Honored Contributor

Re: SHABBAT SHALOM, HAPPY CHANUKAH &HAPPY WEEKEND TO ALL

A laugh is always needed:  You know those chocolate gold coins (gelt) given to the kids at Hanukkah? Well, it's difficult enough down here finding Hanukkah candles, matza if not at the store within days of putting out, etc. No gelt! I ordered it online. The darn things came today. I ordered 6....each grandchild will get 3. I'm not cheap but $2 each for chocolate?

So, I open the box and each coin is the size of a dinner plate!!! I may give one each and save the others. My DS and DIL will kill me giving them that much candy and hyping them up.

Super Contributor

Shabbat Shalom and Happy Hanukkah to all who observe this holiday.  Wishing good health to all of you and your families.  As I light my candles each night I've been saying a prayer for all those that lost loved ones because of this hideous virus.  Praying that next Hanukkah we will all be able to spend time with all family members and friends without fear or trepidation. 

Honored Contributor

@Re: SHABBAT SHALOM, HAPPY CHANUKAH &HAPPY WEEKEND TO ALL

@Shanus , 

Funny....I would say you got a good deal on that Giant Gelt.Woman LOL

Respected Contributor

@Shanus   Things like this do happen when you order online.  

Even when they give size and/or measurements it sometimes isn't clear.  I especially dislike meaasurements in centimeters, or whatever some of the vendors use.  (Math challlenged am I.)

Photos can be deceptive.  So if reviews are available I try to browse through to be sure I'm not jumping to conclusions when I am anxious to purchase.

I bet you were trying to find the mesh bags with the gelt originally, corrrect?  I am not Jewish but I had childhood friends of that faith and was invited to their homes to share meals.

Hope your son and daughter-in-law will understand and will laugh as hard as I did, for which I thank you.

It will be a memorable story to relate in future years.

Have a joyful, blessed Chanukah.

aroc3435

Washington, DC

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Shanus,

Such a funny story about the diinner plate-size gelt you received.  Thank you for making me laugh and smile.

Enjoy your family this holiday!

Respected Contributor

Shabbat Shalom & Happy Hanukkah to all who celebrate!
@golding76: I wish I could send you some latkes! Surprisingly mine turned out perfect this year! Not a one burned!
@Shanus:. That is so funny about the "mega" gelt! My DH would devour it!
Hanukkah candles & other Jewish novelties & groceries are not generally found where I live either. However I am on the hunt early so pretty well stocked up ahead
Wishing all a good, safe & healthy Hanukkah week ahead. Thank you @sunala for being the "leader" each week! 💕
Respected Contributor

Good Shabbos and Happy Chanukah Sunny and friends,

Sunny, glad that you bring us all together. It is fun to gather. Donna provides the food and it is a lovely place.

When I was searching for candles yesterday I came across two bags of gelt.Who knows how old they were.

Good thoughts to all.

Please stay safe and well

hugs to all, 

henny

Honored Contributor

Re: @Re: SHABBAT SHALOM, HAPPY CHANUKAH &HAPPY WEEKEND TO ALL

@DREAMON wrote:

@Shanus , 

Funny....I would say you got a good deal on that Giant Gelt.Woman LOL

@DREAMON   Great deal, just shocked at the unexpected size. Going to the kids for outdoor latkes today...66 degrees. Can't wait to see their faces!! Maybe they'll use one to make giant s'mores on their firepit. LOL. The weather gods must have known I needed to see to them and warmed up the day from the low 50's. 

Honored Contributor

@aroc3435 wrote:

@Shanus   Things like this do happen when you order online.  

Even when they give size and/or measurements it sometimes isn't clear.  I especially dislike meaasurements in centimeters, or whatever some of the vendors use.  (Math challlenged am I.)

Photos can be deceptive.  So if reviews are available I try to browse through to be sure I'm not jumping to conclusions when I am anxious to purchase.

I bet you were trying to find the mesh bags with the gelt originally, corrrect?  I am not Jewish but I had childhood friends of that faith and was invited to their homes to share meals.

Hope your son and daughter-in-law will understand and will laugh as hard as I did, for which I thank you.

It will be a memorable story to relate in future years.

Have a joyful, blessed Chanukah.

aroc3435

Washington, DC

@aroc3435   Now that the surprize of it is over, it's funny. Yes, it was a Jewish/Hebrew site...broken English, centimeters (which I'm usually pretty good with from making jewelry). Maybe I misread. Yes, the mesh bags with multiple coins is what I expected. Well, uh now they get ones bigger than their heads!!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MOMMAVik   Usually, not even early shopping is lucky in the Jewish foods/supplies aisles here. I have close relatives in a big city several hours away who usually send care packages of deli (dry ice), chocolate babka, gift wrap, matza meal, Dr. Brown's Cream Soda (yummy), etc., but wouldn't ask them to mask up and shop for me. This year Hallmark had only 6 boxes of Hanukkah candles and 3 boxes of cards. 

***When we first moved south in 1951, no one knew what a bagel was...we had 15 Jewish families who met at eachother's homes on Friday nights until the synagogue was built in the mid-late 50's after more Jewish families had moved to the area...within a half hour to hour radius. They commuted to services and Sunday School. When anyone's Grandma came to visit, she'd make traditional foods and we'd all feast.