Esteemed Contributor

Re: STILL FEAR THE DENTIST!!!

My college roommate and I both got jobs in Germany right after college.  Part of the hiring process was getting vaccinations and ,as my roommate had a terrible fear of shots (from many visits to dentist) so the only way she would get the shots,was if I would distract her attention by reading to her!  Now it's fifty three years later and I always remember reading to my roomy whenever I get a shot or a blood draw.  Btw, even though I've been going to a dentist regularly since I was five, I've never had a really unpleasant dental experience (never tied into a chair or slapped).

Honored Contributor

@Shanus 

I had a minor accident and broke teeth.  This past Monday I had 4 root canals in one appointment.  The idea of going back 4 times ... or even twice ... was too much of a hassle.   To top it off, the dentist was quite good looking.   Woman LOL

Respected Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

Nope!    I have an upcoming appointment for several implants.  (My only FEAR  is what the TOTAL BILL WILL BE!!!)

@Desertdi   I call going to the dentist physical and financial pain.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Shanus   I have no dentist fear.  Maybe because my childhood dentist experience was only positive.  That is sad they would tie you down....cruel.

I have had  about 8 root canals....they are no big deal so do not worry. I just had Novocain for numbing. I have never used gas or anything like that. I like to be awake and follow what they are doing. 

Do do not worry. Everything will be fine❤️🙂

Thanks @SeaMaiden . No awake for me...don't want to hear/know what they're doing. 

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Azcowgirl wrote:

My last dental procedure was two cerec crowns in front.

at one point the dentist was pushing a tool deep into the gum line to set the crown and it was so painful the tears were running down my cheek.He said “sorry”and kept going.Numbing didn’t work very well that time.

I feel that this dentist does good work but he strikes me as “ rough “. I have poor genetics for teeth, so I’m always having things break down. DH on the other hand, never flossed a day in his life and goes to the dentist maybe every 7 years. Yet, has strong teeth and bones, still has every tooth in tact. Not Fair .😥

@Azcowgirl   I could have written your post!   EVERYTHING you wrote😄🙂

@SeaMaiden   Oh cwap!!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@stevieb wrote:

@Shanus Truly, if you go to a good endo, there is no pain during the procedure, which I haven't found to take much longer than a standard filling or a crown build-up. All the sedation is really not necessary. That said, there can be some potential for discomfort afterwards, Depending on the location of the tooth and the state of the gum, your gum can get sore and remain sore for a few days. Most often it's minor but sometimes can be uncomfortable. Be sure and regularly rinse with salt water after the procedure to help heal the gum. Of course, you do realize that after a root canal you'll probably need a crown on that tooth. My last root canal was uneventful, both during and after, and hoping yours will be too.

Good morning @stevieb . The tooth in question already has a crown (in good condition and fairly new). He said they drill a tiny hole in it, proceed and then fill the hole. I'm an artist...not a dentist...think I'll let the pro do his job. I don't really care about the $, even though no insurance. Just want it over with. DH has promised me a nice "gift" when it's all over...something to look forward to and be thinking  about. I mentioned going to NY to see the Rockettes...I've never seen that show...(and then maybe a little shopping ?!?!). 

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@Shanus Bless your heart!

I was that white knuckled child that gripped the chair from fear of THE NEEDLE every time I had to had a filling.  I wouldn't take the needle as a child.  

Procedures and tools are worlds better now.  I've learned to go somewhere else in my mind and I do fine-with novocaine!

I've had a root canal and it wasn't hard at all.  I'll come hold your hand.  You'll do fine!Smiley Happy

@ECBG   Thanks, Sweetie. What an awesome offer. I can be distracted looking at your unique jewelry pieces. 😜

Honored Contributor

@Shanus  Sometimes they can save the crown and sometimes they can't. Sounds like in your case they think they can, which is a good thing. Saves the cost of a new crown and all the accompanying angst. My last root canal required a new crown on an aleady crowned tooth, so I wasn't as fortunate. Do enjoy your trip to NYC and the Rockettes, their Christmas show is great fun.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Trusted Contributor

I just want to reassure you, @Shanus, that the root canal procedure is only mildly uncomfortable, especially if you have a non-abscessed tooth. The worse part, the numbing injection technique, has been perfected over the years. Please keep us informed after your visit.

Best wishes,

dee

Honored Contributor

@deedledeedeedle wrote:

I just want to reassure you, @Shanus, that the root canal procedure is only mildly uncomfortable, especially if you have a non-abscessed tooth. The worse part, the numbing injection technique, has been perfected over the years. Please keep us informed after your visit.

Best wishes,

dee

@deedledeedeedle  🌈