Respected Contributor

Re: Ring Doorbell Didn't stop the crime

Camera doorbells don't stop criminals. These people are very brazen. The hope is if you post the theft on a neighborhood site or social media, someone will turn them in. It's worked well in many Denver neighborhoods. Sometimes our local TV stations show the videos.
Honored Contributor

@hckynut.  I hope you went and introduced yourself to your neighbor as "Mr John Squatter".

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

@FancyPhillyshopper  I agree. Even though we have an alarm system inside the house and Ring cameras outside, our large dog is our best protection! She barks whenever someone even walks by our house and definitely lets me know when someone is on our property.

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@hckynut wrote:

@furbabylover w,,rote:

Why wouldn't criminals get more brazen when they know the laws won't be enforced?

@furbabylover 

Might depend on where you live. Smaller cities usually have less crime and law enforcement tends more to respond to home thefts and burglaries.

He!!, I had 3 Sheriff's come to my home around midnight. I had to prove that I lived here. That 3 ended with 4 before they left. Said a neighbor called and told them squatters were living in our home. Had to show ID who I was and ID for my legal weapon. Wife was in the  bedroom sleeping, never heard a thing!

hckynut

@hckynut  Agree with you there. Small town here, no problems.    We just called the police the other night as a car pulled into the driveways of two empty houses across the street. Police were here in less than five minutes and did a thorough search around the properties.

I have reported suspicious activity a couple of times in our neighborhood and the police have been responsive.  Once, there were squatters or at least someone who spent the night in the house and stole a bunch of stuff while they were there. The homeowners were MIA at the time and, it turned out, their home was foreclosed shortly after that.  They did come back to get a lot of their stuff and they were the ones that told us the people had stolen their property and slept in their bed.

Another time I called about someone jumping the neighbor's fence.  I wasn't able to contact the neighbor so I called the police.  It turned out to be someone they had hired about a pool cover; however, they fired him for jumping their fence.  He came a day early because he was in the area, but didn't clear it with them.  They thanked me for calling the police.  

I also called them one night for a man trying to come in the house.  He was drunk and refused to leave.  They took him away.

Honored Contributor

@FancyPhillyshopper wrote:

Big barking dogs with sharp teeth will stop most crimes.

I do not have any ring doorbell cameras, but I have two dogs and they alert me when anybody walks onto the property or comes near the front door.

I feel much safer knowing they are "on patrol."

Same here @FancyPhillyshopper .  Although we have a security system with video, the dogs are an added benefit.  They go nuts when when anyone comes near the home. 

Valued Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

Someone posted a Ring Doorbell video on our Nextdoor group of a lady calmly walking around their front yard stealing all their solar lights.  When she's done she's lit up like a Christmas tree walking back to her car which she had parked in their driveway.

@Icegoddess 

Where was this?  

Honored Contributor

@tarsmom wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

Someone posted a Ring Doorbell video on our Nextdoor group of a lady calmly walking around their front yard stealing all their solar lights.  When she's done she's lit up like a Christmas tree walking back to her car which she had parked in their driveway.

@Icegoddess 

Where was this?  

@tarsmom it could be anywhere, but this particular event was in AL.

Honored Contributor

Cameras don't deter all crimes.  Thieves know how to do quick and easy snatch and get away.  My bff live in a very exlusive part of town, everyone has security cameras.  Last summer she saw two women grab two gorgeous flower urns from her front step and awkwardly (they were heavy!) carry them down her walkway and away somewhere.  They were smart enough not to park within sight of her house.  They parked several houses down and at angle at which the security camera at that house did not capture the license plate number.  There was nothing the police could do.  Same with the porch pirates. Homeowners end up with a lovely video of a thief making off with their UPS packages.  

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@hckynut.  I hope you went and introduced yourself to your neighbor as "Mr John Squatter".

@Kachina624 

That's  funny! This neighbor moved into their home across the road 1 month before we did in 2002. Knew them pretty well. Her husband died of a heart attack at age 44, not sure of the year.

Anyways, when this Sheriff thing happened, it was when our basement flooded with sewage. It was during one of my 3 week hospital stays, so my wife didn't tell me about it till I was going home.

Was during one of my weakest physical times, so I could barely get up the basement steps once in a day. We had a huge dumpster parked at the end of our driveway where all my destroyed electronics/gym equipment/furniture etc was being thrown out.

Since I was in the hospital so long, and my wife spent a lot of time there with me? The neighbors didn't see us, but saw different men and women going in and out of our house.

That is what precipitated her call, as I found out later when I spoke to her. Strange story, eh?  Took me awhile to figure out "what the he!!"!

hckynut 

hckynut(john)