Honored Contributor

Re: SHABBAT SHALOM 4/15 HOLIDAY WEEKEND

@golding76   Thank you so much for your post. I never knew about celebrating Easter next Sunday and why for you. 

I knew the Seder was considered by Christians to be the last supper, but never knew that Greek Orthodox Christians waited until Passover was over to celebrate their Easter.

I always appreciate explanations that broaden my mind. Happy Easter NEXT Sunday. Thanks again for this info.

Honored Contributor

@golding76 ,

My husbands fraternal grandmother was Greek Orthodox. She lived with them for years. 

He and his family celebrated Easter, Passover, and Greek Orthodox ...all Holidays due to his grandparents being 3 religions....busy family for sure and so interesting and fun. 

EnjoyHeart

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Shanus and DREAMON, thank you for your Easter wishes.  Below is an even more complete explanation of why, sometimes, the Eastern Orthodox date for Easter differs from that of Western Christianity.  Sometimes, because of the way the timing works out, we celebrate along with Western Christianity.  I appreciate your interest and curiosity.  Differences are what make the world go 'round, as they say, and I, too, have always delighted in learning about other people and how they live.

Taken from BBC's Newsround

Orthodox churches in some countries including Greece, Cyprus and Romania base their Easter date on the Julian calendar.

The Julian Calendar was designed by Julius Caesar in 45 BC - basing a year on the time it takes the Sun to go around the Earth.

The Gregorian Calendar was created by Pope Gregory in 1582 to fix some of the glitches in the Julian Calendar as astronomy became more accurate.

Great Britain changed to the Gregorian calendar in 1752.

Also in the eastern Orthodox Church, Easter must happen after the Jewish festival of Passover - as in the Easter story, Jesus celebrates Passover before his death.

-----------------------

Here is the general guideline for all Christianity in setting the date of the movable feast Easter:

The simple standard definition of Easter is that it is the first Sunday after the full Moon that occurs on or after the spring equinox. If the full Moon falls on a Sunday then Easter is the next Sunday.  Eastern Orthodoxy adds the further guideline that Passover must be over.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Hey all!  I couldn't find this thread yesterday.  Happy Passover & Good Shabbos to all of you.  Time to get ready for the second seder...

If you can dream it you can do it--Walt Disney
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Chag Pesach Sameach to those who celebrate!

Happy Easter to those who celebrate!

Lead with love,

-Solar Smiley Happy