Honored Contributor

STILL INVITED TO HOLIDAY PARTIES?

[ Edited ]

Except for hubby's office party, friends have quit having these "drop in" holiday parties. No regrets here. It was an obligation I didn't enjoy, but felt I needed to stop by. 

Do you still go to many or any holiday parties?

Honored Contributor

Re: STILL INVITED TO HOLIDAY PARTIES?

I don't remember ever being invited to a holiday party.  We'd go to my office Christmas party, but that's it. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

I don't remember ever being invited to a holiday party.  We'd go to my office Christmas party, but that's it. 

@gidgetgh   We used to have neighborhood drop ins and book group had cookie exchange.

Respected Contributor

My ex always worked for companies that had big Christmas parties.  And my boss, who had a beautiful waterfront home, always invited us to a lovely dinner party at his home.

Those were fun, and I enjoyed dressing up.  Since retiring, I only attend my family party.   Most of our large family makes a point to attend, and it is casual and fun.

I don't miss the "fancy" parties, fun as they were.

Esteemed Contributor

No parties here either.  We used to have to go to my husbands office parties and I dreaded them. Get dressed up (hate dressing up for anything) drive for a hour one way (usually in Scottsdale or East valley)  sit and smile for a bunch of people you don't know (who also don't want to be there on a Friday or Saturday night) One year we went to California for the weekend just so we didn't have to go to parties. I would rather be home doing my laundry.

Trusted Contributor

I think that entertaining is another one of those things that wain as we reach other stages of life.  It was a very prominent thing earlier on in life, but seems to have faded as the years pass.  It is all good with me!  We have been working to slowly downsize so many aspects of our lives.  We no longer decorate, and I have found I truly appreciate the beautiful decorations of others who still enjoy the process.  We no longer entertain and have found that to be true with so many others in our age bracket - we still meet friends for a dinner out, on occasion.  We no longer do gifting - either giving or receiving.  The holidays are much more enjoyable! 

I think life has its phases (at least for some) and what we once enjoyed so much fades in importance; while the memories are always treasured, the activity is not missed.   I am also not as interested in "things".  I once loved getting jewelry as a gift, but jewelry, clothes, travel, etc. no longer bring be the joy they once did.  Now, it is home, family, friends, pets, etc. that make life fuller & happier.  Life is good!  Wish we'd come to this realization sooner, but enjoying it now. 

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Regular Contributor

It seems like I attend my office party ever other year.

I used to enjoy hosting a small holiday dinner with close friends when I lived in NYC.  That was 20 years ago, and I have such fond memories of these dinners.

Respected Contributor

I still attend quite a few holiday parties.  Most of these are casual and lots of fun.  Sometimes with our busy schedules it is one of the few times a year you can see certain friends.

Honored Contributor

My husband and I couldn't go to parties in the past, so it seems the invitations stopped.

When our children were younger, we had no babysitters ( kids weren't invited)  and most of the time my husband had to work.  He worked the midnight shift.  He worked even on major holidays, sometimes double shifts.

We have never been to an office party or even to my brother's annual Christmas Party. The last time we went out was for New Year's Eve when I was 18 years old.  We were given expensive tickets from a married couple that recently broke up that included an overnight in a fancy expensive hotel.  

We went ate like like Royalty..prime rib, lobster, huge shrimp... and then he dropped me off at home.  We were too young to drink and staying overnight wasn't an option.  My father waited up for me to come home.

We do get invited to my husband's sister's house on Christmas Eve, but I never go...my DH goes without me sometimes.

I always have too much to do as I have over 30 people for Christmas dinner and I am not fond of my sister-in-laws. (DH's sister and his brother's wife who are as thick as thives and as mean as rattle snakes)

Honored Contributor

I assume when you say "drop in" that you are referring to Open House parties.  It's sad that you felt they were an obligation, an imposition.  I hadn't thought about it but our friends don't give Open House parties during the holidays.  Yes, we do go to holiday parties but they are smaller and less formal than they were in the past. Friends and family.   Neither of our employers gives those big sit down dinner, open bar parties that they gave in the past.  I love the holiday season and I look forward to spending time with family and friends.