Honored Contributor

Re: SOCIAL LIFE TO RESUME WITH SAME CROWD?

[ Edited ]

Your cocoon reference fits me perfectly. I've gotten so comfortable at home that I really am not excited about seeing people. As much as I say I want to get out, I find myself wanting to return home as soon as possible. I had the oil changed yesterday and realized we only traveled 4200 miles in fifteen months - some of it being DH's 26 mile trip to and from work. Of course he put miles on his vehicle too.

Honored Contributor

I have kept getting together with the same very small group of family.  However at the very beginning of the pandemic and again in the latter part of fall when things got really bad again, we refrained from getting together at all.

I have a friend who through a lot of this was very anti-mask.  She felt they were gross, people were always touching them with their dirty hands, they weren't being washed, etc.  Then both of her parents tested positive for Covid and subsequently, her father passed from it.  Everything changed for her.  She recently went on vacation in Florida with her husband and children. They rented a home and it was just them.  She said going out down there, people weren't wearing masks and she felt very uncomfortable and exposed.  She said they ended up just going back to their house because she got so nervous being around people not masking.    

Respected Contributor

Just wondering if this pandemic has changed the way we live on a deeper level and what the new normal will be like.

I sure hope not.  Isolation is a plague.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AuntG wrote:

Your cocoon reference fits me perfectly. I've gotten so comfortable at home that I really am not excited about seeing people. As much as I say I want to get out, I find myself wanting to return home as soon as possible. I had the oil changed yesterday and realized we only traveled 4200 miles in fifteen months - some of it being DH's 26 mile trip to and from work. Of course he put miles on his vehicle too.

@AuntG   I'm a homebody, too. I've always enjoyed cooking, cleaning, painting in my studio, reading...content w/ my own company. I'm not sure it's mentally healthy to keep being "locked up". 

I did enjoy my gym workouts (still only 50% open with masks to be there), lunch or dinners out and I love my work...had to do myself a favor and open an office which forces me out. LOL

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I have kept getting together with the same very small group of family.  However at the very beginning of the pandemic and again in the latter part of fall when things got really bad again, we refrained from getting together at all.

I have a friend who through a lot of this was very anti-mask.  She felt they were gross, people were always touching them with their dirty hands, they weren't being washed, etc.  Then both of her parents tested positive for Covid and subsequently, her father passed from it.  Everything changed for her.  She recently went on vacation in Florida with her husband and children. They rented a home and it was just them.  She said going out down there, people weren't wearing masks and she felt very uncomfortable and exposed.  She said they ended up just going back to their house because she got so nervous being around people not masking.    

@Lipstickdiva   I'd be uncomfortable in that situation, too. I don't think we'll see a major improvement in life as we knew it, until more people are vaccinated and even then willing to mask up and follow CDC's advice.

Esteemed Contributor

My Brother in law and Sister in Law have not been to a grocery since the quarantine started. Everything is delivered and they wipe everything down.  Their mail sits in their garage for 5 days. So we have not seen them in over a year. And I doubt we will see them for months to come.

Same with my lunch friends. Doubt I will see them anytime soon. Maybe a year from now. They have no intention of going into a restaurant.

Doubt that there will be any family BBQs, family reunions, birthday parties etc. So family and friends can do whatever makes them comfortable. And I am planning on expanding my flower and vegetable garden this year. And going out and about whenever I want.

I have had both Covid and also got the vaccine. I wear a mask whenever I go into any business. And I am washing my hands before and after whenever I go out. So I am comfortable and if others don't care to socialize with me that is their privilege.

And Church - forget it. They are still following quarantine rules. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

Just wondering if this pandemic has changed the way we live on a deeper level and what the new normal will be like.

I sure hope not.  Isolation is a plague.

@Peaches McPhee  I know a lot of folks are depressed that weren't before COVID. Some are also fearful, anxious and have other issues. Some have PTSD.

Many have also become selfish and over the last several months have gotten tired of being cooped up and just went about their business like before COVID. Others don't want to be vaccinated.

I'm sure there aren't enough psychologists and other professionals to handle these issues. 

Esteemed Contributor

We've been on skeleton crew at work and recently increased our 'on campus' days; slowly returning to... normal. Observation - we only have a handful of toxic, negative faculty in a big division and there's limited patience for them. It's a new day. I can say that about a few seasoned friendships and extended family. Who knew they were so harsh and racist? That realization changes things. The good news is - my appreciation for kind, inspiring people has increased even more.    

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus  I relate to what you're saying 100%. I've become very down in the last 13+ months. I've seen suffering & experienced loss.I've also experienced the collateral damage of many personal disappointments.

During this time I've seen who my friends are.I always had a small group of friends that I held dear. That group has gotten smaller.

Right smack in the middle of Covid, right before my son's wedding my 71 year old DH was diagnosed with prostate cancer.I'm turning 65 in a few weeks. Life is too short. We already lost over a year.Young people have plenty of time to put the horror of Covid behind them.We don't. So DH & I have decided once he completes treatment in a couple of months 🙏we are going to move forward with a smaller group of friends.

Being fully vaccinated as of last week we went out to dinner with another vaccinated couple who were there for us.It was the first indoor dining experience we've had in over a year.We sat & caught up over a great meal & a bottle of wine.It felt so good!!

We are still proceeding cautiously.Right now we still won't go to movies or plays,take plane vacations or be among crowds.Our family & smaller group of friends is all we need.

If Covid taught me anything it taught me that my mom was right.She always said "there is no forever ".Nothing is guaranteed.

Trusted Contributor

@nyc1  Yes, when your doctor diagnoses you it is usually something that effects only you.  But your situation could be effected by others, which means it's up to you to decide how you handle your life.

I truly don't believe anyone is out to kill anyone.  Most everyone encounters alot of strangers in the course of a week (if you are not still at home).  It is not up to them to decide how to handle your diagnosis.  You have to decide if you can go to that store safely or not..  No one knows everyone's age, health, conditions, home life situations.   I had a friend I SWORE had no health problems, she was perfectly healthy, and yet, found out after she died from a serious illness she chose NOT to tell friends.    It is up to each person to decide what you want to do.  Only you know your risk.   At this point with the vaccinations and many who have had it and recovered and the millions and millions we will never know who had it and were completely asymptomatic it is getting safer to be out,  but again it is and will remain an individual choice.  We all know the risk. 

I do not fault anyone who is still super cautious.  They know their situations, I don't.   But at the same time, I do not fault those that do what they are comfortable with since I don't know their situation either.   They cannot be responsible for you.  I know I'll get the "we should be looking out for each other".  Frankly those that were the most at risk have stayed home, those that are out and about KNOW the risk and accept it.