Honored Contributor

Re: SEPTEMBER 2015 - Back Fence

@Bird mama wrote:

Hello all - it remains hot and humid here and storms are on the horizon for the afternoon or evening.  Back to work after a relaxing Labor Day weekend.

Epi - that's the down side of trying to hire somebody to do something for you - they think you are a dummy and want to rob you blind.  I know how to replace lightswitches, electrical outlets and light fixtures (providing they aren't too weird).  Those types of things I would do myself. 

Freddie - I'm sure Charlotte was a great help to you and also fun to spend time with.  Is Charlotte your only child?  I ask it in the present tense, because regardless of her current location (heaven) she remains your DD and you remain her Mom.  3,600 rescues?  Jesus, did any of them know how to swim before they jumped in the water?

Waving hello to Mousie, Spix, Betty, Sue, Luvsbulldogs and all of our visitors.

Birdmama, Charlotte passed many years ago, I believe.

Honored Contributor

Mousie, I know that Charlotte passed away many years ago, which is why I included the reference to heaven :-)  

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

Mousie, I know that Charlotte passed away many years ago, which is why I included the reference to heaven :-)  

Didn't see that reference, but do now.  

Respected Contributor

Yes, my daughter did pass away many years back - she was so young and beautiful. She would now be nearing SS age. Does that make me old? Sure does.

Weather just miserable. Am NOT leaving coffee today - what about ice water, ice tea, hand fans and perhaps some veggie straws - those things are good. Suppose to be even hotter and more humid today. Ahhhh, I still have great memories when we did NOT have humidity with hot weather, only when it rained. That is the way it should be. LOL.  The energy people say if you need AC do not set it above 78 - that is a joke. I keep mine at 82 or 83. With the humidity it is a lifesaver but still not real cool. We had hail, rain, etc all around us for a few seconds but NOTHING at my house. This morning I do need to fill the bird bath - will try and fill a couple feeders but even so doubt if I will see many birds due to the excessive heat.

Have things to do that must be done. First is to take Davey to school (it was horrible sitting out in that heat yesterday picking him up. Groan.), Curves, beauty shop - and I use that term loosely - to have what remains of my hair washed and set. Too hot for a perm which I desperately need as I would sweat it out immediately and I would have nothing but frizz. LOL. . Then a couple other errands, home for a spell and then to do the return trip to the high school - sure dread the afternoon trip.

Stay cool one and all.

Respected Contributor

Good Morning All

Had a nasty storm yesterday while I was at O'Hare, everything just shut down, the wind was really blowing, so then a lot of delays/cancellation, so we were very busy

My sister will be in town Friday with husbands ashes for burial, she'll be staying with me so I have to get cleaning, seems I need a purpose to really get moving, at least the house will look pretty good.

Thinking of meals, etc, I know one day will be slow cooker, so we can visit Mom in nursing home & not have to worry about dinner, otherwise no ideas yet, her B=Day is Sat so I think we'll go out, funeral is Monday

Epi, I feel your pain, having people in to do jobs that I used to do myself plus the big $$ so I just tell myself everything is ok  

Winifred so frustrating with your weather I wonder will El Nino be a help to you, "they" are saying it will tame our winter, so we'll see

Bernie hope the job is improving & things have settled down, hang in there girl

To all, have a good day & visit soon

Honored Contributor

Freddie, you are not old dear woman, you just had Charlotte when you were a young thing :-)

I don't know how you are making it in the heat and humidity - you have the kind of weather that could kill someone and I am not joking. 

I usually keep my A/C at 78 but the night before last, I didn't want anyone to get chilled at bed time so in the dark, I thought I bumped the A/C up to 79 so it wouldn't come on as much.  Well, apparently I have a lead finger and should putz with the thermostat in the dark.  When I came home from work yesterday, I thought, hmmm the house feels a little warm.  I had kicked the thermostat up to 82.  The downstairs wasn't too bad, the upstairs was a wee bit toasty.  Since Presto is coming out of her molt and my old man Poppi is just starting his, it was okay the upstairs was warm.  Don't want my little old man getting a chill while his feathers are falling out.  I did kick the A/C on though to 79 just to take some of the heat out of it.  At least the house wasn't humid.

Spix, I think you got the rain storm that missed me.  We got some rain last night, but no thunder or lightening (that I am aware of).  I am sorry that your sister lost her husband.  I've been there and will say a prayer for her. It's good that she has you to spend time with. 

Respected Contributor

Thanx Bernie, I went thru that myself some years ago, it's not easy but we manage, I'll be happy to see her even if it is under these circumstances, we'll have a chance to catch up & act like kids again  lol

Weather here today is perfect & should stay the same for a few days, I hope.

Pretty much have the house ready for company, will wash the sheets tomorrow & hang out, cause I know my sister likes the smell of fresh sheets, which I do also, then just finish up getting Sadie's dog hairs off of everything, a losing battle but so be it

The funeral will just be a grave site service, so not sure what I'll wear, then lunch afterwards, will enjoy catching up with other relatives, sad to say it's usually at times like this.

Take Care all Back Fencers, I love being here

Honored Contributor

Spix, we love having you here :-)

I haven't been outside since my morning commute to work this morning, but I understand it shouldn't be any hotter than 78 degrees.  I didn't leave windows open at home because now my eldest Poppi is molting and I don't want him to be chilled early in the day.  I am looking forward to enjoying some fresh air later - even if it's just an hour or so.

Esteemed Contributor

Hi bird...I thot of you today while shopping the shoe section at Nordstrom Rack...came across a pair like these and thot an employee had inadvertently put a pair of men's shoes in with the women's. But, no, there were several more similar styles!  I remembered a recent thread about this trend where you had a pretty strong opinion about it LOL...

I refuse to wear men's shoes!!  LOL

I've had one heck of a week at work:  taxes, big shots in my face, the a/c is out AND the guy I share an office with doesn't like the ceiling fan blowing air on him (really?????????) AND it's been 3 very hot, very humid days...Murphy's law!  I've been grumpy and short-tempered...told my boss that if the a/c is not fixed by my next scheduled work day, I would not be coming in...so there...fire me!!

Cooler weather in the forecast, tho, thank the Good LORD.  Hope you and all the back fencers are doing well.

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Honored Contributor

@MacDUFF

I don't mind a menswear inspired oxford, but some of those high fashion models are wearing men's shoes and you and I know it (lol).

Honestly, I really don't like working with people, period :-)  I'm sorry the A/C is out at work.  I'm afraid that I work in one of those mirrored buildings on the 18th floor and if the A/C was out, so would Bernie be. For real, unless someone can get a doctor to insert an IV to hydrate me......

And to be stuck next to a whiner 49-er.  I can tell you from real life experience I would look at him and say, hey, shut it.

I have the windows open and it's 78 degrees here - not much humidity.  Got in the 50's last night and my furnace kicked on - rofl. 

It's going to be 60 degree weather (highs) the next couple of days.  I LOVE IT.  Can't wait to wear a longsleeved top.