Honored Contributor

Re: STILL FEAR THE DENTIST!!!

One root canal I had I could feel it. The dentist gave me several shots. He kept working on the tooth when he stopped to ask do you still feel that which I replied yes. He told me I should not feel anything since he was at a point I should not? I could feel it when he was screwing in the gold pins.

He did put some gold pins in there. I know one is next to a nerve so that had to be the problem. I still have pain here & there from that.

That was at 25-30 years ago.

Honored Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@Desertdi wrote:

Nope!    I have an upcoming appointment for several implants.  (My only FEAR  is what the TOTAL BILL WILL BE!!!)

@Desertdi  Uh oh, didn't ask. DH has a crown to do...$1400!!! I DID ask about IV sedation...$2500 extra. Uh, no. 

@Shanus   Don't bother with "sedation"..........a root canal is no worse than a filling......it just takes about twice as long.    The "rumors" about how bad it is are unfounded.    

That's exactly how I feel about a root canal.  It just takes longer than a filling.  I never understood why people want to sit in the corner and cry when they hear root canal.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@Shanus 

Can't say I ever looked forward to a Dental visit. Spent a lot of hours over my years in dental chairs. Dentists and Oral Surgeons, including even being an outpatient at the hospital for a procedure.

Comparatively it ranks pretty low on my fear list.Have had many "root canals" and the only thing that bothered me? Having my mouth propped open for a couple hours left my jaw a little stiff, and that's the worst thing I can remember, barely!

You will do just fine my friend.

hckynut

@hckynut   Thanks for the "chin up" talk.

Honored Contributor

@happycat wrote:

@Shanus, yes I feel your pain. Also had a bad childhood experience at the dentist, 51 and I still get nervous just getting my teeth cleaned. I wonder how many of us there are?

When I have to have work done, I feel literally ill and its usually just a cavity here or there.

Good Luck, glad your hubby is going with you.

@happycat   If I'm knocked out as much as I'd like, he'll need to drive me home. 😢

Honored Contributor

@countrylady wrote:

Gas for me!

I've had two root canals (with gas) and no pain during or after when I got home.

Within the last year I've had a lot of dental work - all with gas.

Now I get gas for a cleaning.

Love my dentist.  We've been going to him since 1976 when he opened his practice.

Dread the day he retires!!

Ask about gas!

@countrylady   You can bet I made sure what type of sedation he had onboard before I'd make the appt. lol

Honored Contributor

@MoJoV wrote:

@Shanus  I share your fear of dentists...get extreme anxiety just walking in.  When I was a child I jumped out of the chair and ran down the street with the bib on and  my mom running after me.  When I'm at the dentist I always feel like doing that again. 

@MoJoV   Oh, I get how you feel. Terrifying, isn't it? 

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@Desertdi wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@Desertdi wrote:

Nope!    I have an upcoming appointment for several implants.  (My only FEAR  is what the TOTAL BILL WILL BE!!!)

@Desertdi  Uh oh, didn't ask. DH has a crown to do...$1400!!! I DID ask about IV sedation...$2500 extra. Uh, no. 

@Shanus   Don't bother with "sedation"..........a root canal is no worse than a filling......it just takes about twice as long.    The "rumors" about how bad it is are unfounded.    

That's exactly how I feel about a root canal.  It just takes longer than a filling.  I never understood why people want to sit in the corner and cry when they hear root canal.

@Desertdi 

@CelticCrafter 

I think it depends on why you need a root canal in the first place.  I've had some that were no worse than a filling--or not even as bad as some fillings.  But I also had one that was a doozy.   

Esteemed Contributor

My father was a dentist. My brother and my nephew are dentists. I never feared any of them. Dentists are trained to eliminate pain from patient procedures; nothing needs to hurt. The fears of the past need not be of concern anymore. Don't be afraid. All will be well.

Respected Contributor

My friend's husband has panic attacks at the dentist. Once they thought he was having a heart attack and called 911 for him. Now his wife always has to accompany him when he goes to the dentist. I feel for him, and for you.

I've never really had a problem with the dentist, aside from the fact that insurance covers so little. I'm not worried about the exam or the procedures, but I worry before I go that they will tell me I need a crown or a root canal and I worry about the money, not the actual procedure.

Frequent Contributor

The only bad thing about a root canal is how expensive it is. Otherwise, no pain and very uneventful. Just sit back and relax.