Honored Contributor

Re: STILL INVITED TO HOLIDAY PARTIES?

Thankfully, no. 

Honored Contributor

Hey there @Shanus

Ain't done holiday parties for decades. Now my older sis with, who knows how many grandbabies and great grandbabies? Think just the big ones like Thanksgiving or maybe just Christmas.  

I have fond memories of my "other" umpteen parties of my 20's/30's/40's, even a few in my 50's.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@wagirl wrote:

No parties for me--just go to my brothers for Xmas eve---used to go with the hubs when his company did Xmas parties, but he left me on my own too many times,   to go mingle with the other people he rarely saw so I stopped going---we stay home on NY eve too-----

@wagirl   We always stay home on New Years. Fifty years of watching the ball drop in Times Square (DH is a NewYorker). It used to be ****** Clark, don't remember who before that. I cook a nice dinner, open a bottle of my favorite Asti Spumante and usually prepare a decadent dessert for DH. I'm in my pjs early, cozy and comfy and off the dangerous roads where some have been drinking and driving. 

Most of the time I fall asleep before the clock strikes 12. DH calls me Shane-erella!!!

Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

Hey there @Shanus

Ain't done holiday parties for decades. Now my older sis with, who knows how many grandbabies and great grandbabies? Think just the big ones like Thanksgiving or maybe just Christmas.  

I have fond memories of my "other" umpteen parties of my 20's/30's/40's, even a few in my 50's.

hckynut

@hckynut   Oh, I think we can all remember some partying in younger days! 😜. Happy Holidays to you and your family. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We are both retired, but DH still has some friends he used to work with who host Christmas open houses the first weekend of December every year. We make the rounds and usually go to three of them one the same Saturday....great time to get to see friends we no longer see very much and it’s a reason to put on my holiday things. One of my former colleagues hosts a cookie exchange and another hosts a drink-until-you-can’t-make sense anymore “ party”....I stopped going to those. 

No more black-tie holiday galas for us....

-

Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:

We are both retired, but DH still has some friends he used to work with who host Christmas open houses the first weekend of December every year. We make the rounds and usually go to three of them one the same Saturday....great time to get to see friends we no longer see very much and it’s a reason to put on my holiday things. One of my former colleagues hosts a cookie exchange and another hosts a drink-until-you-can’t-make sense anymore “ party”....I stopped going to those. 

No more black-tie holiday galas for us....

-

@lovesrecess   I'd be at that last party for about 2 minutes. 🤣

Respected Contributor

Yes, even though he is retired, we still get invited to my husband's office Christmas parties. My sister has a family party and about a week before Christmas we get together with a few friends for dinner and drinks. Love parties. Getting together on the holidays is fun, festive and enjoyable.  Dread them...of course not. We look forward to them.

Esteemed Contributor

Other than family and work-related parties....no.  (Way) Back when I first graduated, my good friends and I used to get together and have a meal at someone's house/apartment but when everyone got married and had kids, we quit doing that.  I live in a small, rural farming community in the midwest and it's just not a common practice to have an open house or Holiday Party with cocktails and hors d'oeuvres or a meal.  The older I get I'm a homebody anyway.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus 

When I first started working, there were always holiday parties in the office.  Lots of drinking and acting up, too, which wasn't so great.  I would always leave early.

Those finally stopped when we were told we could not serve alcohol in the office Cat LOL

I told my husband the only parties outside the office I attended were the ones at our house.

When we built our home, it was with a view towards entertaining and I would decorate to the hilt for Christmas and Halloween and invite everyone we knew.

In all the years of doing this, I finally realized I stood alone in entertaining.  Not one invitation from anyone else for any occasion or holiday.  

When I retired, I had one last grand Halloween party and that was it.

Entertaining seems a thing of the past, but I'm happy I had fun while it lasted.  I don't want to dress up and go out anymore, so I guess it's over Cat Happy

Valued Contributor

Nope, We're all old and crabby and there is nothing to talk about except medical probems, doctor visits, car/house problems and no money to fix them

Is that a party I ask you? Only if they let me have a couple Manhattans to numb the mediocrity of conversation.  Woman Wink