Esteemed Contributor

Re: SON IS STILL IN HOSPITAL - VERY STRESSFUL

@shoppinggirl12  Only your son will finally made a break with the girlfriend. At this point, it's best for everyone else to simply MYOB when it comes to her. The more said about her, the more he will stand up for her. Don't say anything negative (or positive); just don't mention her. Let HIM come to terms with her drama. When he's ready to end the relationship, he will. He knows mom has a place for him to land temporarily, if necessary. Keep going on with your life, @shoppinggirl12, so you don't dwell on his problems. He's an adult and needs to take responsibility for his behaviors. Please don't hover or become an enabler about his meds or anything else. You won't be doing him any favors. He's old enough to realize what he needs when he begins to suffer the consequences. Best wishes a healthy outcome.  

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

I stopped by to see how he was doing.

I am glad he is going with you for a few days...but listen DO NOT LET HIM MANIPULATE YOU IN ANY WAY!!!

If you feel he is needs an evaluation - you will know. You know what condition he was in previously. Also, he should have some type of aftercare/follow-up appt to go to. Make sure he attends. It is so important to his mental health. He MUST take his meds as prescribed..not later...or I feel better and don't need them now..or I don't like the way they make me feel - they will come up with a million excuses..but if it was for hypertension there would be no hesitation - same goes here. It is needed for his health ---- mental health!!

Like people who have a newly dx medical condition - adjustments need to be made - you need to get used to the idea of a new way of living..and get used to the idea that chemcial imbalances cause bi-polar and treatment is what is needed.  Do not let the GF or himself convince you or anybody that he can do it alone without meds..No he cannot!

I understand he does not want to return to the hospital. it can be a very frightening place if you do not know what to expect. 

He has a support system - you...he has hopefully insurance of some type...and he has a place to live..those are the important factors. Next will be financial. Is able work - does he already have a job or does the MDs think that his diagnoses will intefere in daily activity and he needs to apply for benefits?

It is a bumpy road - but you know what - you can do it..and so can  he. Lifestyle change and adjustment for all..but be positive..seek support for yourself NAMI is a great resource - and they have them in many areas - it is a national organization.

Good luck - and keep us updated!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@shoppinggirl12@CouponQueen@BirkiLady

I posted just now on your thread in “Wellness.”

@CouponQueen@BirkiLady@cbrite@bikerbabe@RetRN

are all familiar with this form of mental illness and know people/patients living with it.

I suggest taking their advice and implementing it.

Until you begin doing the things that have been suggested, nothing else better is going to happen. Join the groups, watch the movie, read about this condition, call the doctor, take over his medical care (get his discharge papers and read them.)

Get HELP! for yourself! You are a mother who has has a 26 year old whose mental condition has dramatically changed!  This is your responsibility. Keep calling the hospital...find out.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

I hope that you get your sons permission to access his medical records.I think he needs some good mature advice from someone he loves and can trust.i can’t imagine how stressful this is for you and unfortunately it isn’t going to resolve easily.I am sorry that your son is having a hard time getting this disorder under control.

I hope that you are finding healing time for yourself to help with this stress....yoga,massage or even just a long tub soak with soothing music.

Respected Contributor

She seems to have left...(the OP) on both threads..... Hope all is ok. 

-Do Not Copy Pls-