Respected Contributor

Re: Roku and Amazon stick

[ Edited ]

@Marp wrote:

The devices can be detected because they are connected to the internet through your router.  Neither device has a camera.

IMO the tech with whom you spoke should be reported to Frontier for fearmongering by spreading false information.

This, 100% this. Those devices do NOT have cameras.

They have sensors to detect the remote control signal and that is all. The Firestick plugs into the back of the TV, so what would the point of a camera even be? All it would see would be the wall and the back of the TV. 

The cable company can see things connected to your router because they are connected to your router via their cable service.

Some devices do have cameras and/or microphones, so you should learn which ones do and do not, preferably before you make a purchase. The Firestick and Roku devices do not have cameras. Some remotes have microphones, but they are not the "always on" kind that personal assistant devices have. They have a button you have to press to activate the microphone.

Esteemed Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

Could be a Frontier tactic.  If I remember, Frontier is a cable company and they probably don't want you going elsewhere for your tv viewing!

@CelticCrafter  Oh that is a good point.  I am under contract with them but I am out when it is over.  They have had me on the phone twice now for 3 hrs with router issues.  You have to pay to have a technician come out.   It is too costly and that is why I am trying to get used to the sticks.  Pretty rotten if he  lied about the cameras.   ARGH!!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

@Marp wrote:

The devices can be detected because they are connected to the internet through your router.  Neither device has a camera.

IMO the tech with whom you spoke should be reported to Frontier for fearmongering by spreading false information.

You are correct.  I am not happy if they made this up. I am not happy with them anyway, so this puts another nail in their coffin. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Roku and Amazon stick

[ Edited ]

@jackthebear wrote:

@BalletBabe wrote:

I was having issues with my router.  The genlemen on the line, wasfrom Frontier.  He was able to see my rokus and fire sticks.  I asked him how, and he said if it is plugged in that it is running even if the TV is off.   He also said they are equipped with cameras.  Said when not watching, remove the stick as you will have no privacy.   He floored me.n Just thought I would pass this on incase you want to know.  

I know several worried about purchasing Alexa because of being washed but if you have Roku or fire stick they are watching you.   This world is getting crazy!

I think he was playing you

I don't think he was,  and he was also telling me how it saves electricity.  I am sure it does, but the little it takes can't be enough to worry about.  I am very disappointed in this company.  I had bright house for 15 years and loved them and they sold out to Spectrum.  Spectrum bought out Brighthouse and they wanted 50.00 more a month then Frontier.   They are all getting money hungry.  I spend more time watching you tube then anything else.   Cannot wait till this contract is up.   

Honored Contributor

@BalletBabe.  That's why so many people are pulling the plug on cable and satellite and coming up with alternate sources of TV entertainment for less $$$.  I've got mine set up so i like it BETTER than my Direct TV.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@BalletBabe.  That's why so many people are pulling the plug on cable and satellite and coming up with alternate sources of TV entertainment for less $$$.  I've got mine set up so i like it BETTER than my Direct TV.

@Kachina624   I agree and that is why I have the sticks.  I am under a contract for another year and then bye bye.   They are  getting greedy.