Honored Contributor

STREAMING SHOPPING (not STEAMING...SPELLCHECK STINKS)

[ Edited ]

On the TODAY SHOW, they discussed Streaming Shopping as the newest way to shop on your computer. 

They say you can purchase anything as you scroll through...makeup to mattresses. I think this would attract the younger crowd that QVC is trying to get. There's no need to go to different sites to see and purchase your choices. Fast and finished.

Has anyone heard of this and what do you think? Shopping channels could become absolete if purchasing  is only a computer click away.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus    I do think the streaming option would attract a different clientele.

I know that when Covid pretty much shut down in-person duplicate bridge playing, within a few weeks the main organizations had set up online access to organized games.  Those games attracted thousands of players who hadn't been playing locally for various reasons as well as thousands who had been using the local clubs.

So -  lots of new bridge players but death to some (many?) local clubs.   There's a parallel to your analysis of where shopping seems to be headed.   

I'm a dinosaur -  I still don't love shopping or playing bridge online - just not sure how long I will have any choice in the matter.

Honored Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

I know that when Covid pretty much shut down in-person duplicate bridge playing, within a few weeks the main organizations had set up online access to organized games.  Those games attracted thousands of players who hadn't been playing locally for various reasons as well as thousands who had been using the local clubs.

So -  lots of new bridge players but death to some (many?) local clubs.   There's a parallel to your analysis of where shopping seems to be headed.   

I'm a dinosaur -  I still don't love shopping or playing bridge online - just not sure how long I will have any choice in the matter.

@millieshops   I understand since my book group and some gym classes went virtual, too. Just not the same being with people in person is it? 

Honored Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

@millieshops , I'm a sort of dinosaur. I love online shopping and rarely watch Q on tv. However, I'm a crossword puzzle fanatic and just have to do them on paper.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

LIVE STREAMING SHOPPING

[ Edited ]

That's why Qurate is devoting enormous expense and time to its streaming service, with a recently appointed executive in charge of development. 

Retail sales via streaming sales are exploding and Qurate has no choice but to attempt to compete.

I do, however, believe that era of home shopping broadcasting will soon be a relic of the past.

Respected Contributor

I thought the same thing!  I thought this is the customer Qvc is trying to attract! Very interesting!

Honored Contributor

I prefer to look around and read descriptions.

Honored Contributor

Re: STREAMING SHOPPING (not STEAMING...SPELLCHECK STINKS)

Never heard of streaming shopping but agree with @Johnnyeager  that the days of shopping channels are numbered.  They are obsolete.  I don't think younger people will sit through 15-20 minute presentations of one item.  I can see QVC et all becoming online retailers but TV watching will soon be over, JMHO!!!

Honored Contributor

@Shanus @You have to pay to belong to many of the live streaming shopping services. Some of the subscriptions are more than others; varying from $99-$250 a month or a year. If you shop on TicToc you are shopping with a Chinese company that will have all your purchasing information. Facebook/META/INSTAGRAM is trying to build their place in this mode of shopping. I'm not a FB/INSTA fan, so I'd be out but I know many people are fans of them.

I'm betting QVC,YouTube and others jump in big. We will see how the method evolves. We might even see luxury brands; LV, Gucci,Chanel, Hermes, etc. try using this as a way to move selected merchandise they need to clear. Right now, they use special annual sales to employees to do this. Of course, with luxury brands they would put their own spin on things to maintain their status as a luxury brand. 

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D   Oh wow!  I had no idea how this worked. Thanks so much for all your info. I certainly hope this doesn't become the way to purchase.

This is certainly not for me.