Honored Contributor

@viva923 wrote:

hello all

I hearted all the posts not sure if they took

anika do hope kathy gains strength and heals.

Poss those water towers are a wow,zowie architecture. so ornate and beautiful. wonder why they had such lovely ornate designs from years ago.?

happy birthday Lulu.

it is absolutely horrid outside. air so thick you can cut with knife, smelly too. humidity is in the 200 % range.

not much else. will check in later.

@viva923 

Viva,  The water tower above is in Tower Grove Park in the Compton Hills part of South St. Louis.   It's my favorite of the three water towers.   From a distance it reminds me of a sentry standing guard,    The rounded part of the big part is the " hat or helmet" of the 'guard' and the small pointed part of the tower is the ''rifle or spear'.   I know,  I have a vivid imagination.

The three towers have such disticint and different styles of architecture.  Back then,  I guess,  they had artisans design and help build these beautiful structures.   

A quote from a guy who has researched these 3 ~~

"The notable fact about St. Louis and its three towers is that although hundreds of these standpipe water towers once existed all over the country, only seven remain standing today. St. Louis has three of them, with Milwaukee, New York, Chicago, and Louisville rounding out other four. This is the same fact I use in my presentations, and it always gets a nice response from the audience. I always notice a few people nodding their heads in agreement or a few others showing pleasant surprise. St. Louis likes being a winner, and St. Louis won the water tower game."

The towers main purpose when they were operational was to help regulate the water pressure in their neighborhood. The water level fluctuated in height inside the standpipe as water was delivered to parts of the city before modern pipe pressure was started.   Not sure of all the ins and outs of these towers, but I did find a lot of information that I will go back and read about them.   They were built back in the 1800s.    One of my favorite things about St. Louis, and I have a lot of favorites about home. Cat Very HappyHeart

Compton Hill Water Tower

Along with being a magnificent icon in South St. Louis, the Compton Hill Water Tower is also special because it’s the only tower open to the public. On one Saturday each month (and on evenings with a full moon), the Water Tower Park & Preservation Society will let people in to climb the 198 stairs to an observation room and get a fantastic 360-degree view of St. Louis. It’s the same thing people were doing 113 years ago, when thousands of visitors climbed the tower during the summer of the 1904 World’s Fair. From the top, the 28-million gallon Compton Reservoir can’t be missed, a reservoir that still provides water to residents of the city. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Hummer Resting On Lily by Alan Lenk - Hummer Resting On Lily Photograph - Hummer Resting On Lily Fine Art Prints and Posters for Sale

Honored Contributor

Buffalo Roundup, by Kendra Koski

Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

Noise Reduction#Color change#Resize the image Image resizing and set the angle#Color Balancing#Color Balancing#Photos/Images Re sizing/and cropping#Photos/Images Re sizing/and cropping #cropping#Background Removal- white/ Transparent#Change Background, #Color corrections#Amazon Image Editing#Hair Masking#Edit Background#Skin spots removal  Amazon products Editing#Color correction and lightening#Object Add or Remove#Fashion Retouch#vector grephics editing images sharper.#image cropping.#hair mask

Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

@viva923 wrote:

hello all

I hearted all the posts not sure if they took

anika do hope kathy gains strength and heals.

Poss those water towers are a wow,zowie architecture. so ornate and beautiful. wonder why they had such lovely ornate designs from years ago.?

happy birthday Lulu.

it is absolutely horrid outside. air so thick you can cut with knife, smelly too. humidity is in the 200 % range.

not much else. will check in later.

@viva923   I would perish in 200% humidity, how miserable!

Honored Contributor

@lulutoby 

Happy Birthday to you!

EFE65E73-9FA2-4A56-9B2E-E6CEE8A8CF2B.gif

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

PORTAGE DES SIOUX , MO.— An armada of regional pleasure and a few working boats paraded past the Our Lady of the Rivers Shrine on Saturday during the annual Blessing of the Fleet ceremony near Portage Des Sioux, Missouri. The hundreds of boats — many bedecked in this year’s Mardi Gras event theme — departed at 1 p.m. from the Alton Marina, West Alton Harbor Point Yacht Club and St. Charles’ Yacht Club of St. Louis. The boats met in the Mississippi River in front of the towering shrine where they received a safe boating blessing from Father Robert Banken of St. Francis of Assisi Church in Portage Des Sioux.

I am so glad the flooding finally receded from the roads and area around this beautiful place so that the blessing of the 'fleet' could happen.   It's really a cool sight to see. Heart

Honored Contributor