Respected Contributor

@SchippyLuv wrote:

I wear a Garmin Fitness Tracker which records my SP02 overnight. I noticed that my readings dropped into the 70s at night and I couldn't get them over 80 during the day.

Being chained to a hose and mask is not my cup of tea, so I started researching like crazy. I came up with a gizmo called "Expand-a-lung" breathing fitness exerciser. It was apparently designed to help athletes perform better, expecially scuba divers. It has been used successfully by Navy Seals.

So - I've been using it for about two months and my numbers don't fall below 88 at night and stay around 95 during the day. I have asthma, so my doc is pleased and so am I...

Hope this helps!

Interesting. I have asthma and have never heard of this. I'm going to have to look into it. Thanks for posting about it, @SchippyLuv.

Honored Contributor

@Alison Wonderland wrote:

My suggestion is get a CPAP. but before you do, you may want to investigate two things:

1. A dental device that can solve the issue for some patients. You would need to be evaluated by a dentist. If you have mild sleep apnea, you may be a good candidate for a dental device instead of a CPAP.
  2. "Tattletale" software that comes with some CPAP devices. Some CPAP devices come with hardware and software that record your usage and then send that information back to your insurance company to let them know if you are compliant with the doctor's orders. There are cases where insurance companies have received these reports and ended coverage for a CPAP device or demanded payment for the device because they analyzed the output of the software and determined the person was noncompliant with device usage. If you get a CPAP, ask questions about that type of software and if your device has it, make sure you're willing to be compliant with it.

What @Alison Wonderland sais in her #2.  Yes, they tell on you.

Esteemed Contributor

I track my oxygen, take meds for my arrhythmia and have had four surgeries in the area which have also given me swallowing problems.

My machine is somewhere in the cupboard and I refuse to have my rest disturbed.

The cure can be worse than the disease.  Yes I am a bad patient.

Honored Contributor

I had 3 of them done over the years.  I have all sorts of sleep issues.

Now I take muscle relaxants to keep my back from going into spasms during the night.

Anyway, it's really good that you had it done.  My oldest daughter has a fit bit that tells her everything under the sun, (i.e. sleep, etc).

She talked me into getting one because I don't sleep well and it will tell me what's going on.

If you can afford one, it would probably be a good idea to get one.

Prices vary as to what you want it to do.  She went into this long (almost a promo for the thing) and showed me her sleep patterns, when she's in REM, etc.

I usually think of these things as gimicks, but this seemed like it made sense.

She is a very healthy young woman (46 years old) and the mother of 4 (with 3 teenagers...Yikes).  Ha!

Anyway, I'm so glad you got this done.  I hope it helps you.

As far as the 'thing' the other poster mentioned.  I had one but never used the thing.

However, I have close friends who swear by it.  They said it's made a lot of difference in their life.  They sleep better and have more energy during the day.

Please come back and let us know how you are doing.  I know I'll be looking for your posts.  Annabellethecat.

Honored Contributor

For mild cases, you might want a mouth device. My dentist fits them for those people who don't want to go the machine route. He says they work - I can't confirm or deny his claim.

Honored Contributor

@qvc chick wrote:

I did a sleep study a few weeks ago.  I am not a great sleeper, usually average 5-6 hours a night.

So results came back, that I have a mild case of sleep apnea.  They want me to wear the device.  Ugh. 

I am surprised that I have it.  I do not snore, and never wake up short of breath.

Any suggestions?

if there is something to get you better sleep use it,  I am a lousy sleeper and would do anything for uninterrupted sleep

Honored Contributor

My husband and oldest daughter use c-paps at night.   Daughters c-pap has the chip that records her usage.   A couple of times a year she is asked to take the chip to the Dr who ordered the sleep study, for downloading, so there is verification she is using the device as it was prescribed.   We feel that chip is providing the information needed to substantiate her medical need for the device and be covered by her health insurance.  NO insurance company should be paying a monthly rental on equipment that is not being used by the patient.   

Respected Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

My husband and oldest daughter use c-paps at night.   Daughters c-pap has the chip that records her usage.   A couple of times a year she is asked to take the chip to the Dr who ordered the sleep study, for downloading, so there is verification she is using the device as it was prescribed.   We feel that chip is providing the information needed to substantiate her medical need for the device and be covered by her health insurance.  NO insurance company should be paying a monthly rental on equipment that is not being used by the patient.   

Or Medicare either .......

Respected Contributor

Re: SLEEP APNEA

[ Edited ]

I have been wearing a cpap for 15+ years now and swear I have become addicted to it. I also have very severe allergies and have an extra filter between the tubing and mask. 

My dentist wanted to sell me a mouth device....I've never worn it as I have a small mouth and it's almost painful.  The actual fitting at the dentist office was very difficult also. 

I still have issues with sleeping but they are more social in nature...not sure that's the right word to use.  I sometimes wake up at night when my boyfriend gets up to get ready for work at 2am and can't fall back asleep.  There are also nights when I stay up late to watch TV or the room is too hot for me. 

It's also good to watch some youTuve videos if you have questions about appliances etc. 

Respected Contributor

@Big Joanie wrote:

@RedTop wrote:

Or Medicare either .......

You don't have to take the chip in to the doctor.  The newer machines have a sim card in them and the equipment supplier can just dial up your machine like a computer and extract your usage.