Respected Contributor

Re: Retirees - how do you structure your days?

I think it's good to have a little routine. I'm not retired but, my mother, who is in her 80s is very active. She has yoga 2x week, 3 book groups, she volunteers (always has) and she still walks every day and takes hikes, travels, etc.,  It's important to still be around people. Try and volunteer w/ an organization that supports a passion of yours; animals, children, etc., 

Respected Contributor

No help from me either.  I'm in the no structure team.  That is what retirement is all about.  Your time is your own now.  You can choose to have a day as full as you want. Decide, today I'll take a day trip somewhere or go ride my bike to the beach. Or I can garden and just chill on the patio with a drink and the ten books I have waiting for me to read.  My time is my own now. I can do with it what i want.

Esteemed Contributor

My husband and I retired just before 2009. Before Covid, we went to the YMCA every weekday morning to work out. Therefore, our days were structured very much like work days. Enter Covid and my husband's worsening Alzheimer's. To be honest, I don't know what we will do now. My aerobics classes have not yet resumed but my husband's workouts on the elliptical can no longer be done alone. Fortunately, summer is here so we can take walks with our beagle.

Despite all the setbacks, we still wake up, shower, and dress each morning. I recommend that ritual. Having a dog certainly adds routine to our lives since dogs are very much creatures of habit and we must adapt to that. I'm hoping that our workouts will resume soon. Meanwhile we try to build routine into our lives so that...as Charlie Brown said....we can make our dog happy.

Honored Contributor

@Vivian wrote:

My husband and I retired just before 2009. Before Covid, we went to the YMCA every weekday morning to work out. Therefore, our days were structured very much like work days. Enter Covid and my husband's worsening Alzheimer's. To be honest, I don't know what we will do now. My aerobics classes have not yet resumed but my husband's workouts on the elliptical can no longer be done alone. Fortunately, summer is here so we can take walks with our beagle.

Despite all the setbacks, we still wake up, shower, and dress each morning. I recommend that ritual. Having a dog certainly adds routine to our lives since dogs are very much creatures of habit and we must adapt to that. I'm hoping that our workouts will resume soon. Meanwhile we try to build routine into our lives so that...as Charlie Brown said....we can make our dog happy.

@Vivian, Heart

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
New Contributor

Dear Loved Retiree, I am 77(almost) I worked, I had the "luxury" of being a stay-at-home"  mother then became a teacher when they both were in school full-time, but found parents expected us to discipline their children when they hadn't and turn them into Rhodes scholars when they would not listen, read or study! I retired to start a decorating for Christmas and bridal, showers and special events! On the East coast, people wanted trees and wreaths decorated for their retirement home family members! 24-30" trees w/ lights and 60 bows, pkgs, and specialties. Wreaths were 24-36" and individually decorated for the recipient. You can get a license easily to buy resale! You can do anything you want to do after you "retire" You can tutor the basics- they need so much now! Go to used books. On any subject. You will learn so much just preparing to teach! Children of any age need you! If you can sew,lots of ideas in my head! Silver cloth zipped into bags to store the jewelry pieces, canvas bags with changeable seasons or ?  Gift baskets to their desire, color or theme ( I just did a pink mom-pick-me up) basket) You will find something to do but don't let yourself get the stay-at-homes! Go out with retirees, non-retirees! If your are first, go back with donuts or invite after for nibbles etc! STAY ALIVE and STAY BUSY!

Trusted Contributor

@house_cat  I guess I'm in the minority but I miss working, I miss the routine of getting up in the morning at the same time getting ready for work and being out in the world with other people.  My worst fear was becoming less active if I retired and due to the pandemic that certainly contributed to both me and my husband hanging around the house with not as much to do and each gaining a few pounds.  Now that life has somewhat gotten back to normal for the time being - fingers crossed it stays that way - we are getting out much more and finally trimming down.  I still am nostalgic for my routine when I was working.  My husband loves having no structure yet he hates that very little gets accomplished around the house  Odd how when he was working he always found the time to get plenty of things accomplished.  I really don't like that about retirement.

Trusted Contributor

I'm actually doing more now than when I first retired. I think that everyone has to feel their own way as to what is right for them. At first, it was such an intense feeling of freedom, that I did whatever I felt like. Spouse and I did short trips within our state, went on hikes, read a lot, etc. now I am doing more volunteering (last night, I helped a community organization plant flowers in a community area downtown. You will settle into a pattern that is right for you. And don't let others bully you into volunteering for something you don't want to do. I hear lots of, "you have all this time on your hands--you can do it".

Honored Contributor

@joannecha wrote:

I'm actually doing more now than when I first retired. I think that everyone has to feel their own way as to what is right for them. At first, it was such an intense feeling of freedom, that I did whatever I felt like. Spouse and I did short trips within our state, went on hikes, read a lot, etc. now I am doing more volunteering (last night, I helped a community organization plant flowers in a community area downtown. You will settle into a pattern that is right for you. And don't let others bully you into volunteering for something you don't want to do. I hear lots of, "you have all this time on your hands--you can do it".

A very important point not mentioned nearly enough, @joannecha 

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

I have this thing about being productive in retirement so when I stopped working in my 50's, I made myself do eight productive things a day. Nothing special, but it might be cleaning a closet, washing the sunroom windows and so on. Now that my husband recently retired, we do basic household chores and exercise in the morning. I then watch soap operas while he reads or is on the computer. Our afternoons are left open for shopping, a game of cards or taking a drive. Believe it or not,  the hours will pass quickly!

Super Contributor

I am absolutely aimless all day, every day and just feel unproductive.  The dog and horses have exact times they must be fed and exercised so that's our structure.  DH, on the other hand, has his days structured to the nth degree.

He gardens, mows, washes his car, keeps broken things fixed, talks on the phone, grocery shops and might even pick up a part time job just for kicks.