Regular Contributor
Looking for suggestions for a great gift to give to my co-worker who will be retiring in June. She has become a friend to me and looking for some great ideas on what to get. Thank you.
Honored Contributor

@joann1218 wrote:
Looking for suggestions for a great gift to give to my co-worker who will be retiring in June. She has become a friend to me and looking for some great ideas on what to get. Thank you.

@joann1218 , I would ask what she likes. If she is a reader, an Amazon gift card would be great for regular or ebooks. What are her hobbies ? Does she do crafts, knitting, crocheting, etc. Whatever she loves, she will have time to devote to it. I know some people hate gift cards, but really if you don't have a specific gift in mind, I think a gift card is perfect. Oh, and if you live in or near a city museum membership would be nice , if that is of interest to her. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

Some people have charities that they particularly like to support. You could always make a donation in their name. Asking others if they want to join you in that (pooling together for a larger amount of money) is always a nice thing to do, too. 

Honored Contributor

favorite restaurant gift card or a gift card to be used anywhere 

Honored Contributor

Maybe something engraved,

Happy Tuesday - Wishing you a day filled with positivity and all the good  things life has to offer https://tinyurl.com/35yveeys #happytu... |  Instagram

Respected Contributor

@joann1218 

I agree with the other posters.  Find out something she's into or where she likes to eat and get a gift card.

Somehting else that always makes a nice gift is a small, meaningful piece of jewelry like the stretch bracelet or my Saint pieces the Q sells.💝🌸

Honored Contributor

What are her hobbies? Does she read a lot? Does she garden? Walk? Exercise? Belong to certain social or political groups?  Travel?

Consider a gift card to her favorite coffee shop, book store, garden store, hobby store if she's into that, etc.

Does she want to travel to see kids/grandkids? If she would drive, get her a gift card for gas.  

My experience....don't get her company merchandise.

Trusted Contributor

@CalminHeart 

And I would NOT give her anything alive, that she has to take care of!

Watering, fertilizing, bug/disease control, etc. is not what you want to do when you first retire.

It's all about catching up on all that sleep you missed!

Respected Contributor

Go with a giftcard or take her out.  Do not give her a physical gift.   As someone who will retire at the end of the year, I am getting rid of things.   I don't need any more stuff. 

Esteemed Contributor

I've given restaurant gift cards for places I know that person liked to go and also a VISA gift card.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown