Honored Contributor

Re: SOCIAL LIFE TO RESUME WITH SAME CROWD?

[ Edited ]

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

@Shanus  I relate to what you're saying 100%. I've become very down in the last 13+ months. I've seen suffering & experienced loss.I've also experienced the collateral damage of many personal disappointments.

During this time I've seen who my friends are.I always had a small group of friends that I held dear. That group has gotten smaller.

Right smack in the middle of Covid, right before my son's wedding my 71 year old DH was diagnosed with prostate cancer.I'm turning 65 in a few weeks. Life is too short. We already lost over a year.Young people have plenty of time to put the horror of Covid behind them.We don't. So DH & I have decided once he completes treatment in a couple of months 🙏we are going to move forward with a smaller group of friends.

Being fully vaccinated as of last week we went out to dinner with another vaccinated couple who were there for us.It was the first indoor dining experience we've had in over a year.We sat & caught up over a great meal & a bottle of wine.It felt so good!!

We are still proceeding cautiously.Right now we still won't go to movies or plays,take plane vacations or be among crowds.Our family & smaller group of friends is all we need.

If Covid taught me anything it taught me that my mom was right.She always said "there is no forever ".Nothing is guaranteed.

@NicksmomESQ   A good post. I've kept up here with some of your troubles and your DH's health issues. I wish you well as you reclaim your life as much as safely possible. BTW, your mom was right.  Smiley Happy.

Honored Contributor

@eadu4 wrote:

@nyc1  Yes, when your doctor diagnoses you it is usually something that effects only you.  But your situation could be effected by others, which means it's up to you to decide how you handle your life.

I truly don't believe anyone is out to kill anyone.  Most everyone encounters alot of strangers in the course of a week (if you are not still at home).  It is not up to them to decide how to handle your diagnosis.  You have to decide if you can go to that store safely or not..  No one knows everyone's age, health, conditions, home life situations.   I had a friend I SWORE had no health problems, she was perfectly healthy, and yet, found out after she died from a serious illness she chose NOT to tell friends.    It is up to each person to decide what you want to do.  Only you know your risk.   At this point with the vaccinations and many who have had it and recovered and the millions and millions we will never know who had it and were completely asymptomatic it is getting safer to be out,  but again it is and will remain an individual choice.  We all know the risk. 

I do not fault anyone who is still super cautious.  They know their situations, I don't.   But at the same time, I do not fault those that do what they are comfortable with since I don't know their situation either.   They cannot be responsible for you.  I know I'll get the "we should be looking out for each other".  Frankly those that were the most at risk have stayed home, those that are out and about KNOW the risk and accept it.  

@eadu4   If a huge groups of spring breakers,  protesters or travelers unmasked,etc. are returning to their cities infected, yes I fault them (and other issues) for case numbers rising again. 

Trusted Contributor

I feel that many will be afraid to socialize or go out in public for quite awhile.  I believe those who have chosen to take home for the past year, rarely going out in public will stay there for the next couple years regardless of changes in regulations.  The next pandemic we will be having is a mental health pandemic due to fears which have been placed upon all of us.  It doesn't help when people turn on the TV and are told everyday avoid restaurants, they have been made to believe that restaurants aren't safe.

Those of us who have opted to eat in Restaurants for the past year (when they have actually been open) will be much less fearful.

I'm really afraid of how kids will be impacted for years to come.  I have not kept my kids from their friends but so many others have been kept home away from others. 

Honored Contributor

Whatever God has in store for me.  I don't run my life, and I have no idea what is ahead.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm still in touch with the same few buddies I use to do things with, but thats as far as its going at this point. The main thing I use to do with my friends was go out to eat, and I personally am not comfortable doing that yet, not sure I ever will be. 

Perhaps going on a walk at a local outdoor trail will be in our future- I don't know. I'm content to just talk on the phone or text everyone to be honest.

I do think we need human contact, but I've found my animals are a lot less annoying than most humans I know.

Honored Contributor

First, should I never hear the term 'new normal' or any of the other cliches associated with this pandemic again it will be too soon. That said, as someone noted above, I think the scars for some, inlcuding me, will run deep. Theoretically, I will be able to get out and about soon with some level of 'confidence' but I'm not sure I will. First, there is still the, to me, obscene masking issue. I despise them and can't breathe through them so sorties will remain limited for that reason and also because I don't have the confidence perhaps some do. It might be that after I've made a few social outings my level of comfort will improve, but only time will tell.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

I feel this has changed all of us in one way or another.   We have been very careful but were never at the point of panic like some.  I never would alarm my adult kids when they were feeling anxiety.  You have to be realistic about what's happening around you and deal with it the best you can.  We did all of our own grocery shopping and errands through it all.    We did go out to eat during the summer especially when we could eat outside.   We just went out for a lovely inside dinner this past Sunday with our closest friends and have to say I loved it!   I am so looking forward to traveling again and enjoying life to the fullest.  Being a cancer survivor,  lesson learned.

Honored Contributor

No "crowd."  

With one exception - I've been seeing the same people regularly.  Most of us live in the same neighborhood and attend the same church, shop in the same stores, belong to the same women's group.   Just haven't had any organized in-person meetings, luncheons, etc., etc.  

But - last fall - we did have a birthday party in the park!

The one exception - one close friend had a bad fall (brain injury) and has been in the hospital for more than a month - just got out of intensive care and moved to rehab this week.  We don't have any idea when she'll be able to "get out and about."  

My family doesn't live in the area and we rarely see each other under normal circumstances - so the past year hasn't been an issue.  Still have telephones and computers to communicate.

So - yes, I expect to resume with the same crowd.

Esteemed Contributor

Right now, even vaccined, there some who just talk the talk.  Them I will stay away from.  Don't want to take a change of transmission from an unvaccinated person.

For those of us with health problems, it is still long road ahead.

But there are many of us to still see 🥳

Trusted Contributor

@Shanus Respectfully, I understand what you are saying but you are assuming they ARE infected.  You are making a broad assumption about a group of people.  You are pointing fingers at people who could be innocent but because they were together without a mask that makes them guilty and are totally responsible for an outbreak.  People with masks could have started it.  You're infected, you touch your mask, pull it off, touch stuff, pull it down for a few minutes to talk, and you have just as easily spread it.  It depends on the vulnerabilty of the people around them.   It's easy to say they caused it.   But you really don't know.   I understand it makes people upset to see unmasked people but they are not always the cause of a spread.  

I understand many people lost loved ones, had loved ones that got it and recovered but suffered greatly.  But just being without a mask does NOT mean you have it or are spreading it.  People have litterally become terrified to see someone's face now.   

There are so many different masks and they vary in quality, cleanliness, and actual usefulness.   The mask does not prevent the spread.  It may help somewhat depending on the mask and the person using it, but it's not a guarantee.   And "most likely"  does not in fact prove they did.  As I keep saying at this point we ALL know the risk. With vaccinations, better protocols, more people surviving, it really is now a case of you decide where you feel comfortable.  .Continue wearing whatever you need to feel safe.  Only you know your risk.   And stay home if you are still uncomfortable.     

@Shanus wrote:

@eadu4 wrote:

@nyc1  Yes, when your doctor diagnoJust becses you it is usually something that effects only you.  But your situation could be effected by others, which means it's up to you to decide how you handle your life.

I truly don't believe anyone is out to kill anyone.  Most everyone encounters alot of strangers in the course of a week (if you are not still at home).  It is not up to them to decide how to handle your diagnosis.  You have to decide if you can go to that store safely or not..  No one knows everyone's age, health, conditions, home life situations.   I had a friend I SWORE had no health problems, she was perfectly healthy, and yet, found out after she died from a serious illness she chose NOT to tell friends.    It is up to each person to decide what you want to do.  Only you know your risk.   At this point with the vaccinations and many who have had it and recovered and the millions and millions we will never know who had it and were completely asymptomatic it is getting safer to be out,  but again it is and will remain an individual choice.  We all know the risk. 

I do not fault anyone who is still super cautious.  They know their situations, I don't.   But at the same time, I do not fault those that do what they are comfortable with since I don't know their situation either.   They cannot be responsible for you.  I know I'll get the "we should be looking out for each other".  Frankly those that were the most at risk have stayed home, those that are out and about KNOW the risk and accept it.  

@eadu4   If a huge groups of spring breakers,  protesters or travelers unmasked,etc. are returning to their cities infected, yes I fault them (and other issues) for case numbers rising again.