Honored Contributor

Re: SMILE!!! This Video Is A HOOT!!!!!!!!

@Elom 

Bless their little hearts.  We have a big 90 lb. two year old and it's a major ordeal!

Respected Contributor

@Elom wrote:

My son and wife have a mini Dixie that even the vet will not cut her nails. She wails and all sort of things. They now wrap her in a towel and takes two at that and maybe three done. It's a real problem and they don't want to sedate as vet will only do every few months.

it's amazing how it can take 2 or 3 full grown human beings to clip the claws of an animal, especially a 15-lb. cat. (ask me how I know :-) )

Respected Contributor

@ECBG 

I have a little drama queen that must be sedated to cut her claws. She is the only cat I have ever had that I could not eventually do it.She is a bit of a wild thing.

I usually wait until they are having a good deep afternoon nap. I sneak in, clip one claw and leave a treat to distract the objection and praise them on how very brave they are. Usually by the time they are done(days) they are more cooperative the next time. It is a process.

Honored Contributor

@tiny 2 

Shadow will have none of it!  We try to run him a lot on the driveway, but it only keeps the hind claws worn down.

He is going to the vet, then he gets an ice cream cone.

Honored Contributor

I had an 80 pound dog that was very adverse to getting his nails trimmed.  They started doing it while he was in the tub getting a bath and said it worked!

Esteemed Contributor

Cute dog !

Honored Contributor

So funny!  Dramatic little dog. Maybe he has been nicked before and hasn't forgotten it.  Who knows?  Some dogs are just more reactive than others. I do think it helps if you purposely handle their paws a lot when they are little.  

Honored Contributor

Is she hurting the dog?  Why does the dog scream and resist her?

Respected Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

Is she hurting the dog?  Why does the dog scream and resist her?

She's not hurting the dog. The dog is just afraid. My frenchie is the same way she won't even let the vet techs cut her nails. When I try she screams and fights so hard it takes two of us to cut just a couple of nails, rest and repeat a day or two later. Look on YouTube you'll find tons of these videos, 

Respected Contributor

@qvcaddition wrote:

Abuse

So they should just allow the dogs nails to curl under and grow into their feet? That would be abuse. It's not abuse the dog is just scared . I have a couple of pups that are the same way. The one in my profile pic is worse than this pug.