Honored Contributor

Re: SHABBAT SHALOM 🙋 April 29

@hennypenny wrote:

Good Shabbos friends,

This is such a special, peaceful spot to come each week.

Praying for peace, health and happiness world wide.

Donna, I don't keep kosher, so please pass the shrimp.

@hennypenny   Same here and I'd love a plate, too. It's difficult to grow up in the south w/o bacon, ham and shellfish of all kinds. 

Respected Contributor

Not sure I should put this out there, but true story.

My grandfather was a Rabbi in Texas. He was Reform, so didn't keep Kosher.

My grandmother had a lady who helped her in the kitchen. They had company from out of town and the guest raved about the wonderful chicken.She kept saying she had never had anything so delicious.

My grandmother realized the housekeeper had basted the chicken with bacon grease. She said she had enough angst for the group, so never mentioned why the chicken was so delicious.

Respected Contributor

@Shanus , message above in reply to yours. Wouldn't let me bring to your attention at the time.

Honored Contributor

@hennypenny    Don't know whether to laugh or cry. If the guests were kosher, it's best that they never were told about the basting. 

We had help in the house when my brother and I were quite young. She cleaned, cooked dinner and bathed us before leaving. She always cooked with bacon grease or ham hocks or fat back (still don't know what that was), but we were never kosher....Great dinners! My Dad was sad when she left since my Mom couldn't fry an egg and have it taste good.

Respected Contributor

@Shanus  et al, Yes, they were kosher, so my grandmother wisely kept her mouth shut. My other grandmother never cooked. She literally couldn't boil an egg. Her idea of cooking was to put a cold artichoke on a paper plate. Thursday and friday were the chefs night off and they went out to dinner.

My mother was a fabulous cook. Loved Julia child and french cooking. also made wonderful dishes from all over the world. She couldn't bake worth beans. She never measured and I follow in her footsteps. I adore cooking but an a terrible baker.