Honored Contributor

Re: Rules to Teach Your Daughter

Geez what a sexist list!! This should be a rule for teaching your children!!!

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

Lists of this sort for conduct don't track with how I see the world.  The absence of acknowledgement of the divine as the ultimate guide for life makes it not relevant for me. I've kind of already got my "rules",  from a source that has my utmost respect and obeisance!

Not to say that some individual rules aren't good, like #17 "never lie to yourself", and #36, the re-stating of the Golden Rule.  

Honored Contributor

I loved the list and every parent should utilize it. The world would be a much better place if people lived their lives following some simple rules. 

Find a job you love and every woman should be able to take care of herself were things my parents taught me. 

Esteemed Contributor

Rule #25 has me confounded.  Yes, a certain degree of self-love is necessary in life.  However, as young children are brought up, they should learn to love God, their country, their family, and all their fellow man.  How many people now and in history have given their lives for something higher than themselves?  Good thing so many weren’t raised to think “It’s all about me.”  

Esteemed Contributor

Treat your mother the way you’d like your daughter to treat you.

Honored Contributor

@PamfromCT wrote:

Rule #25 has me confounded.  Yes, a certain degree of self-love is necessary in life.  However, as young children are brought up, they should learn to love God, their country, their family, and all their fellow man.  How many people now and in history have given their lives for something higher than themselves?  Good thing so many weren’t raised to think “It’s all about me.”  

@PamfromCT  Excellent! 

Honored Contributor

Definitely agree with #7--I say this often myself.  Disagree with #33--some families are not so great and #35 not all mothers are loving.

The others are a mixed bag and most would apply to a son also.

Respected Contributor

I disagree that family is everything. Many people who have shown me that they cared about me and who have been there for me have not shared my bloodline, whereas "family" has let me down. So, to me, family is NOT "everything".

Honored Contributor

I like a couple of them.  Generally, I taught by example.  That's the way our children (and not just our daughters)  learn the most important life lessons.  

Respected Contributor

@manhattan1950 wrote:

I would ONLY have ONE rule instead of the 37 posted ones -

USE COMMON SENSE.

My mom always said this to me. I wished I listened to it more.👍🙂