Trusted Contributor

Re: Review of Leg Master Machine

@Pamela330 wrote:

@BExplorer Your ABS & BUTT will thank me too! Noticed my six pack (ABS) are starting to peek through after all these years. NICE!!!  Smiley Very Happy

Seriously @Pamela330 ?  Surprising this little contraption gives such noticeable results 👍.  I did my 10 sets of 100 yesterday and have 6 sets down so far today!  

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."--Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

I just wanted to come back to this review and thank @dulwich for the inspiration. It made me look at this machine--and then come up with my own (completely ratchet!) system to get a similar effect.

I was in the kitchen and noticed the paper plates we have for feeding the cats their wet food. (This is the only way we use paper plates. Human food goes on the regular porcelain. I just hated washing the wet food off the cat dishes every day so much that I implemented this system.) And I remembered an old exercise video I used to do that had paper plates as part of it.

So I took 2 paper plates and put them on the floor and stepped one foot on each. Then I leaned forward onto the kitchen table, with some weight on my forearms, and proceeded to do the same basic motion with my legs as the reviewed machine does. And I felt it! I can see doing this every other day or every day, and working up to a lot more repetitions.

So thanks again for the inspiration! It was very easy to do, yet I can tell it's going to be effective. Much simpler and faster than leg lifts, for sure.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@Porcelain 

Always like seeing people doing exercises. Sounds like you are a bit like me when it comes to improvising. Unless I am reading this wrong, the exercises you described, are for working the Abductor and the Adductor muscles(inner and outer thigh).

While they do include the Quad muscle, they are not an exercise that can replace leg lifts. The leg lifts primary targets are the Quad and Hip Flexor muscle group. Quad strength along with Hip Flexor strength, including their flexibility, are the best I have ever found to enhance my ice skating abilities.

Kudos to you for finding a way to get more use out of your cat feeding paper plates. Wonder if your cats might pick up on your trick!    =^..^=

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

Is this an eliptical machine like this?

image.png

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 @No it is a machine with a handle in the center that you hold while sliding your legs out and together.Sold on Q and called leg master

Esteemed Contributor

@dex wrote:

@Anonymous032819 @No it is a machine with a handle in the center that you hold while sliding your legs out and together.Sold on Q and called leg master

Oh, so it's this machine.

leg master.jpeg

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

Oh, so it's this machine.

leg master.jpeg

@Anonymous032819 

Yes

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@Porcelain @I tried your idea and bingo!It really is a workout.You are genius.

Honored Contributor

@dex 

When someone really looks closely at exercise movements and understands what muscle groups are activated, improvisation is made much easier, even those involving some type of machine. 

A person that understands the mechanics involved with the activation of certain muscle groups makes it much easier to replicate the same, or similar movements, done by machines, but without the necessity of having "said machine". Congrats to @Porcelain  for doing just that.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@dex wrote:

@Porcelain @I tried your idea and bingo!It really is a workout.You are genius.

I'm thrilled you tried it! That makes me happy. It is easy/simple to do the motion, but the effort is hard. Did it again today.

The machine has a slight curve up at the ends of the track, so it seems to me it may be more effective than my version. There are still reasons to buy it. But my version definitely takes up less space.

@hckynutOne of my two cats came running when I put down the plates. He heard the noise and assumed it must be early mealtime. They love it when I exercise, especially on the floor, like for abs work. "Finally she's acting more like a proper cat! See? Now roll around on your back like me. Hmmm...Well at least she's trying."

On another topic, I have a great book I just love, called The Anatomy of Movement. It shows which muscles activate during different motions and dance positions. So interesting! Do you have it?

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr