Honored Contributor

Re: Retirees - how do you structure your days?

I retired very early (40 years old) and have more to do than when I worked.

After thinking it was *normal* to wake M-F to an obnoxious alarm, shower, hair, makeup, dress to kill, and get 3 children off to school, then head to work, it was a welcome relief to sleep till my body wanted to wake up.

No regrets, I get more done now, enjoy my home, enjoy my husband, enjoy my grandkids, enjoy my life!

I don't pay anyone to clean my home, do my yardwork, I know how to open a can of paint, so I am busy just keeping up with the day to day.

And did I mention how much I enjoy my husband?  He's newly retired (a la pandemic) and he seemed a bit embarrassed for sleeping late.  I told him that it was his body telling him he was tired and needed the sleep.  Sleep---so important!  Rest till your body knows when to get up.  

I keep him busy and he keeps me busy.  That's a good thing.  We relax, but we also know how important it is to move.

It's not like you will be sitting there watching the second hand move on the clock.  Believe me.

Keeping up a house and a yard and your appearance is time consuming!Woman Very Happy

Super Contributor

Welcome to the club! I have been retired for 1 year now.  At first, I thought I had to have a routine, but now I wing it!  I'm still an early riser (7:00 am) because I have 2 dogs and 2 cats to take care of but I love having a leisurely breakfast (I very rarely had time for breakfast when I worked).  Just remember, whatever you don't get done, will be there tomorrow!  Enjoy your retirement!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had so much structure and routine for so many years because it was necessary in order to complete each day.  When I retired I spend about 2 months walking around in circles because I had time on my hands.  Once I had enough sense to realise that I had really programmed myself for years, I needed to change my programming to be more relaxed.  I had no clock to watch, no deadlines to meet, etc.  Changed my routine to meet my flexible retirement needs!

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624    Amen.   I love being retired.  Do whatever I feel like doing or don't 

Honored Contributor

@house_cat 

I enjoyed the first three months of retirement.  I could not take it any more.  I started volunteering - foodbank, library, etc.  I also started taking beginning yoga classes, joined a garden club.  I need activity and structure in my life.  

Honored Contributor

@house_cat 

Congratulations On Your Retirement Greeting Card Second Nature Just To Say  Cards | eBay

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Structure---what is that??? No my days are not anywhere close to being structured----if I need to do something, I do it or notWoman Wink--wait---I do pay my bills on a schedule----everyday is a weekend for me----Woman Happy

Respected Contributor

Exercise, volunteering, church activities,  book discussion groups, Osher Lifelong Learning classes, club meetings, etc.

Honored Contributor

@house_cat No advice, as I am still working, but wanted to say Congratulations on your retirement!!!!Enjoy!

Trusted Contributor

@house_cat 

Congratulations!  A new chapter is about to start, and I have a feeling you will enjoy it.

I have been retired for a few years.  At first, it was strange.

I remember standing in a short Starbucks line, in no rush,

in the middle of the day!  I couldn't get over it!

I connected with another friend who had retired young, and

loved doing what I also enjoyed:  walking together, joining a health club, having coffee and just talking.

Soon after, I decided to become a docent at a historical home

a few miles from our home.  It was fun, and I did that for a year and a half.  I met people from all over the world, and every day

was an adventure.

Up until the pandemic, I was a member of a larger health club with lots of classes for older people:

water aerobics

dance

balance

There are times when I miss the crazy, busy life I used to have, but I miss it for about 5 minutes!  I am around it when I see our sons and their wives!  Juggling so much and having little time for oneself. 

When you retire, make sure you let us know how you are doing.

There is a lot to do out there.  And now that things are beginning

to open up more,  I hope you find your niche.