Respected Contributor

Re: SEPTEMBER 2015 - Back Fence

@Winifred wrote:

Someone will have to explain to me why I have TWO Back Fence threads and TWO Bird Nests threads. Are there gremlins afoot again?  Just drives me insane - these boards that is.

Not as hot today - in fact past couple days or so it has not been bad at all.

Davey is doing fine -   - now to get him to OPEN his school books, READ them and then DO some work. What a royal pain he has become. Now if I could only get him to show even half the energy in school work that he does in cleaning out the food in this house - he would be getting STRAIGHT A's!!!!! Sigh.

Winifred, that's happened to me here  & what's cooking, don't know what I did, but it became 2 threads, I apologize to all

Sue have not figured why your post had to be sent here via someone else - but perhaps I will.

Hope all have a great day.

Epi, slow down and smell the flowers. LOL.

Respected Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

Happy Friday Fencers :-)

It rained steadily last night and actually helped to put me to sleep.  It's kind of hazy and still hot and humid, but at least the threes and shrubs got a drink of water.

The construction guys poured the concrete for the street (on the other side of me) yesterday morning.  They were squeegeeing water off of it today so I guess the rain didn't bother it.  

Hopefully in a couple of weeks they will do my side (length of about 7 houses).  My side is the final part of the street and then we'll be done.

Hope you'll be done soon, went thru that some years ago, a real mess, send the rain here & to Winifred

Respected Contributor

These boards were super slow last evening. I posted on a thread, went and checked on dinner and I finally ate dinner and came back and I still had a click or two to make - over an hour to get that thing completed. But it DID post.. Weird for sure.

Yesterday was very nice out here in Sou Cal. Triple digits are returning and while I am not happy about that, it is the norm. Actually September can be as hot or hotter than August often. Well I can hope can't I?

Looking forward to church this morning - nothing special - just the fact I KNOW the Pastor will give a great message - he always does. Still have no clue how or if the church will survive after the blow up quite some months back but we do get an occasional new person there. Actually each Sunday there is someone new but often they do not return. Great messages, people are super nice but sure need a lot more people. The Pastor we have came out of retirement and if anyone can get it moving again, he can do it. Do wish however, we had a few more people to provide music. Personally, I think music also plays a big role - at least it does for me. No way financially, they can look for a better place to meet - need money for that. The church continues to meet in a warehouse and they have the area set up super nice for church and actually very accommodating but it is still a warehouse on the outside. Oh well, can always hope.

Am leaving some coffee and donuts. Now who does NOT like donuts? Got powdered and glazed so dig in.

I only have a small barbecue which was fine for me but not too helpful for big time cooking outside. So I bought some packaged hot chicken wings - kids like them, I cannot stand them. LOL. But at any rate I plan to have those with something else for Labor Day. Going to be triple digits on Monday anyway. I do use that grill for hot dogs - works just great. Who knows, maybe they would prefer those - doubt it however. They usually prefer burgers OR chicken stuff - like the hot wings. They love those things.

Have a great day everyone!!!!

Honored Contributor

Freddie, the boards continue to be slow today.  90 degree weather gets next to me so I really don't think I could handle triple digit temps. 

Church is always special when you have a Pastor who knows how to deliver the word.  Hopefully membership will pick up in time.  I've been to some grand looking historic Catholic churches in my time.  I've been to incredibly rustic and plain Catholic churches.  Personally, I've felt closer to God in the simpler spaces - without all the froo froo.

Thanks for the donuts, I'll take a glazed one.

I don't have anything on my radar for the Labor Day holiday.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Trusted Contributor

Well, it's only 4, but I'm calling it a day,LOL!!!!!!

since yesterday we go everything not necessary out of the kitchen. All things off the wall in dining room,and china cabinet packed,and all  decorative items out off the family room. Feel like I've done a weeks worth of work in three days. Also went and picked out carpet, I got wool. I knew it would be more costly than mam made,but it will outlast me!!!!  And not stain as wool has so much lanolin in it.

its is really hot out,but I'm out in tne deck with the ceiling fan on. It feels just like the Bahamas. well, except no ocean :Smiley Frustrated

think we will have breakfast for dinner tonight. It's easy and just seems like a good idea for a change.

you all enjoy your long weekend.

Trusted Contributor

Too hot for me here.  The air is very heavy.  ill have a glazed donut. We had nice church service with the assoc pastor talking about rubber bands. From shooting a sling shot at Goliath to collecting a big ball.  Since the middle schoolers did not have Sunday school, they seemed to enjoy it.  We went out to a breakfast bar and I think the only one who enjoyed it was me. They all went through the line and the scrambled eggs were watery. I on the other hand, being a wise woman went to the omelet bar and chose my ingredients and watched him cook it. He was just a young kid that thought he was a pro. He flipped my omelet and I held my breath. It was awesome.   Then we went to Costco.  We should have taken the kids there for lunch. They would have loved the pizza   They did find samples that they liked.   Joe wanted a ninja blender and Tyler wanted some Greg Norman shorts.  When we got ready to check out all I had gotten was chocolate chip cookies     Epi, you are a Wonder Woman.  I'm pooped just thinking about all that activity. Sorry, they won't let me make paragraphs. Just like in the old days.  Wish they'd give the tablets a break.   

Honored Contributor

Good Morning Fencers - it's labor day, take a rest and take it easy in the heat.  I did my grocery shopping around noon yesterday then cut my front yard grass when I arrived home.  It was hot, humid, with a slight breeze and even though I paused to sip water, I could feel my face getting red like a tomato (lol).   

Once that was done, I came inside and watched on old Bruce Willis movie on TV.  After a 2 hour rest (lol) I looked in the backyard and the sun was in a place in the sky that allowed my trees to shade about 80% of the yard.  That's when I went out and cut the backyard grass.  It looked nice when it was said and done and I'm glad I got it out of the way for the next two weeks. 

It supposed to be a few degrees hotter today - 90 or 91 - and the rain hasn't come yet so we still have the humidity.

I think I will make a run to the recycle center and then keep my butt in the house.

Trusted Contributor

Hope you all had a good Labor Day. I did nothing, and it seems like the longest day of the year,LOL!!!! Got a lot of reading done. I sure am sore from all my work this past week. So now I just tell Vin where to put pictures when he takes them off the wall. 

Be soooo glad to get this place painted. OMG, I forgot to tell you all a story. we met the painter at the carpet warehouse,and vin mentioned the powder room,it was not onthe estimate. 

The P.R. Is so small I can almost touch all four walls at once,but it's o.k. The painter said,"that will be $300.00 more!!!!!  I almost fainted,  Man Surprised I said are you serious?????  he said,well, the paint costs $40.  I said we can do it for free. he just shrugged and said a regbathroom would be $650. My daughter said she'd do it for $100. She's looking for a job,LLLOL!!!!  

Spoiler

Dont think well callhimback to do any other work. Asked us about switch plates ans plates for plugs. Said they start at $15 per switch.so my four switch would be $60.  Guess who will be making a trip to Lowes or Home Depot!!!!

Will be soooo glad when this is over.  Man Frustrated

Respected Contributor

It's tough dealing with anyone these days to do anything around the house. I have run into that. If I could still do some things I would, but cannot. Needless to say, some things are not getting done. Too much $$$. I often think this is just another reason I miss my daughter - she and her friends would be here in force and handle most anything. Bless her, I miss her just because but also miss her being there to help Mom.

Lifeguards did 3600 rescues yesterday - that is unheard of. Our beaches were jam packed yesterday. Currents have been risky for some time and people tend to ignore it - unreal.

I see the dentist who shot Cecil is going back to work and just cannot understand why anyone would be upset with him. Now to me, that response figures. Will say no more.

Mercy me, I truly dread getting in gear - will be glad to get some exercising in this morning however. I thought it was so unreal they were closed for almost 4 days, Three full days and the fourth day they were only open 4 hours. Dumb!!

Have a great day everyone.

Honored Contributor

Hello all - it remains hot and humid here and storms are on the horizon for the afternoon or evening.  Back to work after a relaxing Labor Day weekend.

Epi - that's the down side of trying to hire somebody to do something for you - they think you are a dummy and want to rob you blind.  I know how to replace lightswitches, electrical outlets and light fixtures (providing they aren't too weird).  Those types of things I would do myself. 

Freddie - I'm sure Charlotte was a great help to you and also fun to spend time with.  Is Charlotte your only child?  I ask it in the present tense, because regardless of her current location (heaven) she remains your DD and you remain her Mom.  3,600 rescues?  Jesus, did any of them know how to swim before they jumped in the water?

Waving hello to Mousie, Spix, Betty, Sue, Luvsbulldogs and all of our visitors.