Respected Contributor

Re: SITTING ON SANTA’S LAP

I hope to get through the year not ending up homeless.

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Esteemed Contributor

@catwhisperer wrote:

Been there. My prayer is that doors open for you in this time of need.

Honored Contributor

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

I'm hoping for a saner more peaceful world.A place where everyone is respected for their differences & uniqueness.A world where we can all get along regardless of our backgrounds or beliefs.

Amen to that @NicksmomESQ .

Respected Contributor

Everything Nicksmom said.

Honored Contributor

Re: Accepting/respecting differences on a personal level.

Growing up Jewish in the 50's/60's in the South was awful. My folks tried to make us not feel different by taking us to sit on Santa, having our photos taken and the same at Easter when the Bunny came to the big Sears store. My brother and I were still questioned or ignored around holidays. Holiday cards were passed around or delivered to self made folders taped in the front of the classroom, but mine remained empty year after year. It was heartbreaking and left many emotional scars. 

We put our menorah in the window the first night of Hanukkah when we first came to NC and stones were thrown threw the window breaking the glass. It felt like the war all over again. Coming from NY, my folks were stunned & had no idea how to assimilate and still stand proud.

At 15, I was invited to a dance at a local country club. My hair had been put up at a local shop, dress w/ dyed to match shoes hung on the bedroom door and 2 hours until time to get ready. My mother received a call from my date's mom that they were "canceling" the invitation. Jews were not allowed at their club. Shattering to a teen...shocking to anyone. 

We made sure, 40 yrs. ago, to explain to our kids what being Jewish means, but also took them for photos w/ Santa and the Easter Bunny. Thank God by about 6th grade, many other Jewish families were moving to the area because of the hospitals and several universities here offering good positions. A Jewish community was expanding and acceptance was no longer an issue. 

It has been a tough road, but with all the changes I've seen, there have also been way too many steps backwards. 

Wishing for peace on earth and all people treated as you'd like to be treated yourself. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus    I understand exactly what you're saying. I'm Jewish & I grew up in Brooklyn .You would think there would be no anti-semitism there. But there was. I was beaten up, spat on & called names on several occasions.

Most kids get their hate from their parents.Isn't that the way it usually happens? I would like to think that a lot of those  people grew up & learned that it's better to love than to hate.

My dad was a Holocaust survivor. With all that he was put through he had no hate in his heart.He taught his children to love & accept everyone.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@catwhisperer wrote:

That will be wished by me for you this holiday.

I shall wish for it in my prayers too!

May Angels watch over you and keep you warm and safe.

Honored Contributor

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

@Shanus    I understand exactly what you're saying. I'm Jewish & I grew up in Brooklyn .You would think there would be no anti-semitism there. But there was. I was beaten up, spat on & called names on several occasions.

Most kids get their hate from their parents.Isn't that the way it usually happens? I would like to think that a lot of those  people grew up & learned that it's better to love than to hate.

My dad was a Holocaust survivor. With all that he was put through he had no hate in his heart.He taught his children to love & accept everyone.

@NicksmomESQ   DH grew up in Brooklyn and then Queens. We met when he came South for school. He told me about schools closing for the Holidays and I couldn't believe it. Yes, it's disgusting, but there's hatred everywhere. No one has learned. It's gotten worse. Sorry you endured that. Our parents can only do so much with their love and attempts to protect us. You'd think all parents would feel the same.