Honored Contributor

Re: SOCIAL LIFE TO RESUME WITH SAME CROWD?

The replies to this thread are interesting...as I have said many times your reality is not my reality - we live in a rather rural area and there has not been a lot of covid here.  As a state we have to mask up and in my area, you cannot go in a store or restaurant with out a mask.  I think those that live in a larger city have had a more difficult time coping with the pandemic.

We follow the rules, but have tried living our life as normal as possible. My DH is 81 years old, has been vaccinated and will not let the pandemic rule the time he has left on this earth.  He is very lucky that he is healthy.

Respected Contributor

@Shanus  We are just now beginning to see people again. My husband and I realize that things will never be the same as before. I allowed myself a time of grief but now I have decided to move forward......I can't live my life without people.

Praying for the best..................................

Honored Contributor

I think the pandemic has caused a great divide between people who want to follow the rules and those who refuse to follow any rules.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

DiAnne,

Sadly, it isn't only a matter of those wanting to follow the rules and those who do not wish to comply.  According to some organization leaders, they are encountering -- for the first time -- an absence of wanting to help out others/the nation by making a few personal sacrifices.  There seems to be an absence of compassion and a willingness to be part of a group working for the greater good.  As I wrote, the leaders stated it is their first time having to deal with this sort of resistance and intransigence.

That, as they say, speaks volumes.

(I should add that some of these organizations were churches.)

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have not been a  social butterfly since high school 🦋  It remains to be seen if I will become comfortable eating in restaurants again.  I will not be polite and shake hands again, which is painful to do with arthritis anyway.  

This is a little off topic but I am keeping more food on hand and other supplies stocked.  I have always had plenty of TP stashed away 😏 and that won't change.

Super Contributor

I, too, have wondered what the long-lasting implications will be for social lives in general. For me, personally, I am back to the social life I had before Covid. I have been vaccinated. 

Honored Contributor

I wonder how it could be determined that people are reluctant to help out or join a group to help the community because of an absence of compassion.

I know so many who have not gone back to church or other groups since the pandemic because of the pandemic.

I think maybe it is too early to say that it is because people are not willing to help out.

I know many are also dealing with their own enormous health and or financial problems with themselves or family. At least a lot of the people I know are.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

Where I work we have sprayed and wiped with Lysol wipes between every customer.   All have worn masks as we have. 

I haven't lost anyone to the virus, but a dear friend moved back up north to be with her grandchildren.   Her daughter is very hateful and I don't know how much she will get to see the children, but I hope her life is good.

Honored Contributor

I think if you asked my daughters if anything in my life changed...they’d say no.

I’ve continued (whenever possible) to sit and eat with my friend in a restaurant.

While my daughter was here helping me for a few months, she did the grocery shopping and totally set up automatic withdraws of my bills.

She put everything in various categories and drove me to all my Drs (I broke my back).

She reorganized items in my house and made my everyday life easier.  So that changed while she was here in Va.

After she went back to Colorado, due to the positive changes she made for me, I was able to continue my life pre Covid.

As far as friends, I still have the same core friends before and after.

I wish my back was better so I could do some volunteering.

But it looks like it is going to stay this way...very, very painful.  It is what it is.

Honored Contributor

@deeva wrote:

We refuse to spend the rest of our lives in a bubble. If we had a medical conditions, that would be different. 
We've been to parties with neighbors and friends.
We have also eaten out many times during the past year. 

If a local business requires a mask, I wear it. Otherwise I don't. 

I've been back to volunteering since August. 

@deeva  I get your point of view, but personally stay more cautious.