. Maybe there are things you wish you could have said to him.

Perhaps your feelings are just too confusing for you to interpret right now, but they will fall in place in time. But, I wouldn't beat myself up about not seeing him because of feeling you didn't look your best. If you dig deeper, that's probably not the only reason you were hesitant to visit at that time. 

So, it's okay to cry and feel the loss, but not okay to blame yourself for anything,  under the circumstances you've described.

I'll quote you back: "Life is short," so grieve your loss, hold on to the good memories, try to forget the bad and move forward.