Honored Contributor

Re: SOCIAL LIFE TO RESUME WITH SAME CROWD?

My "social life" pretty much centers on Church, music (band and private lessons) and the Assisted Living Facility., and all of those shut down between late October and January.

I had an AL. visit last week, in the cold, and it was not great. My Loved One hates cold, and I don't think she recognized me with my mask on.

We had a band rehearsal last Wednesday night and had 35 playing. It was wonderful to see so many out, but because we only play in daylight hours, it's mostly rehearsing and working hard together ready for an outdoor concert on May 2, so not a whole lot of catching up.

I went to Church "in person" Saturday night and very few people were there, but it felt pretty special to just get there at all.

There is a certain sense of "hush hush" reluctance around here to identify your vaccination status, and havi g had Covid AND been vaccinated I don't quite understand it, but I sure do enjoy being able to go to my local market instead of having to do the drive up.

CHEERS FOR SCIENCE AND PROGRESS!!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shanus wrote:

@nyc1 wrote:

Hi @Shanus .   I think it's TOO EARLY to tell.  People have short memories.  I know the term "short" is relative.  I truly believe that initially when things really start to open up more and there are not all these spikes,  and most people are vaccinated, that people will still be careful and some much more so, and not yet ready to take the leap into socializing.   Then down the road,  whether a mile or 100 (!) people will get more comfortable doing things as they used to be and we'll be back to  a more "normal" world.    I'm sure there will be some adjustments for certain things,  but my guess is that as time goes on people will get more comfortable with more of the things they did prior to 2020.  That is human nature.   

@nyc1   If I were in my 30's or 40's, waiting wouldn't be an issue. I'm 72, it seems like "waiting" a few years for normal is quite scary. LOL

If it means waiting and staying healthy...   I'll wait and hug people or wave to them from a distance.  I'll remember how wonderful it is to eat inside a restaurant,  but wait until I feel comfortable.  72 with a young spirit such as yours should not have you concerned about a timeframe.   Don't worry about your age, just be careful enough to stay healthy and happy.  Only you can determine how that plays out.   We get our second shot at the end of this week.  I'm going to wait 3 weeks and then have a couple over for dinner,  socially distanced, who have also been careful and had their shots.    I'm not going to make them wear a mask in my home but I'm not going to greet them with a hug as I would have.  We have our summer party date already planned.  Instead of having the ususal 14-16,   we are inviting 5 people!   It's a start. We have a trip planned to Napa with friends in March 2022, but I'm not sure we'll be visiting my sister in NY as we do every year,  again this year.   I'm not sure how ready I am for that.  Our annual trip to NY, which we missed last year, includes seeing family and friends, and going to dinner and the theater.   WOULD LOVE that in 2021,  but I'm not booking tickets just yet.  

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm sure there will be those that will remain mostly "hidden".  Those that were at the highest risk will obviously be the most skeptical of getting out and about again. Some will have serious mental health issues due to their isolation and inability to feel comfortable in social situations anymore.   However there are hundreds of millions of others that never stopped life.  They continued to work and will continue to live life.  Their biggest problems were the places that were shut down.

As things open up those same people that were not impacted by the virus medically will have no problem going to those places.  They have little to no fear. They never were at the highest risk, and most were at the far lower end of risk from the virus.   

The biggest problem I see will be those that believe so strongly that we should never resume regular life and social situations.    The narrative "they are spreading it" will  most likely continue in these people's minds even though these people are vaccinated, have had it and recovered just fine.  For those people even if it is announced that the risk has passed they probably will never accept it.  It comes down to everyone is different and at this point EVERYONE knows the risk. 

Please remember when you are diagnosed with something your doctor goes over the risks involved and leaves it to you to decide what you want to do.  This is the same thing.  People are capable of deciding.   Granted it might not be the decision you would make but your age, medical conditions, situation, might be far different than theirs.  It is still their decision on the risk of the situation and their medical risk.  

Honored Contributor

@violann wrote:

My "social life" pretty much centers on Church, music (band and private lessons) and the Assisted Living Facility., and all of those shut down between late October and January.

I had an AL. visit last week, in the cold, and it was not great. My Loved One hates cold, and I don't think she recognized me with my mask on.

We had a band rehearsal last Wednesday night and had 35 playing. It was wonderful to see so many out, but because we only play in daylight hours, it's mostly rehearsing and working hard together ready for an outdoor concert on May 2, so not a whole lot of catching up.

I went to Church "in person" Saturday night and very few people were there, but it felt pretty special to just get there at all.

There is a certain sense of "hush hush" reluctance around here to identify your vaccination status, and havi g had Covid AND been vaccinated I don't quite understand it, but I sure do enjoy being able to go to my local market instead of having to do the drive up.

@violann   It's so good that you're getting out some and enjoying activites. The hush hush thing may be because people are afraid to ask about health and/or family. We've lost hundreds of thousands of people and many more were quite ill. It's not something we want to think about, much less discuss.  

Respected Contributor

@violann wrote:

Maybe because it's private medical information? It's fine if people want to freely disclose that information - that's totally up to them. But asking? That's really none of anyone else's business. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

@nyc1 wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@nyc1 wrote:

Hi @Shanus .   I think it's TOO EARLY to tell.  People have short memories.  I know the term "short" is relative.  I truly believe that initially when things really start to open up more and there are not all these spikes,  and most people are vaccinated, that people will still be careful and some much more so, and not yet ready to take the leap into socializing.   Then down the road,  whether a mile or 100 (!) people will get more comfortable doing things as they used to be and we'll be back to  a more "normal" world.    I'm sure there will be some adjustments for certain things,  but my guess is that as time goes on people will get more comfortable with more of the things they did prior to 2020.  That is human nature.   

@nyc1   If I were in my 30's or 40's, waiting wouldn't be an issue. I'm 72, it seems like "waiting" a few years for normal is quite scary. LOL

If it means waiting and staying healthy...   I'll wait and hug people or wave to them from a distance.  I'll remember how wonderful it is to eat inside a restaurant,  but wait until I feel comfortable.  72 with a young spirit such as yours should not have you concerned about a timeframe.   Don't worry about your age, just be careful enough to stay healthy and happy.  Only you can determine how that plays out.   We get our second shot at the end of this week.  I'm going to wait 3 weeks and then have a couple over for dinner,  socially distanced, who have also been careful and had their shots.    I'm not going to make them wear a mask in my home but I'm not going to greet them with a hug as I would have.  We have our summer party date already planned.  Instead of having the ususal 14-16,   we are inviting 5 people!   It's a start. We have a trip planned to Napa with friends in March 2022, but I'm not sure we'll be visiting my sister in NY as we do every year,  again this year.   I'm not sure how ready I am for that.  Our annual trip to NY, which we missed last year, includes seeing family and friends, and going to dinner and the theater.   WOULD LOVE that in 2021,  but I'm not booking tickets just yet.  

@nyc1   I think my comment was more tongue in cheek, but I am frustrated waiting. Thanks for the compliment about having a "young spirit". I think I do and stay active, as well. Still working and interacting with some people helps a lot. 

Respected Contributor

@eadu4   I agree with a lot of what you say ... however,  when your doctor goes over many of the risks of treatment, it normally involves only YOU.   We are discussing a PANDEMIC and that involves widespread groups of people.  The decisons of others very much has an impact for MANY, not just themselves.   I know people of all ages in great health who got COVID...  several who are now LONG HAULERS and going through H*LL.   One is in his 40s and fit the another a bit older but neither had any health issues prior.  I don't necessarily want to trust someone sitting next to me in a restaurant that they've been responsible.  For me it's a wait and see.  

I've been working from home for over a year,  and going shopping when necessary.   I have not been to a restaurant.  I've met people in parks and their backyards to talk and socialize, but that is the extent of it.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@nyc1    There are and were many who traveled too soon, had gatherings when warned it wasn't a good idea. There are still many refusing to wear masks. 

What others do IS their business except when it affects me.

Respected Contributor

@Shanus YEP .,..   I knew what you meant,  but there is truth in that comment for many and I feel that so much more is involved than age.  You can be young at almost any age!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@nyc1 wrote:

@Shanus YEP .,..   I knew what you meant,  but there is truth in that comment for many and I feel that so much more is involved than age.  You can be young at almost any age!

@nyc1   So true. When I got married half a century ago (OMG!!!), my MIL at 60 was a really "old lady". She had not cared for her health, bitc....ed and moaned with no end. We'd take her out for dinner and she went down the menu explaining what each entree would do to her "gut". LOL