Respected Contributor

Re: SON IS STILL IN HOSPITAL - VERY STRESSFUL

@shoppinggirl12 I'm so sorry I wrote my experiences that most likely scared u and u r already stressed.........I just stupidly reacted.....and I'm sorry...... I WISH U ALL THE BEST WITH YOUR SON........you are a loving mom and very special.....hugs.....Heart

-Do Not Copy Pls-
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

When I posted the story of my student who was bipolar, I left out a few facts. I’ll add them here because they may provide insight into this illness. When I called my student’s father to come up, I later found out that the young man was hospitalized for three weeks at our local hospital before he was able to go home. Once home, he got the appropriate care so that the outcome of this story was a happy one. 

It takes time and patience to deal with this illness but the good news is that what you’re doing for your son is the right thing and it is highly likely that he will continue to improve. 

Contributor

I left work several hours early yesterday to go and visit him.

Yesterday was not too good of a day.  He was a little agitated, not as good as he was a few days before.  But then he said he took off the Nicotine Patch, they had given it to him two weeks prior, but he removed it on his own, thinking he didn't need it anymore.

The nurse said that could be why he was anxious and not feeling well.  That you can't just remove the patch.  So they gave him another one, and he said he felt a little better.

But they still are not giving him a release date.  Today it will be 2 weeks that he is in there!  He is still bugging everyone to be released.

Hardest two weeks of my life.

Valued Contributor

My experience with hospital stay. You need to schedule an advocate. Also try to schedule a meeting with doctor. Sometimes if it is good ins they keep the allotted time allowed. Trust me if not they discharge asap. That’s what is wrong with our mental health in this country. Those that need it and work hard at getting better are of no advantage. Getting paid does.

Honored Contributor

@shoppinggirl12...sorry you are continuing to deal with this and I hate to say it, and you probably already know...this is your new normal with your son....hopefully once he is on the right meds and stabilizes..and stays on them, things will get better...never lose hope, with out hope you have nothing.

I am not a parent but when my step daughter started drinking and went into rehab....it was awful BUT she was in rehab, --safe, and learning why she was in the situation she was in...today she is much improved...moving into a new apartment this weekend...unfortunately as I posted asking for help...the place stinks....cigarette smoke, now we are dealing with that....well, we will 'help' her she has to deal with the owner we are always around for emotional support.

Try to have a good day.

Respected Contributor

Your son is better off staying in the hospital for now.  Is he getting group therapy as well as individualized?  Unless you begin reaching out for help with this, when he leaves the hospital there go the support structures. He will have the real heavy lifting when he is discharged.

You really need to find a support group specifically for Mood Disorders. For you and your son.

www.dbsalliance.org/

Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance
Non-profit organization
Image result for dbsa
The Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance, formerly the National Depressive and Manic Depressive Association, is a non-profit organization providing support groups for people with depression or bipolar disorder as well as their friends and family.

My husband of thirty nine years,  has been in hospital for over four months.  Had triple bypass, is on kidney dialysis and needs cervical spine surgery.  He cannot walk.  His hands shake.  The hospital is quite a distance and I see him on the weekends.  I miss him a lot and our dog wonders where he is.  I am running the house and packing up my mom's things as she passed away 9 months ago.  I have fibromyalgia and poor eyesight.  There are certain ways to cope with all this.  I am not using the word stress.  A good solid cry helps me and I look forward in order to get things done.  Otherwise I would cave in and all will fail.  My husband is not a take charge kind of guy.  I pray every night and will include you and your son in my prayers.  I certainly miss my younger days, but after taking care of my mom, I just decided that this is my new normal.  I wish you and your son only the best.  He will need a little time to get used to the new meds.  I have never written in a forum before.  Hope this note helps even just a little.

Occasional Contributor

@CatsyCline wrote:

Your son is better off staying in the hospital for now.  Is he getting group therapy as well as individualized?  Unless you begin reaching out for help with this, when he leaves the hospital there go the support structures. He will have the real heavy lifting when he is discharged.

You really need to find a support group specifically for Mood Disorders. For you and your son.

www.dbsalliance.org/

Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance
Non-profit organization
Image result for dbsa
The Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance, formerly the National Depressive and Manic Depressive Association, is a non-profit organization providing support groups for people with depression or bipolar disorder as well as their friends and family.

Kind of you to share @CatsyCline.

@shoppinggirl12 Please hear the posters urging you to find a support group especially for yourself and your DH ~ it's important.

Prayers for your family!💗

Honored Contributor

@shoppinggirl12

I came across this discussion and wanted to ask you how all of you are doing? I am hoping for you to have some good news about your son.💗

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Contributor

Well he got released yesterday.  Came by my house last night, seemed to be doing good.  Went to get his abilify pres filled, and for some reason they could not fill it.

Then his girlfriend called me this morning, saying he was up all last night again!!  And that he wouldn't sleep and she cant take it!

I am at my witts end!  I called him this morning, he said he couldn't sleep because he just got home after two weeks in the hospital.  He sounded okay to me, but he needs to sleep.

I think girlfriend is aggitating him.  They are not a good match.  I dont know what to do.