Honored Contributor

Re: SOCIAL LIFE TO RESUME WITH SAME CROWD?

@Hippiified wrote:

The pandemic is still here.  It would be taken care of more quickly if everyone would get their vaccine and wear a mask and avoid crowds. 

I think it is especially important to continue to wear masks and social distance even amongst your already vaccinated loved ones.  Very important.  

I've never known anyone sick with covid from the beginning of the pandemic up until last month.  Three people who were fully vaccinated. 

One was very sick and came close to hospitalization, but with dr prescribed antibiotics, steroids and breathing exercises, she is just starting to feel better since being diagnosed on Easter Monday.

The third person to be diagnosed last week, went to the home of this woman wearing masks, gloves and hopefully social distanced as much as possible, but still caught it from her.  He is having a tough time of it now. 

Have no idea about anyone else that may've come in contact with them and if they'll ever know where they got it.  None of them were married and I believed they all worked from home.

If the vaccines lessen the symptoms, and to the point that people are showing no signs of infection, it may give a false sense of security.

I'm still practicing every protocol possible with anyone I see.  I know the chances are slim of becoming so ill you'll need to be hospitalized and even more rare, dying.

But I'm too leery of it all, still....The vaccines are just a little better of a buffer, but not enough for me. 

I have no problem being in outdoor situations and most of my visits have been-- be it family, friends and even neighbors (who have become better friends!).

Honored Contributor

@Shanus Thanks so much!  I'm trying to stay safe and it's much more difficult since I am not at home.  

Honored Contributor

I do think that many people, myself included, have changed how we think about life, friendships, careers etc.  A year and a half of laying low and out of the run, run, run of life made us reflect on what is really important.  Made us who is really important to us.  Yes, of course when things begin to return to normal, I will continue to be cautious and live a healthy lifestyle because, Covid 19 will be with us for many, many years and no one knows how long the vaccines will provide impunity.  It will time to determine that.  So, masks in some situations.  Have hygiene will be part of life.   Personally, I think I won't be so busy and into this and into that.  Not because of the virus.  Because I'm now more comfortable just being myself, in my own home.  I think I feel that I won't have to fill up my time with with people and places.  I'll stay close to friends but I'll be able to be selective when it comes to socializing.  I do think Zoom will be a part of our lives even when things return to normal.  It's a great way to check in, chat, be close.  Just get together physically occasionally and for special things.  

Honored Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

@Shanus Thanks so much!  I'm trying to stay safe and it's much more difficult since I am not at home.  

@haddon9   It's difficult for you and many of us. Leaving in a few days for our first time in a year...staying in a hotel and feeling strange and unsure of the cleanliness after seeing reports on TV shows that hotel rooms aren't as clean as they look. I'm taking my own sanitizing products and giving the room a "once over" when we arrive. 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus   Good luck!!

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@haddon9 wrote:

@haddon9   It's difficult for you and many of us. Leaving in a few days for our first time in a year...staying in a hotel and feeling strange and unsure of the cleanliness after seeing reports on TV shows that hotel rooms aren't as clean as they look. I'm taking my own sanitizing products and giving the room a "once over" when we arrive. 

@Shanus wrote:

@haddon9 wrote:

Seriously, what I've always done is pack a king sized top sheet.  I have a 1M thread count northern nights sheet set (it's not really one million, but it's thick and heavy and a pain to wash so I no longer use them on our bed).

I take that with me and literally make a sheet taco.  STOP LAUGHING.  It covers the pillow and that way I don't touch the hotel sheets, pillow case, or blankets.  I sleep inside it.  My husband doesn't care and will sleep on the hotel sheets.  Yuck.

And we stay in pretty nice hotels.  If a Peninsula isn't available, we belong to the Sofitel hotel chain.  But the nicer the hotel, the better the....visits....for most people.  Bleck.

I cover the faucet handles with cheapo sandwich baggies.  And never let housekeeping in to *clean*.  I keep it clean myself, while we're there.

I'm a peach to travel with. Woman LOL

Respected Contributor

You all have heard how MI is so high with covid and nothing can explain it.  I can. There is a great divide between vaxers and non-vaxers here.  The nons here are more virulant and dug in to their views and the vaxers are sick of them and just want them to go away.

Now that nons have dragged us into this latest wave there will forever be a divide socially.  The nons even have their own websites about where to go to evade the law!  And they are proud of it.

Honored Contributor

I don't think I'll ever be the same person I was before all this happened.  Which is good and bad.  It's really taken a lot out of me.  I was always kind of a homebody anyway, but did enjoy getting out - shopping, walking, going out to lunch with friends, seeing a few family members, doing a few outings with DH and going out to dinner, taking drives, etc.    DH and I don't have good health to begin with and this has been really stressful for us.  Some people we know, since the beginning of the pandemic, have just gone about their lives pretty much like nothing has happened.  I'm not criticizing them, as everyone must choose their own path and do what they feel is right.  But through all this and the changes in our country, it's really given DH and I a lot to think about.  It has taken some of the pizzaz out of me and I am struggling to get it back.  Don't know where all this will go but I am praying and hoping for the best -- trying my best to be positive!  Wishing all the best for everyone, no matter where all this takes them!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm   We stay at Hiltons..honor's points. Pretty nice hotels, too (not bragging). I never worried about nicer hotels being "clean" before the pandemic, but NOW, it's an issue to me and after several investigative reports on TV showing the filth?....They had a crew come in and take sofa cushions for tests and even the chair we'd sit in were filling up those steam cleaning fabric machines with camistrs full of dirt....hairs in the drain (which I never thought about) and never vacuumed under the beds or rugs weren't done either. 

It would bother me before, but now, even though you can't catch Covid from a dirty carpet, I've been so extra cautious with cleanliness at home and with myself, it's giving me pause. 

Maybe hotel rooms were never that clean before. Who knows what the staff does when in there...or doesn't do? I just should have not watched those TV segments. 

Honored Contributor

@KarenQVC wrote:

You all have heard how MI is so high with covid and nothing can explain it.  I can. There is a great divide between vaxers and non-vaxers here.  The nons here are more virulant and dug in to their views and the vaxers are sick of them and just want them to go away.

Now that nons have dragged us into this latest wave there will forever be a divide socially.  The nons even have their own websites about where to go to evade the law!  And they are proud of it.

@KarenQVC   Call me stupid, but what is a vaxer?