Esteemed Contributor

Re: SON IS STILL IN HOSPITAL - VERY STRESSFUL

@shoppinggirl12 wrote:

@Annaabellthecat - thank you, it is good to other families go thru this, that I am not alone.  I don't know much about bipolar, I know a few people on here have said it runs in their families. 

I would love to talk more at length about this, I feel like talking helps me understand, and it is less scary.

@shoppinggirl12find a support group- there must be ones locally, in your community or through the hospital. Others going through the same thing are the best comfort and support. 

Respected Contributor

I have been in your situation and it is heartbraking. I hope your son will continue to improve. There are ups and downs with bi polar as the name of this illness suggests. Being bi polar doesn’t go away. We live with it every day. Take care of you. See your doctor if you haven’t already. The right meds for your son are so important. Prayers for you and your son.

Honored Contributor

I agree with others that mentioned calling to see why he can't have certain items...there is probably a legitimate reason but it's not fair to just take something away and not given a reason why.....

A support group is a great idea for you and if you have a husband....to attend.

You will be surrounded by people that have or are walking down the same path, I wish you the best, this will be a lifetime 'thing'.

I have a sister that is bi-polar, I rarely see her but that is not by my choice.

Honored Contributor

If he has added you to his file, you should very easily be able to find out what is going on when you go there.  However, if it was the day shift and now the evening shift is on, you may have to wait to find out what the day shift people said and why.

The good news is that he is talking to you now.

He does not have strep throat.  He will not be cured with a few pills.  Finding the right medication (or even mix of medications) is going to take quite some time.  Right now, they are trying to get him to a point where he can function and be released.

He also has to agree to keep taking his medication and keep going to see his medical team.

Just take it one day at a time.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

Well it does sound like things are a tiny bit better, he has been in longer than expected (which is something I would want, gives them more time to get him stabilized) and he is talking to you a little bit, even if agitated. 

I don't mean to pile on with all you are dealing with, but this stress is going to be in your life, at varying levels, from here on out. He has been given a diagnosis, and his issues are subject to a lot of reoccurrence because as soon as they feel better/good/normal/ they often stop their medications, believing they don't need them, and the cycle can begin again. 

While he is being taken care of in the hospital, is the time for you to seek support/counselling, and get education and support about what you potentially will be living with from here on out. 

Don't wait. Get started and get assistance now. The sooner you get educated and surrounded by a support system of counseling and support groups etc. the sooner you can get used to what is going to be your 'new normal'. 

I don't at all mean to sound cold, but if this were a cancer diagnosis, you'd be hitting the ground looking for the best facilities, the best treatments, the best place to educate you about what your family will be facing. This is no different. 

You have my prayers and hope for some relief from the stress and worry, and just the plain being afraid. It is all expected, and part of the process. Just know you have to meet it head on, and doing so will set you free from some of it.

Trusted Contributor

All very sound and compassionate advice from the wonderful posters here, @shoppinggirl12. I can only add my continued prayers for your son's best care, his cooperation with it- and your strength as you try diligently in supporting him. My heart really goes out to you, and I hope you find a good support group. ❤️

Esteemed Contributor

@shoppinggirl12  Please look for a NAMI support group in your area     https://www.nami.org/

My nephew is bi-polar   Maybe he was diagnosed a decade ago.  He can say horrible things to his parents even now. Of course there are varying degrees of the the disease and success of living with it, for both the patients and their family.  The last time he was hospitalized  it did even last 3 days.  It needed to be more.  He took his parents off the medical list so they have no rights to his medical treatment etc. Yet he depends on them everything.

Esteemed Contributor

@shoppinggirl12-  Glad there is some progress, but it sounds like he is trying to manipulate you by playing on your motherly sympathies and putting you in middle of what the hospital has told.  Don't fall for it.  He doesn't want to be there because he doesn't think that there is problem.  He was a more a danger to himself, self-medicating on Adderall than in the hospital.

As a another poster stated he needs to work his program.  I totally agree with this.

Valued Contributor

@shoppinggirl12

You set the wheels in motion; you recognized a problem your son was having and you took him to the hospital.  That was a really bold and positive step.  Right now, he is being supervised, so try to take this time to relax a bit.  

I'm sure there will be ups and downs at first-- but he will work his way through them and find out how to manage his life with this disorder.

Perhaps reading some books on bipolar disorder will give you the tools you need to dealing with him.  

This is so painful for you, as a mother.  Someone said:  "You are only as happy as your unhappiest child."  I find this to be very true.

I hope that your family is blessed with peace of mind. 

Esteemed Contributor

@shoppinggirl12 - Sometimes there are things on the floor that have to be earned. If he had an episode where he was off the rails they could think he might hurt himself or others. If he was using pencils to draw, was that in his therapy sessions? If so, he was under supervision and they cannot be on the floor.

As far as the microwave, the clients may not be able to use it just the staff.

Until he is on his meds and they are the correct dosage, you may hear more of these stories. Of course, they are his version of what is going on and not exactly the whole truth. 

This won't be the first time you are going through this. My son called constantly to the point I had to turn the phone off. 

On one of my first visits to see him, he started acting out - I tried to rein him back in to no avail - he was headed to out of controlbehavior. I picked myself up and said I would visit him another time and left. Of course, by the time I got to the door I was in tears - the Staff actually told me I did the right thing by not giving in to him and leaving.

You will get there - it won't be easy by any means. And unless he stays on his meds and becomes responsible about his illness, you may experience times like this again.