Respected Contributor

Dr. Phil is on Stephen Colbert! He mention he has been married now for 40 years. (Us, too!). Stephen asked what the secret is. He said that he decided he'd rather be happy that right! So, how about you? If you could only be one or the other, which would be your choice?

(Hint: I'm assuming he means that if he corrects his wife, or proves a point, he will cause a fight or hard feelings.  So, if proving you are right about something would cause hard feelings between you and your SO, would you still go ahead and prove to SO you are right, or would you rather keep your mouth shut to keep the peace?

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Honored Contributor

That would definitely depend on what it was about....

Honored Contributor

I'll just say I pick my battles carefully as does my husband.  We're on year 44.  I find that so hard to believeSmiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Coming up on thirty years for us and I don't think you have to choose. I think sometimes both people are right but you just pick your issues and you don't sweat the small stuff. If it is something you are really passionate about then by all means stand up for it and don't back up or back down but it is all in how you present your views and feelings when it gets right down to it. You can be right without being boastful or rubbing it in. You can't take angry words back and saying you are sorry won't take them away or the hurt. Treat each other with kindness and remember you are on the same team.

Honored Contributor

@Imadickens

I doubt that there is any long lasted couple that can say being right does not mean being unhappy, and vice versa. If together long enough it does not boil down to one or the other of your 2 choices.

Throw in different circumstances and you have?

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Frequent Contributor

DH and I celebrated 52 years of wedded bliss on 9/11 (hard date to forget).

I don't have to be right but once I explain to him why he's wrong it all works out.

Just kidding. I thank my lucky stars that he is in my life.

Honored Contributor

@Imadickens wrote:

Dr. Phil is on Stephen Colbert! He mention he has been married now for 40 years. (Us, too!). Stephen asked what the secret is. He said that he decided he'd rather be happy that right! So, how about you? If you could only be one or the other, which would be your choice?

(Hint: I'm assuming he means that if he corrects his wife, or proves a point, he will cause a fight or hard feelings.  So, if proving you are right about something would cause hard feelings between you and your SO, would you still go ahead and prove to SO you are right, or would you rather keep your mouth shut to keep the peace?

@Imadickens

Word is she's, uh,  rather difficult and he most likely doesn't have a pre-nup.   Divorcing her would be an absolute  nightmare!

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Imadickens wrote:

@Imadickens

Word is she's, uh,  rather difficult and he most likely doesn't have a pre-nup.   Divorcing her would be an absolute  nightmare!

I bet Mrs. Phil wears the pants!👖

Honored Contributor

I think it's about the conversation. Everyone has a right to their opinion and to be happy. I find after 50 years, we now say more, "that was a good idea" to the other one. We may have thought it before and just gone along with it, now we say it. Like a compliment. Nice way to be complimented.  There's more to being "nice to each other" - it's the little things.

Esteemed Contributor

After 40 years I know that I am not going to change him........happy