Respected Contributor

Re: Retirement - How Much Notice?

When my husband retired the company has a policy of 2 months noticed.  I'm assuming your company does not so 1 month would be sufficient. Gives them time to get your paper work in order, time for you to use up any acquired time off, train new person, etc. 

Trusted Contributor

I gave 4 months notice and they were mad about that. I know they were/are short handed but that's not my fault. I was the only one doing my job but that was one of the problems. I was very unhappy and the company is in shambles. Give whatever amount of time is necessary.

Enjoy your retirement. Congratulations!!!!

Honored Contributor

I wouldn't give more than 2 weeks notice and that would be after I took any  time that wasn't used up.

Respected Contributor

I agree with the posters who say that first you should check your pension plan, check with Social Security (you won't have the same amount of benefits $ as you would if you wait until your full Social Security retirement at age 66.5? or so for your age group), and check with Medicare. If yours is the only income that you depend on, I'd also make sure that you have $ available ($ that's not tied up in investment accounts) while your pension and/or Social Security and other income is processing.

I'm part of the Great Resignation and left my job in late 2020. My boss was & is a dear friend, but I didn't give notice or discuss my possible departure until I was fully prepared to leave. It was also an emotional time, and I knew I would miss everyone at work (we stay in touch).

I was contacted 3 times by the central office asking me to come back to work, but I didn't return.

Trusted Contributor

A month is enough, more may be welcome, but really, you have no way to know how your company will feel about your plans or manage your replacement. They have a lot of options. They can hire. They can outsource. They can ask you to stay part time. They can give you a bonus to leave early, or you can ask for one. They can rearrange the work so it gets done a different way. There are lots of possibilities.

If you decide to give them 2 or 3 months and a gesture of loyalty, and offer to help train someone, they may or may not be able to take you up on it. Don't take it personally. 

Businesses always have to cope with turnover among employees; it's part of the deal. And if you think about it, it's kinda none of your business what they do. You only have a say about what you will do. However, if you are going to turn 65, they must be assuming retirement is likely and not be seriously surprised. It's nice to hear that you are thinking this through up front, so you know what you want. I wish you well!

Frequent Contributor

My husband works for a big bank and has over 25 years there.  He is the senior project manager with 69% of the work force in his team have gone to different banks or quit during the pandemic. 

It takes 2 years with many levels to learn the job thoroughly.  He is doing the job of 3 project managers at this point.  He made the mistake in telling upper management that he plans to retire December 2nd of this year.  He wanted to give them a heads up to get the younger members of the team up to par.

Unfortunately they are giving him so much work knowing that he is leaving because he won't up and quit and go to another job since he is retiring.  They just gave him a another huge project and he is already working overtime every day and even on weekends.  He just told me he plans to retire earlier.  I expect any day he will give them his 2 week notice.

I don't think it is good to give them a heads up.  Just 2 weeks would be fine.

Respected Contributor

I always heard that you should give as much notice as you get vacation time. Example: if you get 2 weeks vacation a year, you give 2 weeks notice. 4 weeks a year, 4 weeks notice, etc.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

Just give 2 weeks notice.  By then, a whole new boss or others in charge at that time could be in control.  Your ties will be cut when you walk out the door for the final time.  You won't owe them at that time.  2 weeks, they'll train a new person in the way they want anyway. JMHO

Honored Contributor

I think you can safely assume they expect retirements coinciding with the 65th birthday.  Someone told me last week that in her company this is called "Kiss My A** Day."

Honored Contributor

I retired at 62. Not sure how much notice I gave, but everyone including bosses were happy for me. They knew I couldn't wait to go. Not because of the job but I was sick of working. To my dismay I thought I could retire the day I turned 62, but had to complete the month. Didn't care that I would get less SS. None of my jobs had a pension plan.